SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Paint Removal

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Elie 
#1 ·
HELP!!!
I spilled boot paint on my FG hull. How can it be removed without damaging the gel coat.

#2 ·
Ahoy,Depends what kind of paint. If it has bonded chemically to the gelcoat your out of luck but I suspect that if your hull has any wax on it or if the paint is just on the surface a razor blade or nylon scratch pad should work. Acetone wont hurt the gelcoat, but will remove the wax. If it has bonded into the gelcoat you can sand it out and repair the gelcoat if necessary. I suppose the size of the painting gaff is material as well. Feel free to contact me. Big Red 56

#3 ·
Hi!.
I just finished the task of removing my old waterline stripe with a commercial paint remover(the milder one used for antique furniture ). It worked quite well and the gelcoat was never affected. Here is the trick I used: Using a small(1") paint brush, I applyied a very thin coast of remover over a small area at the time. As soon as small bubbles started forming on the painted surface, I quickly scrapped the layer of paint with a sharp scraper, with little pressure, and using a wet sponge cleaned immediatly the area. The idea is that the thin layer of remover will spent all its effect on the paint and wont have any power left to affect the gelcoat. You have to be patient and carefull. The paint lifted easyly, like an almost dry ribbon under the scapper. Almost fun.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.