Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

alctel is on a distinguished road
Lets talk about dinghies y'all

So as part of the ever-lasting boat upgrades, I need to get a Dinghy.

The problem being, I'm not sure where to store it on a 36' sailboat. Putting it on the foredeck would get in the way, and using davits would be expensive and create a whole bunch of drag. Has anyone come up with a clever way of doing this?

My second question - what type of boat should I get? I am looking for as small as possible that can carry two people (I am 165lbs). Planing would be nice, but not 100% necessary, although next summer I am going to try to live on the hook for a couple of months, so maybe planing is more important than I thought?

Due to weight/space I am leaning more towards inflatable than hard. I would like to leave it permanently inflated, since I am way too lazy to blow the thing up every time I want to use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alctel; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets talk about dinghies y'all

Our solution is the TAKACAT Lite:

ROLL UPs - Takacat.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

You basically have three options. Foredeck, davits or tow it. I've done all three. I prefer my davits.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 3 Weeks Ago

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I have a 7'6'' Achilles inflatable which does meet your basic requirements. I have a 2hp 2-cycle Yamaha outboard which is nice and light (22 lbs) and easy to move back and forth between the storage mount the stern rail and the dinghy. Not enough power to plane, but plenty of power for most situations. I tow the dinghy (without the outboard) in all but storm conditions when cruising and deflate it and store below when not. Works for me.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I tried 5 diff types of dinghy for my not so roomy 28' S2 till I was happy. I finally bought a used 8' Porta-bote and find it is very easy to assemble on the foredeck, it is relatively lightweight. it rows well, it really does carry 3 grown men and I can carry it beside the cabin folded up. It also stows INSIDE the cabin when I am gone for long periods.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
You basically have three options. Foredeck, davits or tow it. I've done all three. I prefer my davits.
There is a fourth option, which is to use an inflatable and to stow it when not in use. There are plenty of <60lb inflatables that will pack down small enough to disappear into a cockpit locker on a 35' boat.

Some boats also have room to fit a dinghy under the boom, behind the mast.

I use a rigid dinghy (Dyer Dhow Midget) and carry it on the foredeck on longer days or where rough weather is possible and tow it on short days when rough weather is not a concern. It doesn't really get in the way, I can still get to the anchor locker and rig a spinnaker with it on the foredeck. I'm not going to lie and say that it's just as nice as not having it there, it is nicer when the foredeck is clear, but it isn't a major hassle having it up there.

How well that works can depend heavily on the boat. On a boat with a babystay and/or a narrower beam (like my friend's Yankee 30) a rigid dinghy on the foredeck would be more of a hassle.

I use the rigid dinghy over an inflatable because I prefer how it rows. I do use a motor on it from time to time, but I prefer to row it unless I'm going a long distance.

Last time dinghies came up RIBs with a folding transom were mentioned. I'm curious about those as an option but the cost and weight are prohibitive.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I do options one and three, as I don't have davits. But, I keep thinking about getting them.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 3 Weeks Ago

SchockT is on a distinguished road

We had a nice 10' Whitehall style tender which was beautiful to row, but a hard dinghy is a real P.I.T.A. in my opinion. We ended up getting an 8.5' Aquapro aluminum hulled RIB with a 4hp Yamaha 2stroke. It fits on the foredeck even with the babystay, but we never put it there. The outboard mounts on the pushpit and we tow the dinghy. It works great for the 3 of us but it will only plane with 1 person in flat water. It is rated for 8hp, but I wouldn't want to lift a bigger outboard on and off without some kind of davit.

The aluminum hull is much lighter than plastic hulled ribs...less than 100lbs, so I can lift it onto my foredeck without any mechanical assistance.
The nice thing about inflatable boats is that they are just like giant fenders! You don't have to worry about scratching your boat when getting in and out of it at anchor, and they are extremely stable.
Hull#101
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Portabote?

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

We have a 9.6 on the foredeck of our 31'. Sure it's close quarters, but you should be able to do it easy (unless your getting a 12'). We've even flown the spinnaker with the dink on the foredeck.

We bought a Saturn inflatable and have a Suzuki 2.5 stored on the stern rail. love it.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career