Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By SSBN506
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Removing cutless bearing without removing the shaft (Video)

I decide to make threads for some probably all of my projects I think the sailnet community may be interested in. This is a series of videos on diagnosing and replacing a cutless bearing without removing the shaft.

The first step was to diagnose their was a problem with the bearing. Quite obvious I would say. Before replacing the bearing when at some rpm's the boat would have a strange rattle. It sounded like a bulkhead rattling against the hull and it was every two seconds or so. It was the bearing so if you get a rattle every few seconds at certain RPM's check you bearing.

http://youtu.be/bxa-cnl2v-4

The next step was to remove the prop. I did the removal using a gear puller and a hammer drill.

Or a much better way is the use the puller itself to remove the prop.

Now on to remove the bearing. I didn't want to buy a strut pro but I did find someone who rented one he had made. Worked very well. sold me the bearing also.

Last but not least putting the knew bearing back on.

Last edited by SSBN506; 07-15-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2014
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Removing cutless bearing without removing the shaft (Video)

Yup I made one of those things to change the bearings on a stink pot.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 07-14-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Nice..

Your gear puller can be easily converted to a two jaw. That is what the empty black stand off is, the one without the arm on it. You just need to pull one arm off and move another and the puller turns it into a two jaw..

I own a Strut-Pro, and it gets lots of use, but Ken's tool looks quite good for a 1" shaft..

NOTE: If the prop does not want to pop with the gear puller apply some light heat to the prop hub with the puller loaded up. I generally use a heat gun, but if careful a torch could be used too. It can take a while to evenly heat the hub, but all of a sudden the prop will just pop off. A lanyard on the puller is a good idea...

A properly lap fitted prop will usually break a typical gear puller unless you also use heat.... Improperly fitted props come off easier as they have significantly less contact area over the taper.
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Nice..

Your gear puller can be easily converted to a two jaw. That is what the empty black stand off is, the one without the arm on it. You just need to pull one arm off and move another and the puller turns it into a two jaw..

I own a Strut-Pro, and it gets lots of use, but Ken's tool looks quite good for a 1" shaft..

NOTE: If the prop does not want to pop with the gear puller apply some light heat to the prop hub with the puller loaded up. I generally use a heat gun, but if careful a torch could be used too. It can take a while to evenly heat the hub, but all of a sudden the prop will just pop off. A lanyard on the puller is a good idea...

A properly lap fitted prop will usually break a typical gear puller unless you also use heat.... Improperly fitted props come off easier as they have significantly less contact area over the taper.
Thanks for the tips I will add them to the video. I love your site by the way. I found it years ago and there are to few pro's who post stuff for those of us who have no access the a full service yard. Your post on battery monitors, solar and stuffing box were huge helps to me. I subscribe to your YouTube channel also.
Old 07-15-2014

I forgot one. remove the prop with the barring puller. Much more likely to work then the gear puller.

Old 07-15-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I always reinstall using white lead. Too old school?