Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-20-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road
Pearson 26 genoa track and cars

Hi, all..

I post the following in the Pearson-specific forum here, too, but thought that some of my helpful friends here might have some ideas, too. Mods, if the double posting is a no-no, please accept my apologies and remove whichever post you feel is necessary.. no hard feelings.

Thanks... here's the post..

Hi, folks..

Still working on renovating and sailing our '72 p26. The block on the starboard genoa car is toast, and I'm sure it's still the original equipment. The block appears to made from tin foil with a recycled white plastic sheave. The sheave disintegrated over the winter, somehow.

I can NOT find a way to get the car off the original 4' long 1" t-track; the large washer "stoppers" at the end of the tracks seem to be welded on. Is that the case? Is my only option to do what I really SHOULD do (rip out the current track, and install new 10' tracks on either side with new cars so as to get correct sail shape for every headsail, instead of just huge gennys), or is there another, more budget-minded but serviceable option (removing the trashed car and just replacing it for now)?

The Garhauer equipment is withing our reach financially, but, dang it.. I want to go SAILING...NOW!!

Ideas?

Thanks.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Pearson 26 genoa track and cars

Can you post a picture?
Old 07-23-2014

Brian,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sorry I haven't replied myself. I'm out of town right now, but should be able to get to the boat on Friday. I'll snap a few pics then.

Best to you,

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 07-23-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

You should be able to change the block. Pics would help in figuring out what's going on.
Old 07-23-2014

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I hope it's that simple so I can go sailing without another project getting in the way again. I'm about 7 hours away from the boat now, but I'll be able to return to it on Friday. In the meantime, I'll try and describe the setup as clearly as possible.

The car itself is about 4" long with a screw-pin stop and a very small half-circle bail. The block seems to be permanently mounted to the bail on a single swivel. It looks like the attached pic, taken from Schaefer's site; the swivel part shaped like a shackle goes through the bail. How they GOT it through the bail I have no idea. Should I just cut it off, then mount a new block with a regular shackle if I can find one small enough to go through the tiny bail on the car.. and still be strong enough?

Thanks... pics will be here Friday night.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Pearson 26 genoa track and cars-shaefer-block-w-swivel.jpg  

Old 07-23-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Could be it was a made as a single assembly. I've seen them that way. Your solution to cut off the old block and putting on a new one may work. As you said, finding a block with a shackle small enough but strong enough that will fit through the loop on the car may be the issue. One option that should work (even if not very elegant) is to get a small stainless "D" shackle and use that to connect to a single block. You should have no trouble fitting the pin of the "D" shackle through the opening in the car. You will end up with two shackles (unless a single block with a "loop" not a swivel will work), but at least it will get you sailing.

The best option is figuring out how to get the stopper off one end of the track so you can install a new car.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 07-23-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: expanded details
Old 07-23-2014

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Hi, all..

I post the following in the Pearson-specific forum here, too, but thought that some of my helpful friends here might have some ideas, too. Mods, if the double posting is a no-no, please accept my apologies and remove whichever post you feel is necessary.. no hard feelings.

Thanks... here's the post..

Hi, folks..

Still working on renovating and sailing our '72 p26. The block on the starboard genoa car is toast, and I'm sure it's still the original equipment. The block appears to made from tin foil with a recycled white plastic sheave. The sheave disintegrated over the winter, somehow.

I can NOT find a way to get the car off the original 4' long 1" t-track; the large washer "stoppers" at the end of the tracks seem to be welded on. Is that the case? Is my only option to do what I really SHOULD do (rip out the current track, and install new 10' tracks on either side with new cars so as to get correct sail shape for every headsail, instead of just huge gennys), or is there another, more budget-minded but serviceable option (removing the trashed car and just replacing it for now)?

The Garhauer equipment is withing our reach financially, but, dang it.. I want to go SAILING...NOW!!

Ideas?

Thanks.

Barry
Check Dan Pfeiffer's site. He has sold his P26 but left a lot of info up. You should be able to reach him if the answer is not there.

Pyxis - Pearson 26
Old 07-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Check Dan Pfeiffer's site. He has sold his P26 but left a lot of info up. You should be able to reach him if the answer is not there.

Pyxis - Pearson 26
Thanks. I've become VERY familiar with Dan's site over the last year and a half of renovating the P26 from it's totally neglected and abused state when I bought it. However, I never considered just writing to him directly; thanks for the suggestion. Dan's a great guy... he replied the same day with a bunch of very helpful suggestions!

Much appreciated!

Barry

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hi, All..

Figured I'd post an update on the situation and some pics in case anyone's interested. I finally did figure out how to get the cars off; the fender washer acting as a track stop DID come off, but it was attached via some unseen adhesive from hell. It sure seemed like it was welded on, but I noticed a little crack on one side between the washer and track. I stuck an X-acto knive in the space, and it SEEMED like it may have penetrated about .0002mm deep.. but farther than it would if it had been metal or a weld. After using a sharp shop knife and a rubber mallet, I was able to finally pound a blade in a little bit and start working it around the washer. Eventually, I was able to get a chisel blade in there... then a screwdriver.. then I finally was able to get it off. I think I just had my first encounter with 5200.

I've ordered two new cars from Garhauer. In the meantime, I cut the ruined block off the car w/ bolt cutters and lashed on a replacement block. I had to lash it because even the smallest shackle wouldn't fit through the tiny bail.. not even the pin side because the flanges of the shackle that receive the pin are enlarged to accept the pin and make it impossible to get the pin low enough to go through the bail. In any case, I can at least sail again... providing I get my @#$#$# engine control issue solved.

There's a pic of the car/block attached, as well as a starboard view looking aft. Can anyone tell me what the block attached to a deckplate, near the front of the portlight, is for? A friend thought it might be for a spinnaker, but it seems far forward. Is it possible that it's meant for working jibs and storm jibs, and that the small 4' track aft is only meant for genoas?

Incidentally, I don't know if anyone read the thread last year about replacing the ruined portlights in my P26. I renovated them instead of replacing them. The one you see in the pic had holes drilled through the aluminum frame every 3" all around it, and the P.O. had screwed and siliconed a piece of plexiglas over the entire assembly on the outside. Of course, that didn't fix any leaks, and it was totally clouded over too. We welded all of the holes, put in new vinyl glazing and sealant, then put'em back in with 4000. Not a DROP of water has come in. A lot of work, but it paid off.

Best to all.. thanks for the replies and the help.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Pearson 26 genoa track and cars-broken-genoa-car-block.jpg   Pearson 26 genoa track and cars-genoa-track-4-feet-p26.jpg   Pearson 26 genoa track and cars-p26-starboard-side-looking-aft.jpg  

Last edited by bblument; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:30 PM.