Winch Handle - Lock-in - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-28-2006 Thread Starter
Winch Handle - Lock-in

Our boat came with Lewmar Lock-in PowerGrip winch handles. Within a few months of light use the Lock-In has become almost a real hassle to "Un-Lock." I'm planning on removing the Lock-In mechanism. However, I'm wondering if there are other brand, locking winch handles that are more usable.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 04-28-2006
Personally, I've never liked locking winch handles for the very reason you indicate. The locking mechanism often hangs up and is difficult to get off the winch, and, when you have to make a quick tack while racing, you can't afford to have anything get fouled. In almost 30 years of racing and cruising, I've never lost a winch handle over the side, even though I often leave the winch handle in the winch while I'm on a tack, and have occasionally had water pour over the coaming and winch. Even without locks, they don't accidentally come out very readily. I liked to use the non-locking, "floating winch handles" on my previous 25' boat, because they were light weight, inexpensive, and even if I lost one, it was no big deal.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-28-2006
Seņor Member
We use both Lewmar locking & non-locking winch handles, but have never had one seize up when I didn't want it to. The locking handle is used on our mast-mounted, Andersen winches, where gravity creates a higher probability of handle loss.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #4 of 4 Old 04-29-2006
Telstar 28
I use locking handles on the mast-located winches as well, but do not use them for the cockpit/coachroof mounted winches. Very little will shake a fully-inserted winch handle from a winch with a vertically oriented drum. The horizontal orientation of the mast-mounted winches, makes them much more likely to drop a handle.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.