Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014

ChuckBuck is on a distinguished road
smelly sink

Hey everyone,

I have an odd problem that I hope you can help me with.

My sink in the galley has acquired an odd / bad smell.

I've cleaned the sink bowl and run boiling hot soapy water down but it won't go away .

I worry about putting bleach down there as I don't want to damage the pipes.

The boat was built in 2008, so I doubt the pipes need replacing. There is no smell below he sink area or in he heads sink or head Itself.

Many thx in advance

Chuck buck

Maple leaf
Ben 31

Hi everyone

Any suggestions on how to remove Oder from the sink in the galley?

Much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: smelly sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBuck View Post
Hey everyone,

I have an odd problem that I hope you can help me with.

My sink in the galley has acquired an odd / bad smell.

I've cleaned the sink bowl and run boiling hot soapy water down but it won't go away .

I worry about putting bleach down there as I don't want to damage the pipes.

The boat was built in 2008, so I doubt the pipes need replacing. There is no smell below he sink area or in he heads sink or head Itself.

Many thx in advance

Chuck buck

Maple leaf
Ben 31

Hi everyone

Any suggestions on how to remove Oder from the sink in the galley?

Much appreciated!!
Floating debris rotting on the water surface within the drain, including, perhaps dead sealife. One solution is to "blow" the standing water and its contents out. For that you can use one of the pressurized signaling horns sold at marine stores. You can make a temporary gasket around the drain with a couple of wet paper towels cut away over the drain opening itself. Press the bell of the signal horn down, over the drain, firmly and give the drain a 2-3 second blast. The pressure will blow the standing water out through the through-hull. If the drain serves two sinks, insert a plug in one and hold it firmly in place while blasting out through the second/adjoining drain. We've used the foregoing to good advantage in past...
KBuckley and MarkofSeaLife like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-25-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Pour a cup of bleach down the drain, let it sit five minutes, and then pour a bucket of freshwater down the drain (or stop up the sink and fill it with the house water, then pull the plug) to flush out the bleach. Five minutes of bleach isn't going to do anything appreciable to the pipes. And a cup of bleach isn't going to do anything appreciable to the environment. Also, try to "flush" the sink (either with a bucket of water, or by stopping and filling the sink) every once in a while to prevent a reoccurrence.
christian.hess likes this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 07-25-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Occasional use of bleach is not doing to harm anything.

Something that is often misunderstood about bleach is that more is not much better, but it can be more destructive. The more that is used, the higher the pH, and the less the germicidal effectiveness (broad statement with many limitations). Time is much more important. This holds true for many cleaning applications; less bleach and more time.

Mix ~ 1 tsp/gallon and let it sit in each of the drains for at least an hour.

But you might try this first, to remove the junk: baking soda followed by bleach. At first I thought this was silly; just a bunch of CO2 from the reaction. But it is the bubbles getting UNDER the dirt that does the work in inaccessible places, combined with the initial alkalinity and surfactant nature of the bicarb.
Clean Your Drains With Baking Soda and Vinegar - Surprise! | Crunchy Betty

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

bleach

I like the fog horn or pressure blow idea too...saves you from going over and manual degunking the thruhull

I do the bleach thing here at the house every week or so since we use cisterns for half the day when the water is cutoff for the city we live in

guess what? same funky smell you get on boats. you let bleach sit for 5-10 minutes then flush and rinse and you can see it get completely gunk and smell free...

simple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2014

ultraclyde is on a distinguished road

They are right about the bleach, and about using it sparingly.

If you are concerned about the bleach you can also use hydrogen peroxide to kill smells and it is harmless to most pipes and such, as well as wildlife, etc. You want to use the standard drugstore 30% active type, use generously, and let it sit for a little while. It's not quite as aggressive as bleach, so you may have to repeat.

Trust me, I'm an R&D chemist for a company that makes cleaning supplies and deodorizers...
Old 07-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraclyde View Post
They are right about the bleach, and about using it sparingly.

If you are concerned about the bleach you can also use hydrogen peroxide to kill smells and it is harmless to most pipes and such, as well as wildlife, etc. You want to use the standard drugstore 30% active type, use generously, and let it sit for a little while. It's not quite as aggressive as bleach, so you may have to repeat.

Trust me, I'm an R&D chemist for a company that makes cleaning supplies and deodorizers...
The "standard drugstore" hydrogen peroxide is 3%, not 30% H2O2 in an aqueous solution. However, you can get ~30% hydrogen peroxide that is marketed as a "cleaning solution" (rather than as a topical antiseptic) at some hardware stores, hydroponics supply outlets, aquarium shops, etc. Strong solutions will burn the skin, and are probably about as dangerous as household bleach. Industrial grade peroxides (including >30% hydrogen peroxide) can be downright nasty to use, and should be avoided unless you have some experience with such chemicals.

I would just used regular bleach; it's quick, easy to get, and cheap. But the ultimate source of the problem is organics floating inside of the sink drain plumbing. A little bit of cooking oil, some food scraps, and whatever else doesn't get flushed out will turn into a stinky brew. Many (most?) boat freshwater systems don't deliver water at a high enough rate to effectively flush that gunk down the hose and out the thru-hull. That's why I suggested pouring a bucket of water down the drain once in a while. You might also try scrubbing the inside of the hose with a long-handled bottlebrush to remove any mold/mildew growing in there.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 07-25-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

If it's just "A little bit of cooking oil, some food scraps, and whatever else" what's wrong with using a plunger? It's an awfully good test of your hose connections and clamps, but other than that, it should blow anything in the drain, out.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by capta; 07-25-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2014

ChuckBuck is on a distinguished road

great suggestions everyone - will give them a go tomorrow!

Cheers,

CB
Old 07-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If it's just "A little bit of cooking oil, some food scraps, and whatever else" what's wrong with using a plunger? It's an awfully good test of your hose connections and clamps, but other than that, it should blow anything in the drain, out.
If the plunger will force enough air through the plumbing to displace all the liquid, then it would probably work just fine. The trick is to get everything past the thru-hull. If there isn't an actual clog then the plunger shouldn't really be "pressure-testing" anything (as long as the seacock is open).

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 07-26-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.