Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014

andyselzn is on a distinguished road
harness and tether

am planning on crewing on a trimaran from hawaii to sf. am looking for a safety harness and tether to take with. i have climbing harnesses but am told that those are not safe for sailing as they tend to keep the body in the water. so, i looked at west marine and saw this: WEST MARINE Ultimate Safety Harness | West Marine. it doesn't look that special! is that the best option?

how about a tether? will a standard climbing tether be just fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: harness and tether

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselzn View Post
am planning on crewing on a trimaran from hawaii to sf. am looking for a safety harness and tether to take with. i have climbing harnesses but am told that those are not safe for sailing as they tend to keep the body in the water. so, i looked at west marine and saw this: WEST MARINE Ultimate Safety Harness | West Marine. it doesn't look that special! is that the best option?

how about a tether? will a standard climbing tether be just fine?
You must think usability.
What kind of PFD?
You should be able to wear
- foul weather gear
- PFD
- harness
At the same time without one interfering with the other.

A typical climbing harness have the attachment for the tether to far down, would easily end up being towed head down.

I personally prefer a inflatable PFD with integrated harnes.

The tether must not be to long (preferably keep you on the boat) and should have two hooks so you are always clipped on.
andyselzn likes this.
Old 07-15-2014

instead of foulies, i have gore tex, north face, mountaineering jacket and bib.

what brand inflatable pfd + integrated harness do you recommend? and tether?
Old 07-15-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
instead of foulies, i have gore tex, north face, mountaineering jacket and bib.
Will probably keep you dry and warm, the three layer clothing works in the mountain and on the water

The point I was trying to make was that you must take the gear on and off several times during a trip like this.
And it must be used at the same time without interfering with each other.

Quote:
what brand inflatable pfd + integrated harness do you recommend? and tether?
Don't know what kind of makes & models you can find.
Should have
-crotch strap to prevent it from riding up.
-Sprayhood
-light

On some models / makes these are extras, so check that before comparing.
Try it on it should be comfortable using and working in.

I have a Spinlock Deckvest,
disclaimer: I know that it's not USCG approved and that some have died when using a PFD of this type.
andyselzn likes this.
Old 07-15-2014

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Suggest a Wichard ORC tether (Wichard ORC Bermuda Race Tether) and a Mustang Ocean Series Hydrostatic vest with integrated harness. A crotch strap is sold separately. Needs to provide adequate protection and be comfortable too --ese you won't wear it. Add a water activated strobe and whistle. Since you'll be offshore, think about a PLB as well. Carry a knife on your person.
andyselzn likes this.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 07-15-2014

These things are very pricey Any options that do the job and are less expensive?
Old 07-15-2014

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Yeah, but don't be the guy who, during his memorial service, they say, "but he saved $50 by making his own harness and tether...". They wouldn't put it on your tombstone because they probably wouldn't find your body. I check my inflatable each year (max 18 months) by jumping in while wearing it. I've never gone overboard and each year, the vest inflates perfectly -- costing me ~$25 for the re-arming kit I need to purchase. I don't want to go overboard at night (or anytime) and learn then that my PFD won't inflate. There are other things to save money on. Don't DIY here unless you really --REALLY -- know what you're doing. You pay for research, testing, quality materiels and decades of experience in maritime safety. #petpeeve
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 07-15-2014

mrmac is on a distinguished road

I did a fair amount research before our trip to Bermuda. Some general learned information I wrote up here. For first time blue water crew member

I chose not to get the auto-inflate PFD. A friend who got the hydrostatic model watched it inflate while rinsing the salt off when we got to Bermuda. I know that it's not supposed to do that, but it did.

You DEFINATELY want the harness/PFD combination. I didn't get that and was really sorry each time I prepared for the night watch in the dark.

My wife got this and liked it very much. Note: This model does not have a crotch strap.
Defender.com Search Results: 552188PFDRBCA

For the tether, you will want the retractable tether with a 6' and a 3' strap. One of the crew had a tether whose 3' strap was not retractable. I liked the look of that.

ASP-283SETE
Double Retractable Tether
Kong ISAF Safety Harness Tethers
Old 07-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I personally like the Spinlock inflatable with integrated harness. It fits me well and is comfortable over long periods. Comfort is very important. Crotch straps are also critical and these come integrated as well.

Plenty of people wear non-sailing clothing and it can work. However, sailing foulies do have some important features you may not find in mountaineering gear. Aboard a sailboat, you will be raising your arms frequently, so having snug wrist closures will limit the amount of water that runs down your arm, inside your jacket. Serious offshore jackets have water tight wrist seals. The high neck rolls on foulies is also pretty helpful, as it keeps you remarkably warmer in the wind, which you can find yourself sitting in for a half day. What is comfortable for an hour or two, could make you hypothermic after 10 hours. You lose a ton of heat from the neck up.
bvander66 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-19-2014
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Being using spinloc deckvest for 10+ years.
By far the most comfortable and in my opinion best designed integrated pfd and harness around. Lasteat models have spray hood, cutter, whistle and locating light built in.
Integrated leg loops/crotch strap allows you to choose most comfortable set up for you.
Soft tether attachment wieghts less and more comfortable than large metal D rings

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.