SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Buy doyle sails (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/151801-buy-doyle-sails.html)

northoceanbeach 07-07-2014 04:18 AM

Buy doyle sails

Im loving these doyle sails I got. You guys were right when you earlier recommended I go with a local loft and get the service. I kindof dismissed the importance of that at the time but now I realize how invaluable it is.

There are a lot of posts about what sails to buy and I just can't say enough about Doyle and the seattle rep. When he came to put them on he spent a long time making sure they were set up right and I really appreciate it. Compared with some other service I recently received on a different project its appreciated all the more. Really good boat service an parts/labor is hard to get. It's nice when you have a really positive experience.

Plus made in Massachusetts or New Zealand. You can't beat that.

As a bonus, you know how you get to put your boats number or maker logo on them. He custom made the Red Baron symbol so I'll look sexy as hell.

PBzeer 07-07-2014 04:56 AM

Re: Buy doyle sails

While I had a very good experience with the now closed Doyle loft at Clear Lake (TX), my experience with the Annapolis loft was not a good experience. So while I'm pleased with my Doyle sails, service can vary by loft. Something that probably holds true for other brands as well.

Using a local loft though, is still a net positive to me.

Classic30 07-07-2014 09:53 PM

Agreed. The guys at Doyles NZ are good (they sometimes come over here to help the local guys out), but I've moved away from using Doyles here after a couple of bad experiences.

In my experience, the majority of them (including Doyles) don't cut their own cloth but get it shipped in from China (or elsewhere) to their measurements and either stitch the panels locally or, like Taskers, get the whole thing made overseas.

At the end of the day, good custom sails are a product of a good sailmaker - and the name of the company he happens to be working for this month is, at best, misleading..

Dave_E 07-08-2014 12:52 AM

Sail lofts are akin to car dealerships, you don't hate your Ford because dealership X is a looser. The Doyle rep in the Everett area has not impressed me (dishonest, didn't do the work he said they did and was going to take $450 from me). But I'm not going to let that loft sway my dislike or like for Doyle sails.

northoceanbeach 07-08-2014 03:36 AM

The rep here, no doubt the same one in Everett did a great job for me. He assured me the sails are 100% cut and sewn in USA. New Zealand for that part of the world. No china involved for Doyle. Their website confirms this. They just built a huge new loft in Massachusetts and I think New Zealand. Well one or the other at least.

Classic30 07-08-2014 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1995409)
The rep here, no doubt the same one in Everett did a great job for me. He assured me the sails are 100% cut and sewn in USA. New Zealand for that part of the world. No china involved for Doyle. Their website confirms this. They just built a huge new loft in Massachusetts and I think New Zealand. Well one or the other at least.

Hmmm.. well, I was told by one of their most experienced sailmakers that whoever it was at Doyles that buggered up the cutting of my last headsail couldn't read English...

PBzeer 07-08-2014 04:38 AM

I have a Doyle StackPak (2006) and a Doyle Headsail (2007), one bought in TX, one in MD. Both sails were made in the Caribbean (I forget which island). Perhaps they've changed how they do things, but that was the procedure when I bought mine. I've never heard anything about their sails coming from anywhere in Asia.

northoceanbeach 07-08-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic30 (Post 1995457)
Hmmm.. well, I was told by one of their most experienced sailmakers that whoever it was at Doyles that buggered up the cutting of my last headsail couldn't read English...

Probably just immigrants. I don't know about New Zealand but in Massachusetts there are a LOT of immigrants from all over the place. Could be just that. I know we thing of a typical sailmaker as a yachty looking white guy but at factories in New England there are a lot of foreigners.

Classic30 07-08-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer (Post 1995465)
I have a Doyle StackPak (2006) and a Doyle Headsail (2007), one bought in TX, one in MD. Both sails were made in the Caribbean (I forget which island). Perhaps they've changed how they do things, but that was the procedure when I bought mine. I've never heard anything about their sails coming from anywhere in Asia.

PB, things have changed a lot in a few years..

Excluding exotics (like 3DL) for a sec, essentially there are two types of sail lofts: the Value-Add type stitch their own; the Importer type order the completed sail from Asia. Fortunately the first type are in the majority still, but it's market-driven so who knows what the future holds.

The key to this is to find out where they get the cloth. Up until the early part of this century, sailmakers would buy rolls of cloth (typically only Dacron, Mylar and Kevlar back then) in various grades, cut the panels in-house and stitch up, but that means stockpiling large amounts of expensive material in the hope that someone will want a sail made from what you have to hand and with the advent of new fibres (Carbon, Vectran, etc.) stockpiling a vast range of expensive 'raw material' doesn't make economic sense.

Around 5 years ago now, with the purchase of some Australian and European technology under FTAs with moronic governments, Chinese polyethylene manufacturing shifted up a gear. Sailmakers the world over then got smart: "Why stockpile large amounts of material when we can order only what we need on-line using 'just in time' principles?? We'll need less storage space, overheads will go down and we can (unless we're greedy) pass the savings onto customers." So.. if you were to go into your local modern loft now and order a new sail, they order the cloth you want, usually in computer-cut panels, directly from the manufacturer - and usually from Asia.

Since the art of good sailmaking is in the way the panels are stitched together, good sailmakers retain that expertise in-house. That's why, over here at least, many people will only buy racing mains and headsails from a local loft of their choice - but where sail shape is less critical they buy spinnakers from a cheaper Importer (eg. Taskers), knowing there are is little or no difference in the quality of the cloth just the way it's stitched together, since the plastic all comes from the same place... just to the north of us. :cool:

northoceanbeach 07-08-2014 09:20 PM

Good post. Thanks.