Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Prop and Shaft Barnacles

Due to several events we ended up not using the boat for 5 consecutive weeks. Highly unusual, maybe the longest period ever. We generally go sailing every weekend.

Noticed immediately that the boat was sluggish as we were pulling out of the slip and confirmed by only managing 2500 RPMs at WOT. Changed all fuel filters and still not getting to full RPM.

Decided to pull the boat and clean the bottom. The hull looked great given that the bottom paint (Petit Horizons) is on its second season. However we had tons of barnacles on the shaft and prop. I don't paint them. Removed them and all is back to normal.

I told my wife the only long term solution is to make sure we use the boat more...

In all seriousness, are there any good tips for keeping growth off the shaft and prop? We are in the upper Chesapeake.

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Prop and Shaft Barnacles

Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier 1792 - Spray Cans .... does wonders in keeping barnacles off the running gear
http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=262
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-07-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I know of nothing that will stay on for a year, assuming some regular motoring.

I have tried all sorts some so expensive I felt like I was applying liquid gold and nothing has lasted more than three months.

I am in a very high fouling area.

Last edited by TQA; 08-07-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2014

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

+1 for the Petit Barnacle Barrier. I also use Prop Glop (Moby-Cool.com,barnacle antifouling,paint,a/c hood/hatch). Works great in our harbor in Long Island Sound. It can also be re-applied in the water which is pretty unique. I re-apply several times each season. Any barnacles - which are very few - pop right off with thumb pressure (wear work gloves). I just re-applied today -- prop had very, very light soft growth and maybe two barnacles, but this is the time of year when the warm water accelerates growth.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 08-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

with all honesty the best method is useage...if that cant happen these other things will help at least prolong the heavy fouling

there was a thread a while ago offering numerous methods for props here

everything from beeswax, to grease to antifouling to pepper spray etc

nothing will beat useage...and thats a fact.

when cruising it just becomes a weekly or monthly maintenance things, basically anytime you have a swim take your gear down and do a little cleaning

having said that I would always mitigate the first growths anytime I hauled out by applying a small brush to the prop of antifouling

I like the idea of the petite spray...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier 1792 - Spray Cans .... does wonders in keeping barnacles off the running gear
Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier
I wonder(given the zinc content) wether cold galvaniszing spray in a can for trailers and stuff, would offer some of the same benefiits for those of us that dont have access to these kinds of products?

i used the galvanising paint for my iron keel as a primer to spot paint, and later primed and antifouled

which is better than simply painting over bare iron...however I didnt put anything on the prop this time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2014
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I wonder(given the zinc content) wether cold galvaniszing spray in a can for trailers and stuff, would offer some of the same benefiits for those of us that dont have access to these kinds of products?

i used the galvanising paint for my iron keel as a primer to spot paint, and later primed and antifouled

which is better than simply painting over bare iron...however I didnt put anything on the prop this time
I had a unique opportunity to test the zinc theory, in a way. My hot dip galvanised mooring chain was in the water for around 6 months whilst our boat was elsewhere. It had two nylon strops attached that were also submerged. When hauled out of the water, the only difference in growth between the chain and the strops was that the strops had a soft coral growing on them. The barnacle coverage was pretty much the same.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-08-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Usually I'm recommending prop speed here, but this year it's been less effective and I don't know why. I've been in the dive gear once already with a paint scraper. Not as bad as no prop-speed as there were only a few barnacles, but in the past it's been 100 percent effective against barnacles here.

This could have been application, change of formulation or changes in my bay, I don't really know.
Old 08-08-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Well, we have been here before.

Zinc doesn't repel barnacles, on the contrary one could say. The best metal for repelling is copper (Cu), which usually is found in marine propellors.

Propellors with Cu are made in either bronze or brass. It is often very difficult to distinguish bronze and brass by just looking at it, but they are quite different: Brass contain a considerable amount of zinc whereas bronze does not have any zinc (this about the definition of bronze).

In water, brass releases zinc ions, ie some of the metal disappears. This is a rather fast process, as Cu is higher up on the ladder (also compared to water). Consequently, brass metal in water needs an zinc anode.
- the zinc andode is usually consumed rather fast, which gives some indication of how much zinc may be released from the propellor.

Bronze however, is another matter, at least another alloy! Not at all the same process, there is no real need for a zinc anode. Without such, a small amount of Cu ions will be released and ... barnacles will not attach!

Thus, it is easy to get rid of barnacles if one has a propellor made of bronze.

Problem is, of course, to know that it actually is bronze. Very few, if any, propellor manufacturer state that they are using bronze - and some clearly use brass.

If one is using a zinc anode, the only way to prevent - to some extent- barnacles is to paint with some anti-fouling made especially for props. In that way one can enjoy a much higher price as well.

/J
Old 08-08-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Swim with brush and a greenie tied to your hands, sometimes a scrapper in your pocket, prop coatings last for a while but if you want multiseason and no haul outs you either get a diver to scrub you down or you do it yourself.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.