Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-07-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hot water stink

Where I live, the water has a high sulfur content apparently. My newish water heater has an aluminum tank. but the old glass lined Raritan HWH also had the "stink"

Other then bypassing the HWH for anything other then actual trips with the boat, what can kill the stink? I've used bleach, it helps a little but the stink soon comes back.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Hot water stink

You'll have to pre filter the water going into your tank. Culligan etc make a whole-house filtration system for sulfur, there may be others, I'd Google and see what's out there
Old 08-07-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Bleach corrodes aluminum
Old 08-07-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Thanks MHG! I even the the "smell" occasionally at the home faucets too. but that water isn't being heated and reheated and stored for gawd knows how long til the next time I use it on the boat LOL

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2014

capt jgwinks is on a distinguished road

You can get sulfur odor in your lines whether theres sulfur in your water or not. When closed up without contact with free oxygen, anaerobic bacteria will multiply and they exhale sulfur dioxide. The same thing happens in waste tanks without adequate vents. The only prevention ifs to use chlorine or biocide or keep water flowing periodically.
Old 08-07-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Removing said bacteria before it gets into your boat's system is your best bet. The better water machines use both UV light and a reverse osmosis filtration systems, and the water from them is about as pure as you can get, typically for 25 cents a gallon. My marina has one, typical big blue box machine like you see at the supermarket, and I see a lot of folks wheeeling 5 gallon carboys down to their boats. Of course, a simple 10" filter housing with a good carbon block filter will do fine with most water sources.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 08-07-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-07-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road

We've occasionally had to deal w/ sulphur-smelling water, too, but I don't think it's related to bacteria. A cheap whole-house water filter w/ charcoal cartridges works fine for us. Another source of that smell, especially in hot water lines, is a corroded or used-up sacrificial anode rod in your hot water tank. If you're in an area with hard water, change your rod every year or so.

Denise, you mentioned you have a new HWH, so that anode rod may not be your problem... unless by "new" you mean "in the past few years." If that's the case, you could try changing the rod.

Good luck!

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-07-2014
1934 Chickering

It's really from not using the boat much. I need to take the WH out of the circuit to really solve the problem. The smell was there even with the old WH that was glass lined.

Thanks all!

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-07-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Welcome to New Orleans. Sounds like it, from the descrip of the water.

Just thought about it, wonder if this would work? I got one, not for water smell, but just for general filtration into the tank:
WEST MARINE In-Line KDF Water Filter | West Marine
Old 08-07-2014

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Denise, try this, especially reply #4, John's a good friend and our C34 Tech Editor, he knows his stuff.

hot water "rotten egg" odor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.