Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-02-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
Victron Easysolar

has anyone considered this for on their boat?
Has anyone bought one yet?
I see it fairly new, and priced at about $2400USD from the two places I could find it listed.
The basic gist is 1400 watts of inverter power, A MPPT charge controller, a charger, it can boost your generator power, or shore power to give you more then it can draw from either.
It charges a 24V bank from solar at 50 amps. so 1300 solar watts.
charges from AC at 40 amps to 24V.
Whats to not like?

The only issue I see is if 3 years from now the MPPT controller burns up, your out an entire unit.
and price, ouch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Victron Easysolar

how big is your boat as that would seem to be for GIANT BOATS

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

48' 1400 watts for a giant boat?

Old 06-03-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
has anyone considered this for on their boat?
Has anyone bought one yet?
I see it fairly new, and priced at about $2400USD from the two places I could find it listed.
The basic gist is 1400 watts of inverter power, A MPPT charge controller, a charger, it can boost your generator power, or shore power to give you more then it can draw from either.
It charges a 24V bank from solar at 50 amps. so 1300 solar watts.
charges from AC at 40 amps to 24V.
Whats to not like?

The only issue I see is if 3 years from now the MPPT controller burns up, your out an entire unit.
and price, ouch.
I'd sooner get a Magnum inverter/charger with a separate Genasun MPPT controller. For about the same money you'd get higher inverter capacity and made in the US.
Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

I have crunched the numbers.
Initially I wanted the biggest inverter I could fit into the budget.
However when I did my power consumption the biggest thing I will be plugging in is the toaster oven, and only rarely. Mostly it will be running the PC's and the entertainment system.
1500 watts is the biggest I really need. When I fire up the AC units I will run the generator, then the inverter just needs to help start the AC units.

It also looks like the magnum is $2300 for the unit I would need with "load support" thats far to expensive for just the inverter charger.

I have to be careful too. It looks like easysolar comes only in 240 volt. unless they release a 120volt version I cant use it...

It looks like the Victron multiplus is only $1500, with "power assist" for 1600 watts. 2500 watts is only $200 extra. I wonder why the magnum is so expensive?

Last edited by UnionPacific; 06-03-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
I have crunched the numbers.
Initially I wanted the biggest inverter I could fit into the budget.
However when I did my power consumption the biggest thing I will be plugging in is the toaster oven, and only rarely. Mostly it will be running the PC's and the entertainment system.
1500 watts is the biggest I really need. When I fire up the AC units I will run the generator, then the inverter just needs to help start the AC units.

It also looks like the magnum is $2300 for the unit I would need with "load support" thats far to expensive for just the inverter charger.

I have to be careful too. It looks like easysolar comes only in 240 volt. unless they release a 120volt version I cant use it...
If you need load sharing then you will likely want a larger battery bank.. Most inverters will handle the inrush of starting an AC but AC should really never be run off batts unless you have Lithium... That is what the genset is for.

Personally I much prefer separate units. Pick the best MPPT, the best inverter/charger and move on. Personally I even prefer separate inverters and chargers....

I have pretty much moved back to Magnum for I/C's. I use Midnite, Outback, Morningstar and Rogue Power Tech for larger solar arrays. For small arrays I use Genasun, Midnite, Morningstar and Rogue.... The Rogue controllers represent a tremendous value if you don't need one larger than 30A....

Victron makes nice stuff but if in the US consider that the US Victron guy really knows very little in the way of detailed tech support.. If you have a bug or software glitch, it happens, and you need to get in touch with someone who knows what they are doing, like Matthijs, this could be a 3:00am deal...

I am not as sold on the load sharing as some are. In theory smoothing out the dips and bumps in frequency is a great thing but the reality is that these devices have more stuff to go wrong with them then does a simple inverter charger. With the Victron they can make up for lack of genset power by bumping out of charge mode and going into invert in tandem with the genset. I know of one situation where an aft stateroom AC kicked on and the owner was unaware. The genset could not handle both units plus other boat loads so the inverter borrowed from the battery bank, to add to AC needs, and depleted much of the capacity "load sharing". It was not the end of the world but the owner was surprised. I prefer to know when a large load is pulling from my bank not just allowing it to do it automatically.

If possible computers and entertainment systems are best run directly of DC with DC > DC converters. This can save you 25-45% in efficiency over using DC>AC>DC..

With Magnum they answer the phone, make the product in the US and support it extremely well. Don't get me wrong Victron makes some great products but when you need support it can be tough and this stuff is getting very technical and software issues and other glitches can and do happen.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-03-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I wonder why the magnum is so expensive?
Which Magnum?
Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Which Magnum?
The one with load sharing.

Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If you need load sharing then you will likely want a larger battery bank.. Most inverters will handle the inrush of starting an AC but AC should really never be run off batts unless you have Lithium... That is what the genset is for.

Personally I much prefer separate units. Pick the best MPPT, the best inverter/charger and move on. Personally I even prefer separate inverters and chargers....

I have pretty much moved back to Magnum for I/C's. I use Midnite, Outback, Morningstar and Rogue Power Tech for larger solar arrays. For small arrays I use Genasun, Midnite, Morningstar and Rogue.... The Rogue controllers represent a tremendous value if you don't need one larger than 30A....

Victron makes nice stuff but if in the US consider that the US Victron guy really knows very little in the way of detailed tech support.. If you have a bug or software glitch, it happens, and you need to get in touch with someone who knows what they are doing, like Matthijs, this could be a 3:00am deal...

I am not as sold on the load sharing as some are. In theory smoothing out the dips and bumps in frequency is a great thing but the reality is that these devices have more stuff to go wrong with them then does a simple inverter charger. With the Victron they can make up for lack of genset power by bumping out of charge mode and going into invert in tandem with the genset. I know of one situation where an aft stateroom AC kicked on and the owner was unaware. The genset could not handle both units plus other boat loads so the inverter borrowed from the battery bank, to add to AC needs, and depleted much of the capacity "load sharing". It was not the end of the world but the owner was surprised. I prefer to know when a large load is pulling from my bank not just allowing it to do it automatically.

If possible computers and entertainment systems are best run directly of DC with DC > DC converters. This can save you 25-45% in efficiency over using DC>AC>DC..

With Magnum they answer the phone, make the product in the US and support it extremely well. Don't get me wrong Victron makes some great products but when you need support it can be tough and this stuff is getting very technical and software issues and other glitches can and do happen.
You make a good point, Its great to be KISS all the time. I have a very small generator, 3500watts, and the load sharing allows me to limit the power drawn from the generator. Keeping the generator at 3000 watts or less will make it last a lot longer. So I can input that number into the software, and it will limit the draw on the gen to 3000 watts. In reality all I need is the main AC, and as far as I can tell it needs 14 amps with the pump. It has a starting surge of about 50 amps for 1/2 a second.

I hear you on the DC-DC for the computers. They do not make a power supply big enough for my media server. It has a 950 watts PSU, and typical running power is about 350 watts. Granted we will only have it turned on for movie night, and video editing. It can peak at about 800 watts when processing massive videos. We are thinking about a macbook, they have dc-dc converters, as do many PC's, my laptop however does not have a DC-DC ability, again, too much power draw.

Old 06-04-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The one with load sharing.
More than one Magnum inverter/charger has load sharing..