Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Winch servicing lubricants

One of the better diesel oils for boats is delo 100 its formulated for constant rpm use diesels Delo 100 Motor Oil
High-performance crankcase oils recommended for use in farm machinery, construction equipment, marine, older two- and four-stroke diesel engines, and other off-highway applications where the SAE 30 or 40 grades are specified by the OEM. Diesel Engine Oils, Delo Heavy Duty Motor Oils - Chevron Lubricants

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I have read elsewhere that Lewmar Winch Grease (100 grams $16.99 at WM or $14.99 at Defender) = Super Lube Synthetic Grease with PFTE (3 oz 85 gram tube $7.11 at Home Depot), and I believe is in fact the same tube.
Right - but if you hang out in the right places they give the Lewmar grease away like candy. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Right - but if you hang out in the right places they give the Lewmar grease away like candy. *grin*
Where are your hangouts?
Here in So Cal nothing is free and if it is there's always a hook.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Old 08-06-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

I repack LOT of winches. A tube of Lewmar grease & the pawl oil lasts me YEARS. Most folks OVER GREASE.....

I do find the Lewmar grease gums less and lasts a long time. I have not bothered to try anything different because when the pawl sockets distorted out, on a customers boat, (apparently a defective casting) Lewmar asked what I had been using for grease and pawl oil and I sent them a photo of my Lewmar grease and pawl oil. A week later my customer had new pawls and gears at no charge... Yep I will stick with the Lewmar product and yes I have been handed free tubes of it a few times....

I also like Lewmar's grease tube and find the plastic thick enough to stand up in a tool bag without puncturing. This is something I can't say for the Superlube products. Ask me how I know......... MESS!!!!!
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
Where are your hangouts?
I've gotten tubes of Lewmar grease free at boat shows after chatting up the folks in the Lewmar booth, at SSCA Gams, at an HR Rendezvous, and at a reception offered by a boat broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I repack LOT of winches. A tube of Lewmar grease & the pawl oil lasts me YEARS. Most folks OVER GREASE.....
I definitely agree. Too much grease just gums up and collects dirt. As the old Brylcream commercial said, "a little dab will do ya." *grin* The bearings and gears should glisten but you should not see any globs of grease. Pawls should shine but there should be no drips.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 08-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2014

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road

Winch servicing lubricants?. i'm surprised no one got any dirty thoughts about the topic as yet.
Old 08-06-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I found the reference, and edited my above post.

For clarity, here is the original post from Cruiser's Forum;
Quote:
I use SuperLube. I talked to the tech guy at Andersen winches and he confessed that it was the same thing they sell as their grease. I suspected as much as it looked the same. It is clear and doesn't get your hands all dirty which is an advantage. They say it doesn't absorb water but I am not convinced as I am getting some milky appearance when I service them. You can also buy it in those grease gun canisters and it is very cheap that way, just over $9 for 14 ounces. I posted the specs on my web site or you can google for them. Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE Teflon 21030

Allen
Link Best Winch Grease ? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

... and from a few posts later in the same thread;
Quote:
Also, the Andersen tech support guy said to go ahead and use the Super Lube on the pawls that it doesn't harden up over time like regular winch grease and lasts longer than oil. I do that and have not had any problem but then again I didn't have any problem when I used oil, except spilling the oil all over the place.
... and finally from Allen's website (here);
Quote:
I started using Super Lube at the recommendation of the local boat yard to lube my masthead sheave. When I got my Andersen Winches, the grease in the winch looked the same. In talking to Andersen, I find it is the same. Comparing the properties of the grease with other greases, I find it is a truly high quality grease with little aversion to salt water. It also doesn't get your hands dirty :-)

Super Lube can be ordered at your local ACE hardware store for about $5.00 using ACE #08235310305

Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE Teflon 21030 Is A Non-Toxic Dielectric Grease, A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant, And A Patented Synthetic NLGI Grade 2 Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Lubricant. Outlasts Conventional Greases 50-100% And Has Excellent Adhesion. 3 oz tube. NSF® Registered.

Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE Teflon 21030

Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE Teflon 21030, a Dielectric Grease, is a patented NLGI grade 2 heavy duty, multi-purpose lubricant in a 3 oz tube. Synthetic base fluids and the addition of PTFE micro powders combine to form a premium lubricant that provides long life protection against friction, wear, rust and corrosion. Machinery lasts longer, downtime is reduced, and productivity is increased. USDA listed food Grade Lubricant, rated H1 for incidental food contact. Will not run or drip, does not evaporate or form gummy deposits and will not dry out, melt or separate. Compatible with most other lubricants and outlasts conventional greases 50-100%.

Capacity Wt. 3 oz
Packing Type Tube
NLGI Grade 2
Color Translucent White
Temp. Range -45.0 deg.F [Min], 450.0 deg.F [Max]
Flash Point 428.00 deg.F
Specific Gravity 0.8500 [Min], 0.8900 [Max]
Chemical Compound Synthetic
Odor Mild
Physical Form Paste or Gel
Applicable Materials Wood, Rubber, Leather, Plastic, Fabric
Applications Multi-Purpose
Resistance Wear, Corrosive Process, Dirt, Dust, Saltwater, Water
Type Multi-Purpose Grease
Applications:

Automotive-

Disk Brake Quiet, Caliper Grease, Bearing Grease, Battery Protector, Linkages, Hinges & Locks, Dielectric Grease , Hubs, Axles, Chassis, Shocks,
Springs, Seat Regulators &Tracks, Fifth Wheels, Parts Lubricant, Assembly Grease

Marine-

Winches, Pulleys, Trailer & Buddy Bearings, Inboard/Outboard Drives, Winterizing, Snaps, Trailer Rollers & Casters, Dielectric Grease, Prop Shafts/Trim Tabs, Battery Protector, Corrosion Blocking, Electrical Equipment

Household-

Windows, Hinges, Garage Doors, Appliances, Locks, Shop Tools, Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Garden & Farm Equipment, Sewing Machines, Faucets, Pool Pumps

Recreational & Sporting-

Campers, Trailers, Mopeds, Bicycles, ATV's, Motorcycles, Snow Mobiles (prevents ice buildup), Go-Carts, RV's, Hunting Gear, Guns, Ski Bindings, Running Machines, Weight & Fitness Equipment, In-Line Skates, Skateboards

Industrial-

Plain & Anti-Friction Bearings, Ball & Roller Bearings, Wheel Bearings, Chassis Points, Fifth Wheels, Electric Motor Bearings, Disc Brake Assemblies, Freezers, Pumps, Blowers, Cams, Slides, Conveyors, Chains, Snow Removal Equipment, Paving Equipment, Water Pumps, Valves, Open Gears, Switch Assemblies, Radio Antenna Assemblies, Parking Meters, Gaming Machines, Cables, Ovens, Food Processing Equipment, Fans, Electronic Equipment, Deep Drawing Application
Benefits-

Clean, Non-toxic, Non-staining, Dielectric, USDA Rating H1, Will Not Drip, Run Or Evaporate, Impervious To Salt Water, Safe In Potable Water, Long Lasting, Prevents Rust & Corrosion While Reducing Friction, Compatible With Conventional Lubricants, Repels Dirt, Dust, Grit & Grime, Extends Machinery And Equipment Life, Reduces Maintenance While Saving Time & Money, Operating Temperature Range -45F to +450F, Reduces Friction & Wear, Will Not Stain Or Harm Wood, Rubber, Leather, Plastic, Fabrics & Paint.
I have Andersen winches on my boat (upgraded from 26 year old Barlows). I like that the Andersens are ALL Stainless Steel (no plastic, no plated bronze), and believe that the "Power Rib" is more than just marketing BS.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 08-06-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I participate on several ASTM committees (engine coolants, lubes, fuels) and there is one thing I have learned for absolute certain; no 2 manufacturers will ever agree on what is needed, let alone what is best. It isn't as simple as one or 2 lab tests, or even dynamometer testing. What are the failures? what is causing them? What would solve that? Is the dynamometer test correct? Is a fleet test better? which machine/engine should be used? What conditions? What is best depends on the machine, the specific use experience, local conditions, and what are the greatest concerns. I doubt all of the engineers at any one manufacturer agree. So loosen up.

And the only way you will actually know what is better, even on a specific winch, is to lube port and starboard differently... and then hope the difference in weather exposure don't foul it. So last time I was lubing winches I did port with Lewmar and port with a common waterproof bearing grease. Two years later they seemed the same to me. I was just curious (both products were free--it wasn't a money thing).

As for few good motor oils... .

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber