Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Re: budget estimate for adding roller furling???

We have a Catalina 27 tall rig. same size luff as yours. This past winter, we ordered and have received a CDI FF6 (with ball bearings). We ordered this from the Sailnet store - best price, just under $800. But be aware - you will need to order the furling line and fairleads separately.

We will be installing this week, so can let you know how that goes. So far, it seems to be well built. You can install over your existing forestay IF it has toggles at both ends. If not, then the forestay needs to be replaced too.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

If you are not racing, changing out the jib is not a big deal as in the CDI. Same with luff tension. CDIs are well thought out and work effortlessly and don't have halyard wrap problems. Good pricing too.
John
mstern likes this.
Old 06-03-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
If you are not racing, changing out the jib is not a big deal as in the CDI. Same with luff tension. CDIs are well thought out and work effortlessly and don't have halyard wrap problems. Good pricing too.
John
Two big thumbs up here. I have the CDI and for cruising, I think it's the most cost-effective solution. I bought the unit from my sailmaker (who matched the best internet price), and he unrolled the foil and attached it to my stay (the only tricky parts of the process). I then "installed" it on my mast (which was down for the season); it took about 38 seconds. I did not go for the ball bearings, but I have one of the smaller units. Maybe it would be worth the extra dough if you are handling a bigger sail.
Old 06-03-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
The CDI furler runs the jib halyard up and down the furler. This eliminates the option to use a winch to tension the jib's luff. The solution offered by CDI is to run a line up and down the sail tack and furler drum a couple of times to get a multi-part purchase, but there is a lot of friction with this method.

On a standard furler it is easy to get hundreds of pounds of luff tension (if that is appropriate for your sail and conditions) using a mast or cockpit mounted winch. On the CDI furler you would be lucky to get 50lbs of tension. That can have a great effect on the position of the sail's draft.

The Alado copied this part of the design from CDI.

The small size of the halyard, dealing with a messenger line for the halyard, and having to tension the sail's luff in this odd way makes sail changes take a lot longer than on a conventional furler. That makes one less likely to put on the right sail for the conditions.

The money saved on the Alado or CDI furlers might make these tradeoffs the right ones for you, I just think that it is important to be aware of them.
Old 06-03-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Mine cost me under $100 to build 30 years ago to build , but they now cost closer to $150 in materials . I have used the same type of unit since 1980, with no problems.
Huge safety factor, not having to go forward to reef or drop the jib.
Old 06-04-2014

Memopad is on a distinguished road

A couple of thoughts: Halyard wrap is only an issue if you make it one. There are quite a few ways to address the issue and a proper furling installation should remove any potential issues. To me proper installation includes getting the foil as far up the headstay as possible, and having the sail cut/pendants installed so that it gets a full hoist. On most boats that will be good enough, but occasionally you'll need to change the halyard lead angle with a restrainer.

When sizing a furling system, headstay size and length are the critical components. Some units will have boat length recommendations as well, but those are secondary to the headstay length and size.
Old 06-04-2014
El Chupa Nibre

Mr. Bubs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Mine cost me under $100 to build 30 years ago to build , but they now cost closer to $150 in materials . I have used the same type of unit since 1980, with no problems.
Huge safety factor, not having to go forward to reef or drop the jib.
Do you have photos of this? Id' like to see how it's constructed.
Old 06-04-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
You might find that adding a jib bag and downhaul to your existing hank-on sail provides the ease of handling that you want for a lot less money. The jib bag allows you to store the sail on the foredeck instead of below and doesn't require removing the sail. The downhaul would allow you to douse the sail from the cockpit instead of sending someone forward. I installed a new furler a couple of years ago, but sometimes regret that and wish I had switched to hank-on sails instead.
Very true, but with a furler you can quickly and safely adjust the size of the sail, which IMO is a good safety feature.
Old 06-04-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Very true, but with a furler you can quickly and safely adjust the size of the sail, which IMO is a good safety feature.
A reef can be added to a hank-on sail that also allows you to do this. It is not as quick, but it is faster than doing a sail change. You have to lower the halyard a little bit, reattach the reef tack (with a little rigging those two steps could be done from the cockpit), and move the sheets to the new clew.

Roller reefing has some advantages and some disadvantages. It is an expensive upgrade and it is worth knowing about the alternatives. It makes sail changes harder than a hank-on boat, which for me is a major drawback. Roller furling gives you a passable but not good sail when you need to reduce sail area.
Old 06-04-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

You also need to budget for blocks to bring the furling line back to the cockpit, a rachet block at the cockpit, a cleat, and a halyard restrainer at the top of the mast. Be particularly careful to get the halyard at the correct angle to the forestay and furler, or you'll be getting halyard wraps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.