Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014

FourthCoast is on a distinguished road
Low Rider

Hello!

I have been hesitating to post about this issue since I am afraid I may destroy the couple of dollars of resale value in my boat.

In the photo attached you can see that she floats a lot higher in the bow that at the stern. The lines at the stern end are clearly under water. The scum line at the end of the year also shows that this happens while tied up at the dock.

Is it possible that the previous owner painted the lines at the wrong location? Is the fiberglass so water logged that it is riding this low? Would a lighter engine help? Do I need to go on a diet? I would really like to fix this if possible.

This is a South Coast 23 with a 9.9 HP Honda in an outboard well.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Faces and registration numbers have been obscured to protect the innocent.

Scott.
Attached Thumbnails
Low Rider-lowrider.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road
Re: Low Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthCoast View Post

In the photo attached you can see that she floats a lot higher in the bow that at the stern. The lines at the stern end are clearly under water. The scum line at the end of the year also shows that this happens while tied up at the dock.
Is there a water tank forward and is it empty or full?
Old 07-14-2014

Thank you for the response.

There is a water tank forward and it is empty.

The previous owner suggested that the boat is designed to sail with the tank full. From what I have seen it appears that keeping the the front tank full only makes the bow lower. The stern still rides as shown in the photo.

Is this normal?
Old 07-14-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

She does look a bit heavy in the tail. I seriously doubt that there is anything wrong with the fiberglass... it's the same stuff above and below the waterline. Perhaps, and it's a big perhaps, there could be some blistering IF the hull below the waterline was barrier coated.

More likely is weight distribution. Smaller boats are extremely sensitive to where the weight is. As an experiment, remove everything aft of the mid point that isn't nailed down and isn't part of the rigging (you, anchor, chain, electronics, bimini). Drain any fresh water & holding tank. If that fixes the problem, start adding back essential stuff (you, anchor, chain) and see where she rides.
Old 07-14-2014

Thanks Sabreman,

Let me make sure I reading your post correctly.

I will move everything I can forward and then -- if that does not fix it -- I will need to get a bigger boat, right?

I hope I can explain this to the Admiral properly.

But seriously, I will try moving everything I can and see what happens.

Scott.
Old 07-14-2014

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road

Pretty boat.
Old 07-14-2014

fallard is on a distinguished road

Saberman has the right advice on weight distribution. Your SC 23 has a moderate overhang in the stern and needs to squat to add buoyancy as you add weight aft. Assuming your Honda 9.9 is a 4 stroke, it would be about 30 lbs heavier than a Johnson/Evinrude 6hp 2-stroke that was probably used when your boat was new. If you are positioning your fuel tank far aft, that would further aggravate the situation.

It sure looks like you've loaded down your cockpit with stuff, based on your photo. As Saberman suggested, you would see a change as you move stuff forward, but you also might consider relocating heavier items that you will keep further forward. You might stow your bimini forward when not in use to reduce the scum line. Keeping your forward water tank, if it is forward of your CG, won't hurt, either.

Overall, given your beam and the aft overhang, you don't seem to have a particularly bad situation.
Old 07-14-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Actually, I was suggesting removing everything aft of the midpoint (and temporarily putting it on the dock). That will give you a basis for evaluating if too much weight aft is the problem. You can just move gear forward, and that may fix it too. But when I was writing, I was more interested in seeing if you can get the boat light and even keeled, using a systematic approach.

As I'm sure you read in Sailnet, there is a big tendency to load boats up with a lot of gear. I think that Shackleton had less stuff than some people seem to have crammed on their boats. So my interest was in seeing whether you can get your boat floating properly, then add gear systematically. On our boat, "get rid of stuff" is a mantra.

But as fallard observes, the boats with long overhangs have less buoyancy, bow and stern. So while they look lovely, there are limitations. This is why you really want to keep the weight low and off the ends. Of course, an anchor stuffed in a hatch in the middle of the boat's cabin will do you no good, so you have to compromise.

As an aside, our boat is bow heavy. I've removed everything I can forward of the mast (except the anchor) and she's still about 1" lower than I'd like. I have a funny feeling that the mast is leaning a little forward of where it should. 65' of aluminum and rigging a degree or so off vertical would be enough to put the bow down an inch. But when we have a race crew in the cockpit, she floats nice.
Old 07-14-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Keeping your forward water tank [full], if it is forward of your CG, won't hurt, either.
Think you originally meant to have the added word there.
Old 07-15-2014

Thank Sabreman,

Next time I am out at the slip I will make a renewed effort to remove all the things I can. I have been trying to do that for some time now. That is why I am wondering if I have something saturated with water or something else that I do not see immediately.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I love sailnet.

juggleandhope - Thanks! I hope to get her all cleaned up a shining some day. I looked hard for a international folkboat like yours, but I could not find one a reasonable distance away. Those are very pretty boats.

Scott.