Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-30-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road
Cradle question

I was replying to a post in another thread and it got me thinking about a problem I have with my cradle, and I was hoping someone here could give me some ideas.

The cradle that came w/ my 26' Pearson doesn't fit it. The boat sits on its keel, then each end of the cradle has a piece of plywood cut to the approximate shape of the hull for the boat to rest on. The problem is that they're too far apart and the aft one isn't shaped correctly. The one in front supports the boat properly at the front bulkhead, but the back one is about 18" aft of the back bulkhead, instead of underneath the bulkhead where it SHOULD be. The cradle is solid steel beams (at least, I think it's steel), and there are no adjustments for overall length. Other cradles in the yard all have adjustable pads, sort of like what's on top of boat jacks.

Sooo.. what's the best way to fix this?

Thanks..

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2014

krazzz is on a distinguished road
Re: Cradle question

A picture would help a lot. I built my own cradle as well as a trailer for my 32 ft boat. Any welding shop should be able to modify your cradle. The adjustable pads are available individually for about $75 a piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Re-shape the aft plywood support and move it 18" forward? Or make a new one. You may have to weld or bolt in..(or both)...two lengths of angle iron vertically to bolt in the new plywood support in the new correct position. Pictures could help.
Old 06-30-2014

Thanks for the replies; I'll snap some pictures next time I go up to the boat.. hopefully tomorrow. Moving the back support to where it should be and reshaping the plywood is of course one option.. it's HOW to move the back support forward I'm not real clear on.

I don't know anything really about welding. Can it be done on site? I have a friend who does great welding work, but he uses a flux welder that needs serious current, and there's no 220 where the boat is. Can it be welded w/ oxy-acetelene? When one of you mentioned that any welding shop could do this, do they typically make "house calls," or would I need to find some way of schlepping this monster steel contraption TO them?

Thanks again... much appreciated.

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 06-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Can it be done on site?
Yes, there are a lot of guys who have mobile units mounted on their trucks. It would be very basic fabricating. Without seeing it I would think it could be done in an hour or two.

The Following User Says Thank You to krazzz For This Useful Post:
bblument (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
Yes, there are a lot of guys who have mobile units mounted on their trucks. It would be very basic fabricating. Without seeing it I would think it could be done in an hour or two.
Thanks, krazz. I just found a welding company based about 15 miles from my boat and talked to them. I'm going to send'em some pictures and they'll get back to me w/ an estimate or to schedule a time for an onsite estimate if necessary. They did say if they can get it done in less than 8 hours, it won't be more than $600. Hopefully, your timeline of an hour or two is closer... but in any case it'll get fixed somehow and I won't have to stress next winter about the oil-canning of my hull.

Thanks for the push.

Barry

Old 06-30-2014

If they quote anywhere near 8 hours get a second opinion. I built my cradle from scratch in about 8 hours and I feel mine is way overbuilt compared to other ones in my marina. I would expect it to come back in the 1 to 2 hour range.

Old 06-30-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Seems to me that you want your hull supports to line up with the internal bulkheads. This should minimize hull distortion.
Old 06-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Seems to me that you want your hull supports to line up with the internal bulkheads. This should minimize hull distortion.
Exactly. If I wasn't clear about stating that as the problem I'm trying to correct, I apologize. The aft internal bulkhead lines up on a vertical line with the aftmost swept-back part of the keel. My cradle currently supports the boat about 18" further back than that, hence the distortion. Not good, and needs to be remedied.

Barry

Old 07-01-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

For years I used a Jowi cradle to store my boat (since moved to stands). Fully adjustable. Here's a link - you might get some ideas on how to modify yours.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.