Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Alaska - Canada Inside Passage suggestions?

Anyone have suggestions on good guide books or other support materials for the inside passage? If all goes well then we will be heading up next summer and we are beginning to put the materials together?

Otherwise, any thoughts on the trip from those that have made it? So far, talking to those I know that have done it, the common theme seems to be light wind and strong currents.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any admins wanna move this to General? I would have sworn that's where I put this. Hey, where are my keys...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Alaska - Canada Inside Passage suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Anyone have suggestions on good guide books or other support materials for the inside passage? If all goes well then we will be heading up next summer and we are beginning to put the materials together?

Get all the books you can, they all have different info. in them. Waggoner, Dream Speaker (I think that's the name), Canadian current tables (remember that they are in STANDARD time), Coast Pilot, etc.

Otherwise, any thoughts on the trip from those that have made it? So far, talking to those I know that have done it, the common theme seems to be light wind and strong currents.

Except when there are strong winds and strong currents :-)) (Johnstone St) Just pick your weather when making the open water crossings (Pt. Caution, Dixon) and you should have a great trip.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any admins wanna move this to General? I would have sworn that's where I put this. Hey, where are my keys...
I haven't done it (yet) in the sailboat, just a fishing boat, and we didn't stop to anchor so I can't make any recommendations north of the Broughtons. Not sure where you anchor in Granville Ch. and you can't make it in one day so you should check into that.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-24-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I haven't done it (yet) in the sailboat, just a fishing boat, and we didn't stop to anchor so I can't make any recommendations north of the Broughtons. Not sure where you anchor in Granville Ch. and you can't make it in one day so you should check into that.
I will check into it. Thanks. I have been up and down the Alaska portion in ferries, jets, small boats and super cubs and everything in between. I can't wait to get to spend some time for a change and not just speed by.
Old 07-25-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Only a couple of wide open spots. .like Milbank. and Dixon Haven't been up since '81 but it's just a lot of channel after channel. I only traveled in daylight and anchored every night. The tides can be contrary and strong so tide book is important. Now with AIS it takes a lot of the nervous out of it. Got up to Skagway a couple of times and wouldn't bother doing it again Better cruising in BC. where the winds come up by noon or so ,,,early starts. edit Iv'e still got paper charts of route ,,,Offers?
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 07-25-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Sailing Directions from the Canadian Hydrographic Service is a good guide for Canadian waters.

Canadian Hydrographic Service
AlaskaMC likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-27-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I like the dream speaker cruising guides that go from the San Juan's to the Broughton's. I also have Charlie's charts to Alaska but the dream speaker are better.
AlaskaMC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2014

warren5421 is on a distinguished road

I don't sail yet working on doc and wife. Just came off of my third time to Alaska on a cruise ship. Most seem to run hard at night when most passengers are asleep so sailing at night if you are not on your toes can be bad. Only seen one sail boat in a total of a week. 7 nights and 2 days of cruising, port during the day. Don’t think much of the towns, cruise ships visit, but Alaska is beautiful. Did the Alaskan Train and my grandson thought that was the best part of the 2 weeks in Alaska.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by warren5421; 07-27-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

The outer islands and villages like Sitka are worth while. Now with GPS and plotter much easier to do.Back in the '80's I had a sounder.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 07-28-2014
Frozen Member

Thanks everyone for the help. The chart link is great Jackdale! Is there a NOAA equivalent for free digital downloads of raster files? Looks like you pay a dealer for the files?

Thanks for the cruising guide recommendations. I will definitely pick them up. Ours for PWS is indispensable. It found me an anchorage this weekend when everywhere else was crowded because the charts show it as almost inaccessible. Cruising guide shows how to get in. Dang handy and had it all to myself. I would see folks come in, look and turn around.

The cruises do run mostly at night. Gotta watch out coming into Whittier in the evening here as they are on the way out. Good point. I lived on the train route for many years. Quite pretty.
Old 07-28-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Made the trip via solo motorcycle to Alaska several years back. Saw more wild life up and personal then most don't see in a lifetime ,including an incounter with a wolf (story in its self)..So took the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry system on the return to Port Rupert,BC picked up the BC Ferry to Vancouver Island and then the Black Ball Ferry to Port Angeles,Washington.

Alaska Ferry, Alaska Inside Passage Ferries, Ferries Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska Tours, Alaska Ferry Cruises & Alaska Vacations, Viking Travel

..definitely a trip of a lifetime
AlaskaMC likes this.