Building a Quality Boat from a Bare Hull - What's Involved and $$ - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014

joebeach is on a distinguished road
Building a Quality Boat from a Bare Hull - What's Involved and $$

Trying to get a sense of what's involved in finishing and fitting out a clean(ish) project boat.

The particulars: there is an ad for an Allegra 24 hull on Craigslist in Cape Coral, FL for $3K asking - there are 3 photos. The interior photo show a "new" forward bulkhead with compression post, sole, and nothing else but the bare fiberglass hull. The second photo shows one of seven (uninstalled) bronze portlights. The last photo shows what appears to be an intact hull on jacks (possibly on a trailer) with a sloppy looking paint job and an unstepped mast beside it. A Yanmar 1 cyl is available "separately" (I'd upsize to a 2 cyl). Presumably there is nothing else - no rigging, sails, rudder/tiller, internal structure of any kind, etc.

The Allegra 24 is a rare bluewater pocket cruiser, reportedly a stretched and improved reworking of the Flicka, (being bigger, faster, and less prone to stern squatting). It was mostly sold as a kit boat, I believe in the '80s and '90s. The most comparable boat to it is probably a Dana 24, which has a PHRF of 228 (not bad for a small heavy cruiser), and sells used for $40-50K.

So - this is an opportunity to take the hull of a solid, proven bluewater pocket cruiser that is also (reputedly) a decent light air sailor, and finish it out as you would like it - it's a blank, high-quality sailing canvas.

And I am a dinghy sailor with no boat-building, mechanical, electrical, or construction skills, whatsoever.

My (crazy) questions are:

1 - what would it cost, roughly, to complete the interior of this boat to a comfortable, clean, rugged standard for cruising - meaning joinery, glasswork if any, plumbing and through-hulls, electrical (not including gizmos), 2 cyl diesel w drivetrain, etc. - IF one didn't have the skills or time to do it himself, and wanted to hire a competent yard or builder or series of workmen to do it for you?

2 - where can one get plans for #1 above? Is it necessary to hire a naval architect, or can one buy available plans for a comparable boat for a few hundred dollars and count on competent workmen to adapt them as necessary?

3- what would it cost, roughly, to complete the exterior of this boat to a comfortable, clean, rugged standard for cruising - meaning sails, rigging, lifelines rudder/tiller, prop, portlight installation, bottom paint, non-skid, windex, etc. - IF one didn't have the skills or time to do it himself, and wanted to hire a competent yard or builder or workmen to do it for you?

4 - Is there anyone you would recommend or consider for the work at ##1-3 above, particularly if in the Tampa Bay area?

5 - Assuming reasonably full-time work by experienced people, what is the approximate time from acquisition to splash-in, e.g., is 6 months reasonable?

Yes, I realize that this project is probably way too expensive to farm out, and a better project for someone with the skills, or the time and inclination to develop those skills, to take on. But the Allegra 24 is a boat I've been interested in for a while, and I'd like a least to get some thoughts (from more experienced sailors and project-finishers) on what it might take.

And if this thread alerts someone on SN better suited to the project about this boat, I'm OK with that. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Building a Quality Boat from a Bare Hull - What's Involved and $$

You might want to look at Ben Zartman's site concerning his construction of (click on) Ganymede
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 07-15-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2014

Westsailforever is on a distinguished road

Depends on how bad you want it Joe . There are lots of books to read on the subject . I would say when your done you will have more into it than if you found one ready to go, I think . You talk about the Dana 24 for 40-50 , check this web site (boats for sale) Westsail 28 . You have me thinking though you want a cruiser but you are talking about PHRF ratings. Any boat can be sailed badly(slow) and then given a unfair reputation . Check out the SHTP race going on right now a Westsail 32 sailed by Gary Burton, he is first in his division and fourth over all . Just click on the owners association . Good luck let us know how it turns out . WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO.

Last edited by Westsailforever; 07-15-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

gad, I know how to do it all, make it happen (with help) and I would not even consider such an undertaking. If you want to sail, find a boat that meets most of your needs and go sailing!
davidpm and Captainmeme like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2014
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I started out with a 36 foot hull. No deck. no cabin , not even stringers or bulkheads. Just a flimsy tub..... took me two years to splash and then another 6 month to make it livable. Don't want to think about the costs. But I did everything myself other then the sail. Jeckels made them.

Good luck

Michael
christian.hess likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 07-15-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeach View Post
1 - what would it cost, roughly, to complete the interior of this boat to a comfortable, clean, rugged standard for cruising - meaning joinery, glasswork if any, plumbing and through-hulls, electrical (not including gizmos), 2 cyl diesel w drivetrain, etc. - IF one didn't have the skills or time to do it himself, and wanted to hire a competent yard or builder or series of workmen to do it for you?
Far more than a used Dana 24, and probably more than a new one. It's the same work as building a new Dana 24, and without the yard having the advantages of molds and fixtures and knowing exactly how a Dana 24 goes together.
Old 07-15-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

omg

offer em $500
davidpm and christian.hess like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yeah thats not worth 3k...no way even for me who loves these project...its just a hull...

there is no rigging and a motor separately(btw the yanmar 1 cylinder is fine for that size no need to go bigger)

look at other boats in this size range and you can get them in the water in ready to sail shape for even cheaper...

might not be a flicka(dana) but damn decent.

Old 07-15-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
offer em $500
And make them include the motor. If they don't take it you can offer it to them again in two years. Look into an Albin Vega well under 10,000 for a ready to go proven offshore blue water boat. And will have more room than this and be more comfortable.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

or a folkboat, contessa 26, triton, etc...jejeje