Building a Quality Boat from a Bare Hull - What's Involved and $$ - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Building a Quality Boat from a Bare Hull - What's Involved and $$

A generalized estimate, going by what folks have reported latelythat. yards charge to fit out and install.

15k engine +, 15k rig and sails, 7-10k interior, 6-8k exterior, with incidentals; call it nearer $50K. !!!

Mostly DI?, prolly half that if ya wait to find bargains and used equipment.AND if ya wanna take 4-6 yrs to do the job.Average the two, come up with 35K and there's plenny of boats like the one your'e looking at for under that figure if your willing to clean it up some

Go small,go cheap,go NOW
joebeach likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2014

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for your responses. Clearly this project is uneconomical, unsuitable, untimely, etc., etc. - or at least it is for me.

Once again the bracing feedback of the SN crew has slapped the temporary insanity out of a dream-walking noob. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Joe, as soon as you mention hiring someone to do the work, there goes the budget. I think you can guarantee that hiring someone to do custom work, as opposed to buying a factory-built boat in any condition that is usable "as is", will cost you at least DOUBLE what the complete boat would have cost.

Now, if you want a ten thousand dollar education in boat building, but the three thousand dollar boat and you'll learn a lot while you're at it. Just remember, find out what you can buy a ready boat for, and cut off your spending before you reach that point.

On the engine, a one-lunger would be fine for a light 24' boat. At that point you're still pretty much in outboard territory, so even a hamster cage with good bearings (and steroids for the hamster) will do. Twice as many cylinders, and the boat is no longer a light-air boat, it is overweight and out of balance.

Personally? I'd say RUN AWAY. Don't get into a project boat until you've got the skills, unless you want to make the project into a long skill-building affair.
Old 07-15-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeach View Post
Thanks to all for your responses. Clearly this project is uneconomical, unsuitable, untimely, etc., etc. - or at least it is for me.

Once again the bracing feedback of the SN crew has slapped the temporary insanity out of a dream-walking noob. Thanks again.
Joe, that boat was a kit boat that most likely was never finished by the owner. The Allegra 24 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road

I evaluated that boat too.

I like the Allegra 24 and the boat you listed definitely caught my eye, but it's not a boat for someone that wants to sail it right away or can't do the work themselves. If we had the space, I'd have bought it (the boat is worth more than $500) and worked on it, but not without having another boat or knowing that it could be 2 years before she sees the water.

There is no way I'd pay a yard to do the work, the cost and likelihood of incompetence isn't worth it. If you did most of the work yourself, the cost could be less than a Dana 24, but paying a yard you'd end up over the $70k+ that a Dana runs. If you did the work yourself, you could probably finish in under $35k, not including the cost of your time.

OTOH, the beauty of a boat that size is that it is only 24ft and everything is a lot simpler and cheaper. You can also build it to your liking.

If you like that style, you might take a look at the Flicka. There are a few on the market right now for less than $15k.
Old 07-16-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road

OMG - run away. 3k for the boat, a year to three renting space at a boat yard, weekends lost scouring the internet for hard to find parts, easily a grand spent on tools (just for you), inevitable fights and differences of opinions with contractors.. firing contractor, hiring contractor...

Sailing is supposed to be fun. Mine's old too and I know I don't have many/most of the skills needed to bring her back to ship-shape, but i can sail her all season and either learn the requisite skills each winter or learn to grab my ankles, but I'll still be sailing.
northoceanbeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

A project like this is good for one thing only. Learning the skills necessary to build a bigger one. Like any good education it will cost you money and time. So unless you really want to spend a lot of cash to learn to build a boat there is no point in it.

I have seen way to many people get into these projects thinking they can save a boat load by doing the work themselves, and wind up sinking more money into them that they will ever be worth. Typically projects like this go thru multiple buyers before ever hitting the water, and only the last buyer has a prayer of coming out of it ok.

Just an example, I know of a 54' boat that at the time was selling in the $300,000 range. A guy bought it for $2,000. Thinking he would fix it up and save a huge amount of money. Two years and $250,000 later he sold it for $50,000. That owner dropped another $150,000 and sold it for $100,000. The third owner spent an additional three years and $200,000 to get it back in the water. But she is now in amazing shape. Not a single buyer thought they were going to loose money, but only the last buyer stands to make a dollar on this project.
Old 07-16-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I helped my Dad build both boats & houses, really not much fun, for me, anyway.

I enjoyed sailing more than building. If you want to learn "skills" there are lots of ways to do that besides building a boat.

To each his own.

Paul T
Old 07-16-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Ill play

DIY to finish the interior you need at least 5k in materials, wood, glass etc, tanks. That will get you an interior,

then move onto the rest.

true amateur builder or restorer could get this boat up and running in a year or so, and spend anywhere from 5k to 15k depending on what is wanted.

market value for said boat would be around 7.5k on a good day.

no matter how you slice it this boat wont make money to the new owner or succesive owner after him.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWEVER if its a project of love and dedication and you use it and love her, ane keep her a while

thats PRICELESS

so who cares...
Ferretchaser likes this.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 07-17-2014

CharlzO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Joe, as soon as you mention hiring someone to do the work, there goes the budget.
My thoughts exactly. If you aren't able to do the work, you just sunk the project, pun partially intended. The labor alone to cover anyone else doing the work is going to skyrocket your costs beyond feasible.

It would have to be a truly one-of-a-kind vessel to even consider hiring someone else, and would be a definite labor of love. If you are able to do the work, even then it's barely a wash half the time I bet. I know I've put more into mine than it's worth, and that was barely anything. But for me, I did the work myself and it's my learning experience, so it makes it worth it TO ME. No one else afterwards is going to care what I put into it, they will only value it at market.

All that said though... and I would love to start with a bare hull and create something of my own doing. To me, it sounds like quite the adventure, which I'm sure in a bunch of years I will do. But to hire someone to do it... either a very special boat, or very deep pockets with no regard to resale market value.
christian.hess likes this.