Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014
Land lubber

ianjoub is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint

My new to me sailboat looks like this on the bottom.

I have already started the sanding. I planned to repaint the barrier coat. Is there any reason to do the antifouling paint as well? I have no plans to leave it in the water. It will be put in for a day then trailered home with perhaps an occasional overnight camping trip to an island...

Also, am I just being anal thinking I should drop this swing keel and paint it too? If I do, what sort of paint should I use. It is an iron/steel keel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint

That keel looks to be in terrible shape. I'd suggest stripping it all the way back to shiny metal, priming and repainting. You may need to chip away the patches of scale and if you wanted a fair surface, you will have to fill and sand these areas. If the keel looks this bad, it might be prudent to check the cable or whatever system you have to bring it up and down, as it seems the PO wasn't too big on maintenance.
I can't tell on the hull, but it also looks to need some loving care. I'm not so sure a barrier coat without paint (not necessarily bottom paint) is the best way to go.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 08-07-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

If you are going to dry sail the boat it won't need antifouling paint. I had a 21-foot boat for several years that I dry sailed in SF Bay and it had a run-of-the-mill topside paint on the bottom; no barrier coat, no anti-fouling. I never left it in the water for more than a day or two at a time, but the paint seemed to tolerate those short periods in the water just fine.

The swing keel in your pic looks like it needs a bit of attention, bit I've seen FAR worse. Sand and/or wire brush it, slap on some fairing compound, sand it some more, apply some primer, and some paint. In fact, just to be different, you could paint the bottom and the swing keel with contrasting colors (the more garish, the better ).
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 08-07-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Rent a needle gun [ use eye protection. ] get rid of the rust. Paint with Ospho. Two coats of zinc rich epoxy primer. Fair then two more coats. Do it on a warm dry day and get the first coat of primer on ASAP.

But using a wire brush, Ospho followed by some Home Depot spray galvanizing fair then a coat of anything will do as well. Just keep the paint handy because you will need to keep touching it up.

Not sure what is best for the hull. Definitely rub it down smooth and definitely apply a coat of primer after that ? Not sure. When I had a trailer sailor I applyed VC 17m and it was still looking good when I sold it 2 1/2 years later. But it is not cheap.
RichH and christian.hess like this.
Old 08-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

galvanising spray works nice too to touch up...for the keel...I used the trailer stuff since we dont have fancy paints down here and we where working with the tides...

since you are a dry sailor your worries are minimized each haul out really...touch up and go really

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2014
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Sand and/or wire brush it, slap on some fairing compound, sand it some more, apply some primer, and some paint.
What is fairing compound? Are you referring to body filler?

Edit: I see there are marine specific ones...

Last edited by ianjoub; 08-08-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2014
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Rent a needle gun [ use eye protection. ] get rid of the rust. Paint with Ospho. Two coats of zinc rich epoxy primer. Fair then two more coats. Do it on a warm dry day and get the first coat of primer on ASAP.

But using a wire brush, Ospho followed by some Home Depot spray galvanizing fair then a coat of anything will do as well. Just keep the paint handy because you will need to keep touching it up.

Not sure what is best for the hull. Definitely rub it down smooth and definitely apply a coat of primer after that ? Not sure. When I had a trailer sailor I applyed VC 17m and it was still looking good when I sold it 2 1/2 years later. But it is not cheap.
I have a pressurized sandblast kettle. I think that may be easier...

I just researched Ospho, sounds like good advice!
Old 08-08-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

You need to check the UV sensitivity of barrier coatings before deciding not to paint. Epoxies normally have to be coated with a UV protecting layer or will deteriorate rather quickly.
John
The Following User Says Thank You to ccriders For This Useful Post:
ianjoub (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
I have a pressurized sandblast kettle. I think that may be easier...

I just researched Ospho, sounds like good advice!
Sandblasting is better just much messier. Lots of yards won't let you do it but I guess you are home.

You can skip the Ospho if you do a good job sandblasting. Just get the paint on right away.

Re the epoxy comment on UV sensitivity it will chalk in direct sunlight. No probs on the keel but maybe on the hull below the waterline.

You probably don't want to spend big bucks so a household oil based outdoor primer and maybe top coat will do.
Old 08-08-2014
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Sandblasting is better just much messier. Lots of yards won't let you do it but I guess you are home.

You can skip the Ospho if you do a good job sandblasting. Just get the paint on right away.

Re the epoxy comment on UV sensitivity it will chalk in direct sunlight. No probs on the keel but maybe on the hull below the waterline.

You probably don't want to spend big bucks so a household oil based outdoor primer and maybe top coat will do.
Yes, I am not at a marina. I have the boat at my auto repair shop.

Should I put the outdoor oil based primer and top coat on top of the barrier coat, or instead of the barrier coat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.