Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2 Days Ago
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Ah!quick help. Extender plate under furler?

So basically my standing rigging job it done very poorly.

They are here now fixing it....I don't know what to say.

The forestay is too short and the backstay too long. So the mast rackes forward their solution is to put an extender plate under the harken furler drum and hacksaw the backstay and put a non swaged fitting. Like a Norseman

Is this acceptable? I just had new sail made and they were measured with the old rigging.

Also I don't know how to handle these things but they didn't do a good job. They out a new gooseneck on and used too short of rivets so my first sail the boom flys off. It scratched the hatch and bent my boom kicker. It also put strain on the mainsheet traveller when the boom was shock loading it and there is a bit of cracking above the bolt where the mainsheet was at the time.

They also didn't reattach my mast wires of which there are a lot. Are they supposed to?

An lastly they had a plate made to hold in the cars for the mainsail which didn't fit so I got one elsewhere. What am I supposed to ask for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 2 Days Ago

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Re: Ah!quick help. Extender plate under furler?

Solution my a**! Do not accept it. Make them take it off and remake the stays! Forestay length is critical. You will forever be doing "work-arounds" because things are not correct.

Charge them for the damage to the boat because the boom came off.

If you hired them to unstep your mast and restep it, they are responsible for everything involved which includes electrical. If you took it apart, they are not rersponsible for it unless that was agreed upon that they put everything back together.
sailorbill1 likes this.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 2 Days Ago

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
So basically my standing rigging job it done very poorly.

They are here now fixing it....I don't know what to say.

The forestay is too short and the backstay too long. So the mast rackes forward their solution is to put an extender plate under the harken furler drum and hacksaw the backstay and put a non swaged fitting. Like a Norseman

Is this acceptable? I just had new sail made and they were measured with the old rigging.

Also I don't know how to handle these things but they didn't do a good job. They out a new gooseneck on and used too short of rivets so my first sail the boom flys off. It scratched the hatch and bent my boom kicker. It also put strain on the mainsheet traveller when the boom was shock loading it and there is a bit of cracking above the bolt where the mainsheet was at the time.

They also didn't reattach my mast wires of which there are a lot. Are they supposed to?

An lastly they had a plate made to hold in the cars for the mainsail which didn't fit so I got one elsewhere. What am I supposed to ask for?
As an absolute minimum they must fix the rigging so that your sail will fit and be of use.
They should repair or replace the damage done when the boom let go.
They should repair or replace the boom and the boom kicker.
Start photographing and writing every step in this process, you may be going to small claims court.
I would not let them do any other work on the boat except to remedy their errors.
John
Old 2 Days Ago
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

a lot of this issues can be resolved by you knowing more and what you want for your boat

for example someone familiar with rigging wouldnt accept a too short forestay and a too long backstay

DIY...learn or do not pay for that work...or get it done properly no matter how long it takes

for example do you know how much rake and tune your rig should have? if you do, then you can tell the rigger more specifics, so he can make better measurements...

now having said that...its hard to see what all went wrong without being there

why did you need work on the gooseneck?

why did you get custom sails instead of say stock bristol sails at any of the numerous budget sailmakers, like rolly tasker, quantum, etc...

here is quite a snappy question but are you on ac45s or something? whats all this about using the old rigging for your new sails?

if your old rigging was stock and GOOD then that means you are safe...you just need to FIX your NEW crappy done rigging...

also if you have the old rigging, why isnt that used for the new rigging measurements?

right?

I can see where a really good sailmaker would take TUNING measurements of your rig and fit your sail to that...

but I dont see where the actual old rigging measurements themselves can be hekpful any way

its the tune and measurements taken while in tune of the rig and sail that can be of advantage

but there are many on here much better riggers and sailmakers even that can add to this thought...

hope it works out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2 Days Ago

I hired them to step and unstep the mast. I'm not sure how I like this extender bar.

I had a bigger gooseneck put on because the old one looked weak.

Sail are a better fit because they measured for my boat, they look great, I got a higher weight cloth and they're made here.

I'm not sure what you mean by ac45 or old rigging.

