• 1 Post By BubbleheadMd
  • 1 Post By christian.hess
  • 1 Post By mbowser
  • 1 Post By captbillc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014

mbowser is on a distinguished road
Forestay toggle(s)

I am about to redo my standing rigging and have a question regarding the forestay. I will be using a toggle at the lower end of wire (Hayn HiMod), but I had an eye swaged at the top. Should I add a toggle to the top as well? Will I be doomed if I don't?

I am going from roller furling back to hank on, so I can't just replicate exactly what was there, but the furler didn't have a toggle on top if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Forestay toggle(s)

I recently went through this. I had toggles top and bottom, and assumed that the PO added them because he mis-measured the forestay and made it too short.

That was an incorrect assumption.

The toggles allow the forestay to fall off to leeward without work-hardening the wire, which will lead to a shorter working life.

Even a properly tuned rig will allow the forestay to sag off a bit. Strong winds, and sheeting hard while sailing close-hauled will always attempt to pull the stay off to the side. The toggles provide the necessary articulation.

You can eliminate separate toggles if your forestay fittings have "integrated" toggles, such as this by Hayn:
krisscross likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-06-2014

Thanks BubbleHeadMD, I understood the reasoning behind using the toggle, but wasn't sure if it was necessary to have them top and bottom since my roller furling unit never had a top toggle. I think you confirmed my suspicion that it really is a good idea. The reason I questioned it to begin with was that my roller furling unit doesn't have one at the top, but the rotating nature of furling forestays may negate that need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

toggles top and bottom is a must do on 99 percent of furler installations not only for letting the wire sag to leeward and give but to helpe prevent twisting and fatigue from furling in heavy winds etc..

2 toggles is always best but if your just using hank on a toggle on bottom is absolutely fine...

thats what I have...

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
mbowser (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
toggles top and bottom is a must do on 99 percent of furler installations not only for letting the wire sag to leeward and give but to helpe prevent twisting and fatigue from furling in heavy winds etc..

2 toggles is always best but if your just using hank on a toggle on bottom is absolutely fine...

thats what I have...

cheers
That makes my decision to go back to hanks that much easier. The RF was installed by a previous owner and I never really liked it. I never felt like I could get the best shape I could out of the sail, and when the wind piped up and I got overpowered, I would have to fall off the wind or attempt to partially roll up the jib which completely ruined any shape.

The fact that the RF had no toggle at the top leads me to believe that it was probably wearing prematurely as well so replacing all of it is a good thing.

Old 06-06-2014
new dad!

cool...yeah In general terms Im not a fan of roller furling but I understand its benefits but I also know there are many many many amateur and "pro" installations that are done badly inlcuding badly sized forestay or no toggles etc...

stays on furlers in general terms should be replaced twice as often as hank on stays...

so that translates to roughly every 5 years...

another issue I hate about most roller furlers is the inaccesability of the riggng under, most owner dont want to dissasemble the unit in order to check the condition of the swages or terminals etc...

Im also a fan of swaged stay up top and mechanical on bottom...a swaged up top wont suffer much crevice corrosion since water and stuff wont trickle into it, you save some money and you can get the exact forestay length for your boat with the use if any mechanical terminal you want

norseman, hayn, staylock etc...

anywhoo good luck
krisscross likes this.

Old 06-06-2014

Quote:
cool...yeah In general terms Im not a fan of roller furling but I understand its benefits but I also know there are many many many amateur and "pro" installations that are done badly inlcuding badly sized forestay or no toggles etc...

stays on furlers in general terms should be replaced twice as often as hank on stays...

so that translates to roughly every 5 years...

another issue I hate about most roller furlers is the inaccesability of the riggng under, most owner dont want to dissasemble the unit in order to check the condition of the swages or terminals etc...
I agree 100% regarding roller furlers and much of what you say is why I am going back to hank on. They are convenient though.

Quote:
Im also a fan of swaged stay up top and mechanical on bottom...a swaged up top wont suffer much crevice corrosion since water and stuff wont trickle into it, you save some money and you can get the exact forestay length for your boat with the use if any mechanical terminal you want

norseman, hayn, staylock etc...
Also, 100% agreed and was the reason I chose the swage-on-top route.

Thanks for the advice.
christian.hess likes this.

Old 06-06-2014
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road

i helped bring a 42ft vagabond from spain to antigua. the next year we were heading to florida. in the mona passage heading for the dominican republic the forestay broke in a blow. the boat had french masts with ball swaged to the stay on top. under tension it could not flex and the wire broke. that is why i prefer toggles.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-06-2014
new dad!

those ball swages are infamous for breaking...they break right at the neck part of the swage where the ball starts...