Headset Communicators? - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-27-2014 Thread Starter

Headset Communicators?

Hi All,

After our first "real" cruise last week (8 nights on the boat), involving 7 different docking scenarios... I watched as some of the power boats came into port with mom on the bow and dad driving (typical arrangement) but they had small (sometimes large) headsets on. WOW! There's something that might be really usefull. I'm behind the dodger, she's on the bow 27' forward of me, she turns around and I see her lips moving... No clue what she's trying to tell me. We've had the "hand signal talk", the "don't try and idle chat" talk, but something always seems to come up.

Do any of you use handless headset communicators on board?

Dave

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-27-2014

Re: Headset Communicators?

yes, we do use headset to communicate. They sure do come handy when wind is blowing and noises, great for docking.I have a 34 ft boat that make it easy for us commincate when she is that far ahead of me.
I have to admit it was money well spend and no mistake taken of hand signal changes. Just make sure you have lots of battery for the device.
I think to me it was more of learning device at first to commincate and wouldn't do without them.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-27-2014

My wife and I utilized the "marriage savers" for the first time this season. In the past, we got along fine without them, but this year we moved to a slip which was challenging, especially when there was a good blow, because the slip is much larger than needed for our boat. After the first couple of times docking, we tried the "marriage savers". They've made things much easier. I recommend them.

Bob
Morning Dew, PSC Crealock 37, #360
post #4 of 30 Old 07-27-2014

They were one of the best Christmas presents my husband gave me and consequently gave himself. Before we had them communication between the bow and stern during docking, anchoring, etc was difficult at best, and often created, shall I say, attitude issues. You guys know what they say about when momma's happy...well these made momma happy.

"Realization" 1983 Hunter 34
post #5 of 30 Old 07-27-2014

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Do any of you use handless headset communicators on board?

Dave

Nah. I just shout at the bitch. I am single now and don't need them.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-27-2014

Beats the matching T shirts 'Stop Yelling at Me' and 'I'm Not Yelling'
post #7 of 30 Old 07-27-2014
Mermaid Hunter

In my opinion the biggest communication issue is that people are at opposite ends of the boat WAY too early. Stay together in the cockpit discussing things calmly during the approach. On most boats a leisurely stroll forward takes well under 10 seconds.

If you back in you want your extra hand aft anyway ESPECIALLY for bow lines.

Headset communicators are one more thing to drop over the side. *sigh*
jerryrlitton likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

post #8 of 30 Old 07-28-2014
Master Mariner

We could fill our boats with useful gadgets, but shortly you and your sailing partner shouldn't need all that much communication when docking.
For us it's a quick pass by an unfamiliar dock, then back out to decide how to set up the lines and fenders for docking. Most often it's going to be back spring, bow and then stern, anyway. After the discussion, there's little to say, really. You put the boat where your partner needs it to be to get the lines on in the order discussed. Perhaps a few fingers raised to indicate the distance of the bow from the dock, if you have an aft cockpit boat, but really there just isn't that much to talk about, once you are committed.
We will rarely give a line to someone ashore, as that is a recipe for disaster. For some strange reason, they will never follow directions and place the line where you wanted.
So, if past experience holds, you'll use the head sets and then they'll sit in a drawer unused and unnecessary, after a bit more experience as a team.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 07-28-2014 at 12:36 AM.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-28-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We will rarely give a line to someone ashore, as that is a recipe for disaster. For some strange reason, they will never follow directions and place the line where you wanted.
You forgot the part where they stand there holding the line, thinking--apparently--they can stop a 25,000 or 40,000 lb boat without taking a couple of turns around a piling or cleat. *sigh*

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

post #10 of 30 Old 07-28-2014
Old as Dirt!

We have been using Cruising Solutions' Marriage Savers for the last 10 years and have found them a great addition.

As in the above, on our boat my (much) better half does the "driving" while we're anchoring or mooring up the yacht as it makes no sense to me to have a 105# person attempting to manage lines on a 23,000# boat. The only shortcoming is a spouse that feels compelled to loudly yell "hello's" to friends and acquaintances upon arrivals/departures. If so, one soon learns to keep one's own earphone volume low!

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 07-28-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Amendment

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.