SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bottom paint (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/158353-bottom-paint.html)

ianjoub 08-07-2014 05:15 PM

Bottom paint

My new to me sailboat looks like this on the bottom.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6756d39.jpg

I have already started the sanding. I planned to repaint the barrier coat. Is there any reason to do the antifouling paint as well? I have no plans to leave it in the water. It will be put in for a day then trailered home with perhaps an occasional overnight camping trip to an island...

Also, am I just being anal thinking I should drop this swing keel and paint it too? If I do, what sort of paint should I use. It is an iron/steel keel.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps97c46b2a.jpg

capta 08-07-2014 06:08 PM

Re: Bottom paint

That keel looks to be in terrible shape. I'd suggest stripping it all the way back to shiny metal, priming and repainting. You may need to chip away the patches of scale and if you wanted a fair surface, you will have to fill and sand these areas. If the keel looks this bad, it might be prudent to check the cable or whatever system you have to bring it up and down, as it seems the PO wasn't too big on maintenance.
I can't tell on the hull, but it also looks to need some loving care. I'm not so sure a barrier coat without paint (not necessarily bottom paint) is the best way to go.

Puddin'_Tain 08-07-2014 06:36 PM

If you are going to dry sail the boat it won't need antifouling paint. I had a 21-foot boat for several years that I dry sailed in SF Bay and it had a run-of-the-mill topside paint on the bottom; no barrier coat, no anti-fouling. I never left it in the water for more than a day or two at a time, but the paint seemed to tolerate those short periods in the water just fine.

The swing keel in your pic looks like it needs a bit of attention, bit I've seen FAR worse. Sand and/or wire brush it, slap on some fairing compound, sand it some more, apply some primer, and some paint. In fact, just to be different, you could paint the bottom and the swing keel with contrasting colors (the more garish, the better ;)).

TQA 08-07-2014 10:23 PM

Rent a needle gun [ use eye protection. ] get rid of the rust. Paint with Ospho. Two coats of zinc rich epoxy primer. Fair then two more coats. Do it on a warm dry day and get the first coat of primer on ASAP.

But using a wire brush, Ospho followed by some Home Depot spray galvanizing fair then a coat of anything will do as well. Just keep the paint handy because you will need to keep touching it up.

Not sure what is best for the hull. Definitely rub it down smooth and definitely apply a coat of primer after that ? Not sure. When I had a trailer sailor I applyed VC 17m and it was still looking good when I sold it 2 1/2 years later. But it is not cheap.

christian.hess 08-07-2014 11:06 PM

galvanising spray works nice too to touch up...for the keel...I used the trailer stuff since we dont have fancy paints down here and we where working with the tides...

since you are a dry sailor your worries are minimized each haul out really...touch up and go really

ianjoub 08-08-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain (Post 2078305)
Sand and/or wire brush it, slap on some fairing compound, sand it some more, apply some primer, and some paint.

What is fairing compound? Are you referring to body filler?

Edit: I see there are marine specific ones...

ianjoub 08-08-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 2078993)
Rent a needle gun [ use eye protection. ] get rid of the rust. Paint with Ospho. Two coats of zinc rich epoxy primer. Fair then two more coats. Do it on a warm dry day and get the first coat of primer on ASAP.

But using a wire brush, Ospho followed by some Home Depot spray galvanizing fair then a coat of anything will do as well. Just keep the paint handy because you will need to keep touching it up.

Not sure what is best for the hull. Definitely rub it down smooth and definitely apply a coat of primer after that ? Not sure. When I had a trailer sailor I applyed VC 17m and it was still looking good when I sold it 2 1/2 years later. But it is not cheap.

I have a pressurized sandblast kettle. I think that may be easier...

I just researched Ospho, sounds like good advice!

ccriders 08-08-2014 11:10 AM

You need to check the UV sensitivity of barrier coatings before deciding not to paint. Epoxies normally have to be coated with a UV protecting layer or will deteriorate rather quickly.
John

TQA 08-08-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjoub (Post 2079937)
I have a pressurized sandblast kettle. I think that may be easier...

I just researched Ospho, sounds like good advice!

Sandblasting is better just much messier. Lots of yards won't let you do it but I guess you are home.

You can skip the Ospho if you do a good job sandblasting. Just get the paint on right away.

Re the epoxy comment on UV sensitivity it will chalk in direct sunlight. No probs on the keel but maybe on the hull below the waterline.

You probably don't want to spend big bucks so a household oil based outdoor primer and maybe top coat will do.

ianjoub 08-08-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 2080889)
Sandblasting is better just much messier. Lots of yards won't let you do it but I guess you are home.

You can skip the Ospho if you do a good job sandblasting. Just get the paint on right away.

Re the epoxy comment on UV sensitivity it will chalk in direct sunlight. No probs on the keel but maybe on the hull below the waterline.

You probably don't want to spend big bucks so a household oil based outdoor primer and maybe top coat will do.

Yes, I am not at a marina. I have the boat at my auto repair shop.

Should I put the outdoor oil based primer and top coat on top of the barrier coat, or instead of the barrier coat?