Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
How tight dinghy inflation. Plus lights

I'm doing alot of dinghy riding these days. I actually think it's really fun! It's crazy fast. Also a great photography took as I had hoped. I have a fast af camera of course or it would not work as well.

Anyways. As I'm sure you all know during the heat of the day it's pretty tight and as night comes, and I do do a lot of riding at night it's a bit too deflated.

I would like to pump it up at night and get it tight at night and then really tight during the day. It's already maxed out ôn foot pump pressure during hot days.

But...I don't want anymore problems, not least of all overinflating my dinghy at night and when it heats up and expand it puts too much strain on something. Maybe the glue that holds the fiberglass to the hypalon. I seriously doubt it would pop. But I want to keep it nice for a long time. So I ask. That's all I ask.

Bonus question being lights(don't go back and read my thoughts on those from last year). Is it silly to put running lights and a small battery on a 9 foot RIB? I was thinking LED with those nice waterproof wires running to the smallest battery I can find. I even have a 7watt rollable solar panel from last year that could be hooked to the battery. Laid over a tube.

Good idea or stupid? Also, how would you make mounts for the lights? The stern could go next to the engine in the fiberglass but the other two would have to have some kind if tube mount. Or ideas? I've got the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: How tight dinghy inflation. Plus lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I'm doing alot of dinghy riding these days. I actually think it's really fun! It's crazy fast. Also a great photography took as I had hoped. I have a fast af camera of course or it would not work as well.

Anyways. As I'm sure you all know during the heat of the day it's pretty tight and as night comes, and I do do a lot of riding at night it's a bit too deflated.

I would like to pump it up at night and get it tight at night and then really tight during the day. It's already maxed out ôn foot pump pressure during hot days.

But...I don't want anymore problems, not least of all overinflating my dinghy at night and when it heats up and expand it puts too much strain on something. Maybe the glue that holds the fiberglass to the hypalon. I seriously doubt it would pop. But I want to keep it nice for a long time. So I ask. That's all I ask.

Bonus question being lights(don't go back and read my thoughts on those from last year). Is it silly to put running lights and a small battery on a 9 foot RIB? I was thinking LED with those nice waterproof wires running to the smallest battery I can find. I even have a 7watt rollable solar panel from last year that could be hooked to the battery. Laid over a tube.

Good idea or stupid? Also, how would you make mounts for the lights? The stern could go next to the engine in the fiberglass but the other two would have to have some kind if tube mount. Or ideas? I've got the time.
The manufacturer of your inflatable will have stipulated the maximum inflation pressure of the tubes. Check the owner's manual, often available on-line if you no longer have the document, and act accordingly. Simple pass-through pressure gauges are available from both the SailNet Store and Defender (e.g. see Marine Air Pump Parts & Accessories on Sale) Inflate the dinghy during the heat of the day, not at night. Over pressurization can/will cause seam failure.

For lighting, likewise see Marine Portable Navigation Lights on Sale. We use the Inovative LED lights which have proven more durable than the Aqua Signal lights (hint: store them until needed without the batteries installed!). We have a stern light mount on the top of our engine cowling but, from a previous threat, another alternative for the all-around stern light appears below.

Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails
How tight dinghy inflation.  Plus lights-dinghy-light.jpg  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-14-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

eggzactly

north ocean avoid doing exactly that DO NOT PUMP UP TIGHT AT NIGHT...if you do you MUST deflate a bit before the sun starts shining

just like a tire or tube you have max PSI stipulated on your owners manual and almost always neer tha placard or valves on the dinghy.

an overinflated dinghy is the best way to cut the lifespan in half or more...seems start to stretch, valves leak, etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 07-14-2014

See, that's why I ask, so I don't do something stupid. I haven't, I won't. I actually do have the manual. I'll check west marine for the gauge.
christian.hess likes this.

Old 07-14-2014

when we were cruising every day we would let out some air before midday...or simply never inflate it all the way...that makes the valves last longer by not constantly messing with them.

another trick is to oil the valves and springs every once in a while as it will keep them lubricated and prevent leaks...some have an oring some are just plastic peices...

if it was a reaaaaaaaaaaaally hot day for some reason a release(push of the button) or 2 of the valves before sitting on the tubes was enough.

when storing a RIB on deck for a cruise we always had the tubes half inflated and covered the tubes and bottom with a cover...

in tropical latitudes this is a must...the seams, fabric, stitching in some cases could degrade enough on a single passage if uncovered...

Old 07-14-2014

How tight should it feel web pressed on at the hottest part of the day? Should you be able to significantly push it in?

Old 07-14-2014

yes with just your thumb it should indent an inch or 2 at least, but try different pressures

another trick is simply go by what your foot pump tells you...you will notice the pumo start doing half pumps and almost no pumps when max pressure has been reached, when you reached that

let out an equal amount of air from each valve to be at the "perfect" amount

that way works too

Old 07-14-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
How tight should it feel web pressed on at the hottest part of the day? Should you be able to significantly push it in?
We're talking about dinghies right? grin

I'd say you shouldn't be able to significantly depress the tubes. I can't depress my inflatable tubes 2 inches. I'd say it feels like a basketball, a soccer ball, or tennis ball....(maybe a slightly less) depending on your sport.

More like your forehead than your cheek.. ;-)

The gauge is really helpful along with the manufacturers recommendations
T37Chef likes this.
Old 07-14-2014

wow now were are getting technical!

not to be quirky here but a tennis ball can be completely compressed even when new....but I agree compared to a soccer and basketball Id go with a tennis ball for comparison

oh another non technical visual way to check for how much air is good is if you get any wrinkles(creases) anywhere you are too low...they usually appear where you sit and close to the tranom

Old 07-14-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I've had the lights that look like flashlights. They didn't last as they were not really waterproof and were difficult to keep in place.

Now we have this light with the accompaning pole mount.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...556&id=2217408

It is excellent. I don't even tie it to the pole anymore, the magnetic attachment works so well.

Regards,
Brad
chef2sail likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!