Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2014

Toller is on a distinguished road
Flotation and righting a capsized boat...

I have a 50 year old 12' aluminum sailboat. It had enough flotation to keep it from sinking, but not by much. I stuffed a couple old life vests under the seats and it rides much higher now. I was thinking of filling the seats with foam, but didn't.

I capsized it on purpose and found I couldn't right it. It was easy enough by pushing up on the mast, but I can't do that out in the water. Just for the heck of it, I pulled out the extra life vests I put under the seats. It sits lower in the water, and now can be righted. It is still not easy, but at least I can do it by standing on the centerboard.

Does this make sense? Less flotation, sits lower in the water, easier to right?

The good news is that I couldn't capsize it at all without pouring in a lot of water, and even then it went over slowly and should have been easy to save.

Last edited by Toller; 06-27-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2014

captflood is on a distinguished road
Re: Flotation and righting a capsized boat...

GREETINGS EARTHLING . Start collecting old soda bottles and lids and place in all available spaces. Each one can withstand 200 PSI. and can be fixed into the small spaces around the boat small bottles into small spaces and heat glue them together for the larger spaces. the life jackets are suseptible to chafe so gaurd against it. AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Old 06-27-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is entirely possible that it will be easier to right if it is floating lower in the water. It's all about the angles between the hull, mast, and water.

If it doesn't sink when you take out the additional flotation, then there's no real reason for it. So long as it doesn't sink, how easy it is to right is a lot more important than how high it floats in the water.
Old 06-27-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

with the mast just above the water line, you should be able to right her by taking a mast shroud or main sheet and hiking out over the hull....if you can not, you need to adjust things, leave the keel down, etc....so that by hiking out or standing on the extended keel and taking a line to the top of the mast you can right her.

We used to keep a beach ball tied off to the mast of our wet sailing boats to help us dump water from the sail as she came back up. Worked on cats as well as the monos.

best of luck.