Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2006

john wilson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to john wilson
head odors

I have just purchased my first sailboat, a dream to sail, everything I could want except for the smell coming from the head. I have tried both deoderizers and tablets but still the odor. What can I do to reduce the smell? It is not overwelming, just enough to notice. Is it the tanks? Maybe the hosing? My boat is a Georgian 23, which is similliar to a Grampian. Thanks in advance for any help that you may offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Uric acid, mixed with sea water, produces a sulphuric gas - offensive to most people. In time most boaters become accustomed to it.

However, we had a particularly strong odor with our last boat. After replacing the hose from toilet to holding tank, the problem was significantly improved. I had learned that the hose material's ability to shield odors diminishes with age and should be replaced after a certain length of time.
Old 04-21-2006

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Head Odors

John: Do yourself a favor and read any articles you can get a hold of by Peggy Hall of Peal Products (now Raritan Engineering, I think). One of said articles can be found at: www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/holding_tank/L165htw.pdf

Basically there is alot of misinformation out there and while replacing hose and using certain chemicals can help it may not eliminate your problem. You can also google Peggy Hall and Head Odors and find stuff she has written.

Good Luck.

Regards

HAMBO
Old 04-21-2006

TalbotUK is on a distinguished road
Advice to talk to the Headmistress (peggy Hall) is spot on - she is the expert.

If your heads empties directly through a sea **** the problem is relatively easy to cure. The smell is coming from the pipework so you need to renew the hose between head and seacock. There is no requirement that this hose should smell, the problem is caused because the head is not being pumped out sufficiently to clear all the urine/other matter out of the hose section.

if you have a holding tank it is a bit more involved, and will really depend on where the smell is coming from. If it is the hose, then the cure is the same as above! If the smell is coming from the holding tank itself, the problem is due to lack of sufficient ventilation to the holding tank. It is possible that the vent hose is either blocked or not large enough. In either case, insufficient oxygen is getting to the decomposing matter in the tank, and the wrong sort of bacteria are being encouraged. Given enough oxygen, these bacteria go away and are replaced by more pleasantly smelling variant. (I kid you not).
Old 04-22-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
And it's always helpful to have a bottle of Toilet Duck (or equivalent) to give it a squirt each time. Helps to kill the offensive bacteria. A bit related is the buildup of lime deposits in the hoses and either a squirt of Lime-Away or vinegar helps reduce the accumulation.

Terry
Old 04-22-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Also, make sure that all the hoses are sanitation hoses (smooth interior wall) so nothing accumulates in them. I've also seen opaque hoses recommended as well.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A couple of things... first wrap a towel wet in HOT water tightly around each hose. When it is cool to the touch, take it off and smell it. If it smells like waste, then the odor is permeating the hose, and the hose needs to be replaced. Practical Sailor and several other sources recommend SeaLand OdorSafe sanitation hose as being one of the best to use, and I'd agree.

If the towels don't smell, then the problem isn't the hoses. The other really common source of odor in a head is dead and decaying sealife, like plankton, in the seawater used to flush it. The easiest way to prevent this is to do a freshwater flush of the system before you leave the boat for any extended period of time.

Not all boats are designed to be able to do a freshwater flush easily. On my boat, you can fill the head sink with water and have it drain to the ocean or to the head as a freshwater flush. I will generally put a bit of bleach or vinegar in the water and then flush the toilet if I am leaving the boat for any long duration. Vinegar is relatively inexpensive, mild and helps prevent mineral deposits from forming in the head system.
Old 04-22-2006

garyp is on a distinguished road
Get Rid of Boat Odors

Peggy Hall's book, "Get Rid of Boat Odors" is published by Seaworthy Publications: www.seaworthy.com. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-23-2006

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
Double check the holding tank vent. On my Irwin 38 the vent hose took a dip after passing through a bulkhead on it's way outside, that dip would fill with liquid untill the preasure built and blew it out, and the preasure buildup in the tank would force gasses past the head pump and stink the place up pretty bad. Rerouted the vent hose and no more nasty head odors. Art.
Old 04-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also check to make sure the vent opening itself is not clogged.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.