Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2006
MZDANOW

MZDANOW is on a distinguished road
Question Buying an outboard (22 seafarer)

I do not know anything about engines... I intend to buy a new engine with a nice warranty, but I have no idea where to start. 1) what brand? 2) what size motor?

BOAT- 22 Seafarer, LOA 21'8", LWL 18'4", BEAM 7'5", DISPLACEMENT 2400 lbs

UPDATE!!!!

THANK YOU!!! Everyone who posted their thoughts, I really appreciate your help. It turns out I went with a SUZUKI 4-stroke, DF9.9. Its got an electric start (and pull start), its got a battery charging coil as well as the proper shaft length of 20". I'll update with my results after launch - thanks again!!!

LAUNCH!!! 6/17/2006 WOW!!! This engine has changed my life.. I cannot believe what a piece of garbage my old motor was! Docking is an absolute DREAM, and its light --- not to mention that the electric start is AWESOME!!!

Last edited by MZDANOW; 06-19-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
any of the small four-stroke outboards would do pretty nicely for a boat that size and mass. Honda makes a nice 9.9 HP as well as a nice 20 HP. The 20 is power tilt... the 9.9 is manual.
Old 04-30-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Outboard for 22 Footer

I had a two-stroke Johnson 9.9 long shaft motor on a Catalina 22 about the same size as the boat you mention that worked well, but an acquaintance had a 5 HP four-stroke on a Catalina 22 that also worked very well. A 20 HP is probably way more than you need (and much more expensive).
Old 04-30-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Be careful about buying too big an engine.

Tendency is always to buy a very large engine for the 'get home against all odds no matter what current/ wind/ or storm'. Try to avoid that. 22' is a tiny boat (in that is very senstive to changes in trim ballast) and a big engine will change trim a lot and dramaticly affect sailing ability. If you do get a huge tugboat sized outboard then at least be sure to have some shifting ballast (maybe 150lb lead shot in bags) so that in spite of your weight and engine's weight you can get the boat back on her proper water line. That makes a HUGE difference when trying to REALLY sail. IF conditions are so bad that you cannot make progress than be prepared to anchor and wait. That's asking too much for most folks I realize!

If you want a power boat that sails then get a motor sailer. They are a great choice and some very nice small ones are made, but try not to hang about 75lbs on the extreame end of a tiny 22' vessel.

Ideal would be a 2-4 hp light weight with a VERY long shaft (25" to 30"). Unfortunatly, 25" seems to be the longest standard shaft and they are rare. 20" is usually sold as LONG shaft. Years ago I had a Tohatsu 8hp w/ 25" shaft and alternator and it was a good engine but heavy (64lbs) and that was on a 26 foot pearson (old full keel - Carl Alberg type). It was a bear to get on and off even for a 40+ year old in good shape.

These days my favorite engine is 2hp honda 4stoke air cooled that I can lift with one hand and is very easy to mount most anywhere. The shaft is only 20" but as there is no water pump in the lower unit it is theoretically easy to make an extension to lengthen the shaft/lower unit, so that is a fantasy project for me. When sailiing, (20' marshall cat boat)I have a good anchor and line/chain and take water, a sandwich and good jacket so as to be prepared to be stuck for a bit sometimes, SELDOM EVER HAPPENS, and we have some 3 to 4 knot currents in the Cape Fear River.

See Also:
http://www.oarclub.org/

Check Out this book ( 10 STARS !!!)
Wind and Tide: An Introduction to Cruising in Pure Sailing Craft
By Jerome W FitzGerald

Last edited by sailandoar; 04-30-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
9.9 hp drives my 26' boat just fine

I have a 26' macgregor that displaces about 4000lbs when ballased and provisioned. At full throttle, I lose control of the boat. It wants to climb above the bow wave and go on plane. Of, course, its hourglass hull-shape won't allow that so it careens out of control.

I use to have a 21' Macgregor with a 4hp engine which powered it just fine.

Max
Old 04-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree, that the 20 HP is probably overkill... The 5 HP Honda is only 62 lbs., but only has a 20" shaft, the 9.9 HP is 107 lbs., and has a 25" shaft. However, the 20 HP is only 1 pound heavier than the 9.9 HP outboard. So there really isn't much of a weight penalty if you want to go for the more powerful engine.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-30-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
The last thing you want to do is hang 100 lbs on the transom of any 22 ft. boat. The new 2-stroke outboards are much cleaner burning these days and significantly less weight than a 4-stroke. As far as a recommendation...I'm using an 8 hp Nissan that runs well on a 24 ft Beneteau. The only thing I can say about it is that no one except a Nissan dealer caries parts for it. That's a pain.

I used a little 4 hp Johnson along time ago on a J24 that did an adequate job. I don't have a definitive choice as to brands, other than stay light-weight.
Old 05-04-2006

devildad is on a distinguished road
where are you going

I used a 4hp suzuki on the back of a j22 for six years, taking the boat down the Jersey Coast, Deleware Bay, and alll over the Chesepeake at hull speed. It was small enough to remove easily and never needed anything but plugs and washing. I mounted it on an adjustable bracket and it was a dream. 20hp would be silly. As with any sailboat, using tides and the sails is the fun part.
Michael B
Old 05-05-2006

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
What brand and type 2/4 stroke is less important. Choose one that has a good low pitch/high trust propeller and a system that does not suck the exhaust into the propeller when reversing! The best propeller so far I have found is the one for the Johnson 9,9/15 that even fits the 4-strokes!
Old 05-05-2006

onojmai is on a distinguished road
i know a fella who had a old pontoon boat around 20ft with a 9.9 on the back- believe it or not- he said it barely moved with a couple guys on it- but they used the 9.9 because it kept it in a different insurance class (or something to that extent) there is good reason they make a 9.9 hp engine, and not a ten- insurance or legal cutoffs. just a thought... i would check out the difference- if there is any.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.