Just looking for thoughts and recomendations on installing my new chartplotter - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter

Just looking for thoughts and recomendations on installing my new chartplotter

Have a lowrance elite 5 gold. Tartan 30. Figure ofcourse dash mount but just looking for any pointers, hints, hindsight, etc... that I might get before hooking up. Do I need to hook it up to an always hot connection as someone told me?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-07-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Re: Just looking for thoughts and recomendations on installing my new chartplotter

No, you don't need to hook it up to an always hot connection. It is better to have the ability to switch off power to it. I have all of my instruments on a circuit labeled "Electronics".

Is your boat tiller or wheel?

A simple solution that doesn't modify the boat one bit is to make a board that slips into the companionway and holds the plotter and other electronics. That way it is stored inboard when you don't need it, and is easily visible from the boat.
MedSailor likes this.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-07-2014
first sailed january 2008

Re: Just looking for thoughts and recomendations on installing my new chartplotter

Mine are on an electronics switch too. Why not get the lowrance plotter and mount it off to the side of the companionway where they normally are?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to northoceanbeach For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (07-07-2014)
post #4 of 15 Old 07-08-2014
Master Mariner

I would recommend that you install the plotter where you can easily see and reach it from the helm.
I have seen them in the companionway, in the forward part of the cockpit, on the pedestal and lately, low down, in between the two helms, (quite unviewable and unreachable from either helm, unless you are sitting on the cockpit floor).
We absolutely love having ours close at hand, on the pedestal, to make adjustments, change scales and lighten or darken the screen, for instance. In a squall, with the wind howling around you, the rain pelting you like buckshot, it is so nice to have that screen right there, close at hand, easily viewed and it is comforting to know your course, speed and location, especially when you can't see 6 feet in front of you.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 07-08-2014 at 12:43 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-08-2014

My "electronics" breaker powers up one of these :

ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems

Then the individual items have a smaller fuse, each : chartplotter, NMEA 2000 network, MFD, etc. I still have some room for expansion, too.

Makes for much neater wiring than running each item back to the breaker box, separately.

Plus, if one device develops a fault, it won't take out everything.
MedSailor likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 07-08-2014 at 01:31 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-08-2014

Your Lowrance is about the size of my Garmin 441. I used an Edson pedestal Mount, it's wasn't cheap but it's extremely solid and well made. Worth every penny; and the plotter is right there. I agree with Capta you can't beat the convenience.

For wiring, I have a breaker labeled Nav/Comm on the panel. It powers up the plotter, VHF and NMEA 2000 backbone (and devices).

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 15 Old 07-08-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My "electronics" breaker powers up one of these :

ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems

Then the individual items have a smaller fuse, each : chartplotter, NMEA 2000 network, MFD, etc. I still have some room for expansion, too.

Makes for much neater wiring than running each item back to the breaker box, separately.

Plus, if one device develops a fault, it won't take out everything.
This is important, because as you add more and more electronics to your circuit the breaker must increase in size. Some of these puppies have really small wires, and if you've upped the circuit breaker to cover all the items it powers, you could still have a fire.

MedSailor
chucklesR likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-08-2014

PS, I have NMEA 0183 connections in and out to the plotter (GPS signal to VHF, AIS signal to plotter) so I found the simplest thing is to break out the entire signal cable that comes with the plotter, connected to a screw terminal block, rather than messing about soldering wires together.

This has some advantages :

It took a few goes to connect things so that it worked, so screw terminals help with that.

You have easy future expansion.

I have seen the terminal block mounted inside a waterproof box, which I didn't do, but would next time, as the small wires in the signal cable are delicate.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #9 of 15 Old 07-08-2014

I mounted my Lowrance Elite 5 on the bulkhead of my Oday 23. The only spare circuit on my fuse board was non-functioning, so I connected it directly to the battery (with an independent fuse circuit, natch). I can't shut the power off to it, but that's ok because I take it off the mount and store it inside whenever I leave the boat.

The location is ok and the view is good for the helmsman, but if someone is sitting next to the bulkhead, then the view of the screen is blocked. If I hadn't had to drill out a 1" hole in the bulkhead to mount it, I would seriously consider remounting it on a swing arm.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-10-2014
Banned

My connection is always hot but it is fused . This pic is of the back side of the cockpit bulk head .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.