Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad users only

I'm not in my 50s, but I use my iPad 1 for navigation too. Remember you need the 3G version (cell version) to have the GPS. I use and recommend BOTH iNavX and Garmin's BlueChart because I like having both raster and vector charts. I'll use ActiveCaptain for planning, but I find if I try to use it when actually underway I get crashes.

At the risk of being keel-hauled, I also use it as my electronic log, maintenance log, punch list, and it carries ALL of my navigation pubs (available as PDFs from NOAA, so I have the Light List, List of Lights, Bowditch, Coast Pilots, etc on there as well - probably about 50-75 lbs worth of books) and technical pubs (engine manual, etc). The PDF Viewer app was a free download, and does a really good job. Everything backs up to my computer.

The backup to this is my iPhone. Whatever works on my iPad also works on my iPhone. Tertiary goes to a handheld GPS, then finally I'm on to my charts. And I carry a computer on real passages.

I have also used this system underway during my day job on big ships. I like to be able to perform an early crosscheck of our electronic navigation system. Trust but verify.

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

I use isailor for planing and move it to my fixed unit

I like the fact that it generates a range and bearing for each leg which allows compass use should everything else break

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2014

rhpike is on a distinguished road

I use Navionics and Garmin apps on my iPad2 with cell service and internal GPS. Did you know that the Navionics app only shows True North? Don't know about the Garmin app, but assume it is the same. So if you create a route on your iPad app, it is degrees True. You will need to apply the correction for Variation if you want to use your boats compass. On the other hand, if you create a route on the iPad app and follow the route only using your app, you will be ok because no variation is needed.
2007 Hull #35
Lakewood Yacht Club
Seabrook, TX
cell: 713-825-9460
Old 08-20-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpike View Post
......the Navionics app only shows True North?.......
That surprises me. I believe its a user controlled option in Charts and Tides.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-20-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

One issue you will find is that an IPad draws 2.4 amps. most 12 volt chargers are 2.1 amps. Sooner or later it will go dead if in use, even if plugged in!
Old 08-20-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Untrue. I just solo'd around Delmarva with my iPad Gen2 plugged in the entire time, sharing the 12v adapter with my Dual XGPS150 puck.

Just ensure that your 12v adapter can pass the needed current to the iPad. Also, dimming the display at night greatly reduces the power draw.

Regarding iPads freezing up while looking for updates and attempting shore connections:

I'm not 100% certain yet, but I think the best way to avoid this is to use an external, Bluetooth GPS puck like the Dual XGPS150 or 160, and DISABLE Wi-Fi and 3G/4G connectivity. If the iPad is cut off from Wi-Fi and cell networks, it will not be attempting to download updates, and it will not experience intermittent network connectivity that leads to slow performance and system hang-ups.

I realize that some of you like to access email, weather websites and AIS websites when near shore, but I would not enable 3G/4G or Wi-Fi unless you're running a backup navigator as Maine Sail does.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-20-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I realize that some of you like to access email, weather websites and AIS websites when near shore, but I would not enable 3G/4G or Wi-Fi unless you're running a backup navigator as Maine Sail does.
When we have the need to be connected, the wife turns on the "hot spot" on her phone. I just had no need to purchase a data plan for the iPad.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 08-20-2014
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road

I use the Navionics package and like it a lot. I've had it for about three years or so. On the old boat, we didn't have a chartplotter in the cockpit. With our new boat, we have a Raymarine e127 in the cockpit but I still use the iPad for the quick 'what-if' plotting of routes. Also, Raymarine provides apps that either allow me to view only or view and control the chartplotter from the iPad (including the autopilot). So I didn't need to put a display down below. I can just use my iPad to look at radar/wind if we are anchored and bad weather is coming.

I also have Seasonality Go which provides a number of useful graphs (like predicted winds/precipitation/...)

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.