Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Jacklines - where to run them?

I feel compelled to chime in on my (our) approach:
  • I only use jacklines when the conditions demand. That's a relative concept of course, but I can tell you I've only clipped in for sea/wind conditions a 1/2 dozen times in the last five years. My spouse and I do clip in when we have to go forward when we're on watch by ourselves at night.
  • I purposely chose our boat to be a good working platform (and a good seaboat in general). That means wide side decks, tall toenails, good working space around the mast and foredeck, and lots of well-placed handrails.
  • I don't like halyards led aft. On my boats I've always had my halyards and reef lines at the mast. Sheets-only into the cockpit. I like being on the foredeck and working at the mast. It is critical (in my opinion) to be completely comfortable to be able to work on the deck.
  • I now wear my lifejacket most of the time, but that's since acquiring the fancy auto-inflatables (with harness). It's so comfortable I mostly don't even notice it. Before these jackets I did not wear one all the time, and I don't think it's necessary.
  • I have a furler on the yankee (came with the boat), but a hanked on staysail. I do change headsails, even off the furler, and if the furler ever died, I would consider going back to straight hanks.
KISS is a key approach for all we do on our boat (and our life). I don't think it's an old-fart thing, although I've often been accused of being a premature one .
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

premature old fart?

I think that should be my new sig line

I like it
T37Chef and MikeOReilly like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Part of the issue, is that when it comes to stuff like moving around on deck, there is just less to discuss. This is a discussion forum after all, and while I completely agree about learning to move about without falling over, it would make for a very short discussion thread.

I'm not old, but I do fart. I don't use tethers that often, I don't fear going forward, but I have learned some things here and changed my ways as a result of discussions on SailNet so I think the endless discussion can have merit once in a while. The "cold water bootcamp" that JackDale linked to, among other discussions has turned me into a 90%of the time PFD wearer. I used to only pull it out when things got snotty.

MedSailor
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-24-2014

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

I use a track on each side of the cabin top and a folding padeye for the foredeck. What I'm trying to do is to eliminate the line flex to ensure that I'm stopped before going over the side. I also use an adjustable length tether. Copied some ideas from what the USCG has on the the rescue boat at the Columbia River Museum and what's done on some Navy ships.
Cal-29
Old 06-24-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
I use a track on each side of the cabin top and a folding padeye for the foredeck. What I'm trying to do is to eliminate the line flex to ensure that I'm stopped before going over the side. I also use an adjustable length tether. Copied some ideas from what the USCG has on the the rescue boat at the Columbia River Museum and what's done on some Navy ships.
Sounds interesting and different that the usual setup. Can you post some pictures?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-24-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Jon,

I have some newb-ish crew on my boat, and we're going to do night races.
Some of these folks just don't have the experience at moving around the boat in a "seaman like way" yet. They should be secured to the boat.

I'm installing Wichard folding padeyes, on the aftmost part of the side decks. They will run to heavy duty, shouldered eye-bolts, which will replace one of the standard bolts on each side of my bow pulpit. The backing plates under the pulpit feet will be built up to accommodate the load of a body flying sideways.
I have adjustable jacklines coming, with buckles on the aft ends.

Last year during a night race, one of my newer crew went down to the low side to trim the genoa leech line, in nearly 20kts of breeze and a 4 foot chop. He had a PFD, but I was terrified that he'd slip off.

I'd prefer not to repeat that.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-24-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

"when I grew up sailing as a kid on Barnegat Bay, we virtually NEVER wore PFDs..." I have a long list of things we did as kids, and we all survived just fine. 'Cept for the ones who didn't, but nobody's asking them. Kind of a flawed way of thinking about safety.

(tbh though, the most frequent cause of premature fatality among my peers was MVA. Followed distantly by house fires.)
MedSailor likes this.
Old 06-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My jackline system came with the boat - a 50-foot length of 1/2-inch nylon webbing, a harness that goes in an instant, a bungee type tether with a "D" ring snap at both ends. I tie it to a bow cleat, run it to the base of the mast, where I take two wraps around the mast, then back through the cockpit to a stern cleat. I stretch it tight as a guitar string. It only takes a fraction of a second to clip on when I leave the cockpit, the tether is about 4 feet long, so I can't fall overboard, and the spring-loaded "D" ring can quickly be disconnected at the mast and attached to the forward segment in the blink of an eye. There have been a few times when I was glad I had it on, but never came close, at least yet, to going overboard. And now, with the new non-skid, Kiwigrip deck, the chances of slipping on the decks are zip and none. I think this stuff will grab your clothing and stop you dead in your tracks.

Gary
Old 06-24-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
"when I grew up sailing as a kid on Barnegat Bay, we virtually NEVER wore PFDs..." I have a long list of things we did as kids, and we all survived just fine. 'Cept for the ones who didn't, but nobody's asking them. Kind of a flawed way of thinking about safety.
Seems you've misunderstood my point, I am certainly not advocating any sort of 'return' to the rules (or lack therof) regarding stuff like PFD usage in the days of my youth. And, for the record, I raced on Barnegat Bay from the time I was 9 or 10, until I was 22 - and I'm pretty positive no one racing in the BBYRA was ever lost prior to the time PFD usage finally became mandatory...

Let me try another analogy... Another thing my family did throughout my youth, was driving back and forth from NJ to Vermont pretty much every weekend to ski. Everyone drove the big rear-wheel drive offerings out of Detroit back in those days, which were generally pretty terrible vehicles in the snow. Most everyone laid several bags of cement in the trunks back in those days, to compensate for the lack of traction... I'll never forget the seismic shift that occurred in the late 60's, when a member of our ski club bought a front-wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado, it was akin to a sailor using GPS for the first time... :-)

Funny thing was, in all those trips back and forth in snowstorms and worse, it was remarkably rare for drivers to wind up going off the road... They understood the limits and capabilities of both their own abilities, and the vehicles they were driving, and drove accordingly... They understood it was up to THEM to keep the car on the road, and not today's modern technological advances like all-wheel drive, traction control, ABS, and so on to keep them 'safe'...

Fast forward to today, and driving up to Vermont in the winter (or, to Lake Tahoe, as I more often do these days with my brother and his family). Absolutely astonishing, despite the remarkable advances and capabilities in the sort of vehicles that people are now driving, how many are still winding up in a ditch... :-)

See the point I'm trying to make? Maybe, just maybe, the folks in our ski club back in the day simply knew how to DRIVE ? Or, that us kids who grew up sailing on places like Barnegat Bay 50 years ago developed an innate sense of how best to avoid falling off the boats we were on, instead of a reliance of some piece of gear to keep us aboard ?
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep going! this is getting good

and I agree btw

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.