Standing rigging doesn't last forever.

Old 2 Days Ago
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

north I wanst trying to be mean...

but your posts are confusing

I recomend google images for many things

for example I know profurl and others USE tangs under the drums...

not all furlers use this...

soooooooo go to google images and type in karken mark 3 furler installation

get ideas.

now do you see that we can get confused when you say your rigger did a bad job and then in another post you say I hired them to unstep and restep the mast

so does that mean rigging too?

I saw you started a thread on the doyle sails, they are great...but then you start this post where you are worried about them fitting your new "bad" riggging

getting new rigging is a good move, but getting crap rigging, done bad even if new is worse than old stuff.

also Im very confused by your last sentence, what do you mean you dont know what OLD RIGGING means?

its obvious that means the rigging previously on the boat before you got these "riggers" to do the job

or no?

did it not come with rigging?

pics of profurl "extender" plates

http://scream.darusha.ca/index.php/f...oller-furling/

scroll down this boat for sale add and you can see a perfect pic of the tangs on each side of the turnbuckle
http://www.nichenet.com/spartina/

in this pic you can see some very crude basic stay extender tangs I had made down here for my aft lower stays

hope you dont mind the pic

cheers

Last edited by christian.hess; 2 Days Ago at 09:09 PM.
Old 2 Days Ago

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Don't want to sound too obvious but is it possible that they installed the head and backstay backwards? That would explain why one is "too long" and the other "too short" by the same amount?
christian.hess likes this.
Old 2 Days Ago

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Don't want to sound too obvious but is it possible that they installed the head and backstay backwards? That would explain why one is "too long" and the other "too short" by the same amount?
I asked this in his other tread "furler". He answered no, they did not. Seeing would be believing though. I think we may be dealing with some dyslexia or other communication problem.
John
Old 2 Days Ago

They didn't install them backwards. I'm sorry I was confusing everyone. I was in a hurry. Ill try to be clear. And Christian, I didn't think you were being rude.

Doyle made the sails. They aren't involved in this rigging project. I only mentioned them, because when they came and measured and made my sails, they measured for a furler that was properly installed, with one toggle, and it is pretty close to the deck.

The rigging co. Installed a toggle that looks like the one in the above photo. It raises the furling drum about eight inches higher than it should be. So I worry that this will leave a gap between my deck and sail. With my old rigging the sails were perfect this new rigging was supposed to be just like the old, but newer and one size thicker.

Many things got broken and damaged. I only mentioned the unstepping the mast to clarify that I didn't do it myself and that was part of their job. I know some people take down their own mast and bring the wires into the rigger. I hired them from start to finish.

They cut my mast wires and didn't label them correctly so now they are coming back tomorrow to try to reinstall them. I talked to an electrician and hopefully nothing got damaged with them rewiring things wrong. The electrician said led light are very sensitive and it's very possible that something's got damaged.

Old 2 Days Ago

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
They didn't install them backwards. I'm sorry I was confusing everyone. I was in a hurry. Ill try to be clear. And Christian, I didn't think you were being rude.

Doyle made the sails. They aren't involved in this rigging project. I only mentioned them, because when they came and measured and made my sails, they measured for a furler that was properly installed, with one toggle, and it is pretty close to the deck.

The rigging co. Installed a toggle that looks like the one in the above photo. It raises the furling drum about eight inches higher than it should be. So I worry that this will leave a gap between my deck and sail. With my old rigging the sails were perfect this new rigging was supposed to be just like the old, but newer and one size thicker.

Many things got broken and damaged. I only mentioned the unstepping the mast to clarify that I didn't do it myself and that was part of their job. I know some people take down their own mast and bring the wires into the rigger. I hired them from start to finish.

They cut my mast wires and didn't label them correctly so now they are coming back tomorrow to try to reinstall them. I talked to an electrician and hopefully nothing got damaged with them rewiring things wrong. The electrician said led light are very sensitive and it's very possible that something's got damaged.
8 inches ... Thats way off. I'd be surprised if the headsail still fits on the foil.

Hopefully you have not paid them yet.