Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-15-2006

BeneteauMark is on a distinguished road
I've sailed on a couple of 40 footers where we used the winch routinely to furl the jib, but I never use a winch on my Beneteau 23's Furlex. Have heard of people untwisting the wire of the forestay using a winch to furl when something is binding up.

Agree whole-heartedly with the folks that say to check for something binding. I'd do some test furls dockside on a calm day. Definitely check for the halyard wrapping around the forestay. I've got the Harken roller lead on my mast to take care of that problem.

Mark
One Step Closer
Lake St. Clair, MI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2006

FRANK PALERMO is on a distinguished road
Alado Furling Gear

Am Considering The Alado Furler For My 29 Ft C&c Mark 1. Can You Give Me Any Pros And Cons About The Furler.

Thanks
Frank
Old 04-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Outer cores are safer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
I would think that the cover was removed, leaving the stronger, thinner core to go onto the drum. Same as we did, only we stripped the core out of double braid and replaced it with the (lower stretch) kevlar line.
In many modern lines, the strength is about 50/50, but the exterior jacket is often far more cleat and hand friendly, and far more UV/abrasion resistant than the inner core. Some inner core materials aren't even braided, and are very prone to snagging because they're just loose fibers..
Old 04-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good points, Sailingdog, hadn't considered the non braided cores.

In our case we used the thinner, stronger line and covered it with stripped out cover to improve the "hand" and to give the stoppers/cleats something to grab.

Can also visualize the core-less cover rolling up flat on the furling drum - compact and perhaps less potential for overrides?!?
Old 05-08-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
If you have an adjustable backstay easing it will help rolling up the sail. For sure if you need a winch something is wrong. Try eyeballing the roller at the top that the halyard attaches to. Is the halyard wrapping the headstay?
Old 05-08-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
Can also visualize the core-less cover rolling up flat on the furling drum - compact and perhaps less potential for overrides?!?
This is the primary reason for doing it. The core-less cover rolls up quite flat, and takes up quite a bit less space. It also furls much more neatly than the whole line does. The primary rigger who told me about this trick says it also allows you to go up a line size or so, making the furling line much more hand-friendly, than the thinner lines would be.
Old 05-08-2006

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
sounds like something's binding

I never had to use a winch to furl my 400 sq.ft. 110 jib on my 38' Irwin ,with a schaefer roller furler. Never tried it on the genny, Here in Corpus Christi, the wind is seldom light enough to mess with running a larger sail.
Art.