Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Consequences of complete battery discharge

Came back to the boat after 5 weeks away and found the two AGM group 31 batteries (1 year old) completely discharged. Boat was plugged into show power, BUT the marina had some work done on the piers, cut the power to the slip and forgot to restore it a few weeks back.

What am I looking at? Are the batteries essentially toast and I need to head out now and get replacements? Or are they ok, just with shorter expected lives? Or something else?

Thanks,
Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Consequences of complete battery discharge

Jim-
Yes, you have shortened their life and possibly damaged them.

But there is no way to tell other than recharge them, and then test them. Every battery maker will be a little different and a "100% discharge" is the cruelest service for any battery. Part of the question is how long they were totally discharged, longer being worse.

For a car battery (SLI type) four to six total discharges can totally consume the battery. For deep cycles...I'd take a guess from hazy memory they are at least 10x more robust. So charge them, gently if possibly, and fully. Then see what you've got. They're probably still quite good enough for your normal use.

There is a gizmo called a "battery brain" that will also cut off batteries when the voltage drops below a set point. You can find them on Amazon, on eBay, all the usual suspects including some auto stores. One more thing that can break of course, but a good way to make sure you really really have to try hard to do this again.(G)
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-02-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

If they were dead, dead for more than a week, as in 0 volts, they will not likely come back well... If it happened a few days ago charge them ASAP...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If they were dead, dead for more than a week, as in 0 volts, they will not likely come back well... If it happened a few days ago charge them ASAP...
Maine, the meter was reading, if I recall correctly, 11.5, not 0. I did restore power right away.

West River, MD
Old 06-02-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

at 11.5 they will be fine. according to my chart that leaves 20% life left. so it was just a really deep cycle. just be glad you didnt have a bilge pump get stuck on. what did wear the batteries down that low?

Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
at 11.5 they will be fine. according to my chart that leaves 20% life left. so it was just a really deep cycle. just be glad you didnt have a bilge pump get stuck on. what did wear the batteries down that low?
The only thing that was on was the bilge pump. Over those weeks we had some tremendous rains and water can come down the mast and into the bilge. The bilge pump appears to be operating normally. I spent the day flushing the water tanks into the bilge and the pump came on and off as expetected.

West River, MD
Old 06-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't think 11.5 was that big of a deal. Our inverter/charger has the cutoff mentioned above, but I don't think it kills the bank until 10.5v.

If they were damaged, the marina would seem to be some responsibility here. Clearly, they can't be responsible for every cut in power, however, I would shut systems down or get there to recharge otherwise, if I knew I was out of power for weeks, not days.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
The only thing that was on was the bilge pump. Over those weeks we had some tremendous rains and water can come down the mast and into the bilge. The bilge pump appears to be operating normally. I spent the day flushing the water tanks into the bilge and the pump came on and off as expetected.
Time for a new boot then. You don't have one of those auto-sensing rule pumps that spin every 2 min to detect water, do you? also make sure you use a multi-meter to find if you have any power draw. Many boats are left on a mooring ball for 6 months and come back to batteries at 90% left.

Old 06-03-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

I look at what else is going on with leaks ,electric or water

My boat lives on a mooring and has been through the same rain and there should not be enough water coming down the mast to run a battery down

Even my J24 which had no bilge pump never got more than 8 to 10 gallons in the bilge after a hurricane

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
The Following User Says Thank You to tommays For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

11.5 isnt catastrophic but its worse for agms than old flooded I have been told

I would do this:

charge them at a very slow rate for a long period of time...and then give it a nice blast on high charge after you have acheived normal voltage for your batteries

I know this goes against the normal equalize first(bulk charge) at high rate and then float charge but I have experienced decent results bringing back dead batteries like that

I just did it on my old truck battery that I have on the boat for projects and tools and stuff and that baby got down to 10...I charged it for 3 days on a trickle charger or 1 amp charger and then blasted it only after it got to a steady 12.5 after sitting a while...

that battery is still doing fine although I know its been damaged and its cycling abilities have decreased I still wouldnt through it in the trash

fwiw