Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Vang line slipping in cleat

My new-to-me boat is forty years old, and it seem like some of the line is that old too...

Anyway, the vang line looked to be the oldest. There was a similar length of line in the toolbox that was also the same color, so I assumed the previous owner meant that as a replacement. Last night I took off the old line and put on the new one, and now it slips like #### through the cam cleat. If I give the cleat a little push then it sets, but otherwise after you pull on the line it pulls back a few inches.

So... Is it an issue with the line? I have no idea what it is, maybe it's cheap crud.

Is it an issue with the cleat? Should I rough up the gripping surface? Or lubricate the moving bits?

Or do I just use it a bit and the line will roughen up?

Here's pics:

Old 07-19-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Vang line slipping in cleat

The new line is likely slipperier than the old one which is the immediate problem. The other problem could be with the cleat itself. There are springs under the cams and they may not be as robust as when new. Also the teeth on the cams may have rounded over the years. You might take the cleat apart and see what the possibilities are or see if you can replace just the cam cleat not the whole fitting. Before doing this compare how yours works compared to a new one in the store.

Good and helpful pictures by the way.
Minnesail (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
The new line is likely slipperier than the old one which is the immediate problem. The other problem could be with the cleat itself. There are springs under the cams and they may not be as robust as when new. Also the teeth on the cams may have rounded over the years. You might take the cleat apart and see what the possibilities are or see if you can replace just the cam cleat not the whole fitting. Before doing this compare how yours works compared to a new one in the store.

Good and helpful pictures by the way.
I had a similar problem and it was the cam cleat, I took it apart, cleaned and a tiny bit of winch grease on the rotating parts, problem fixed... on to another problem...

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to socal c25 For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

If you carefully look at that cleat in your picture, you'll see that only one of the cleat teeth per side is engaging with that line.
Id recommend to change-out the present cam cleat for a more 'modern' Harken-type cam cleat with 'finer' and different 'engagement/'toggle' angle' so that you will have 'several' of the teeth engaged against the line simultaneously.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

A quick shot with WD 40 or similar then manually work the cams if that helps then lube them with a good spray lube if it doesn't seem to help then just get new camcleats they are not that expensive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

The line is too thin for that jamb cleat.

See how the cleat is fully closed? If you have a bit of thicker line it may work better.

Or maybe undo the two screws on the U bolt, and bang the bastard together a bit more. Then screw it down again and see if that improves it.

Older boats often just need a bigger hammer.

Mark
nolatom and Minnesail like this.

Old 07-19-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

On a zero budget? Try filing the cam teeth a little sharper.
Agree you need thicker line to spread cams wider.
Old 07-19-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road

It definitely looks like the line is too small for the cleat. I would either replace the line or replace the cleat. Making the cleat's teeth "sharper" is just going to chew up the line. You will find that a modern cam cleat will cleat and release much easier than those old metal ones. Easy releasing under load can be pretty important on a vang!
Hull#101
Old 07-19-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road

On closer examination of the pic, it does look like you may be able to squeeze the cams a bit closer together. The bottom right Becket looks bent., and other is a gap in the base plate of the cleat. I would still think about upgrading the cleat.
Hull#101
Old 07-21-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

It does seem like the line is too small, but it's the same size as the line that was there before and that line worked fine. Maybe the old line was stiff and coarse from age.

I'm not on zero-budget, but dang the list of stuff to buy just keeps getting longer.

I'll try taking it apart and lubing it and perhaps banging the bits a bit closer together, just for the fun of fiddling with things, but I'll also put a new Harken cleat on the list for next time I order a batch of stuff.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.