Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Trying to sell? Don't publish HIN!!

I recently offered my boat for sale on a website that requested my HIN. The purpose was to link prospective buyers to a website that uses your HIN to search for records of accidents, salvage, sinking, hurricane exposure, etc.

I was surprised to see that the link showed that my boat had two records of incidents. To find out what those incidents were, the buyer (or seller) has to pay $45.00. I have owned this boat since it was almost new and I know of no such incidents nor have I found it to be unseaworthy in any way. I believe they mis-typed the HIN into the database. Even if I pay for the records to see if what they claim is true, I probably can't get them to believe that they are wrong and change it

The day this link was attached to my ad, the inquiries stopped cold. Why would anyone pay to see the record of a boat with two unknown incident unless they are seroiusly planning to buy it? And why would anyone seriously plan to buy a boat with serious issues? Easier to pass on it.

To their credit, the website that placed my ad refunded my money, but now I have one less avenue to use to sell.

Max
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why you publish or include the HIN in an ad? There's no reason to publish or include the HIN in an ad. It doesn't give you any advantage, so why bother?
Old 05-05-2006

You're right

You are correct, of course, SailingDog. In this case, the website requested that all sellers provide their HIN so that buyers can check the boat for problems in advance of paying for a survey or a visit.

I provided my HIN never suspecting that any records of incidents would appear nor did I suspect that they would indicate that my boat had two such incidents and then want $45.00 just to find out what they are.

I noticed that I was the only seller who actually provided my HIN. Guess the joke is on me.

Max
Old 05-09-2006

TUNDAR4 is on a distinguished road
Ok What Are You Selling And Where Is It ;;thanks (no Hin) Ha Ha
Old 05-09-2006

Charlie R is on a distinguished road
While looking for an O'day 222

I also ran across this web site too.. I got suspicious when all three of the hin #'s I had given had two items to check out. Don't know what they were cause I didn't pay to look. two boat #'s were fake and one was real.
Old 05-09-2006

Charlie R is on a distinguished road
While looking for an O'day 222

I also ran across this web site too.. I got suspicious when all three of the hin #'s I had given had two items to check out. Don't know what they were cause I didn't pay to look. two boat #'s were fake and one was real.
Old 05-09-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
The HIN can be of value. I've heard plenty of people say "what year and model is my boat" and sometimes, owners are listing it wrong. Having the HIN can confirm just what it is, and perhaps confirm problems with a lien, title, etc. as well. Publishing the HIN can also be bad, because it means someone else now has a valid HIN and can use it to fraudulently "clean" the registration on another boat of that model. (Yes, HINs are altered and forged that way.)

On the other hand, that service sounds like the CARFAX service for cars. In theory Carfax is great, it lets you find out if the car you are looking at has been in accidents, etc. In practice? Carfax has a corrupt database and takes no remedial actions about errors reported to them. I'm the original owner of my car, I know exactly where the title is and has been. But according to Carfax, a second or duplicate title was issued on the car, without my knowledge. Carfax is the only place that "knows" about this other title, but they refuse to respond to questions or complaints about their records.

With policies like that...who can believe anything they say?

If any service doesn't provide good customer service, forget 'em.
Old 05-15-2006

Gex is on a distinguished road
As the above poster said, it could be just like carfax. when I bought my used car I decided I would try it and pay the 25$ fee to check out what my "6" incidents" were.. turns out it was just insurance company policy renewals and changing the company.

Might be the same for you too if you had changed your insurance company for the boat twice?

- Dave
Old 05-15-2006

Thanks

Thanks for your relpies to my original post. You made some good points. In fact, I now feel more like an idiot than when I first started this thread.

Max
Old 05-15-2006

cklanac is on a distinguished road
I just entered the HIN for our brand new Jeanneau 43 DS, And guess what... Their system show 2 records.

I think the boat history report site is a scam...

-ck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.