Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2006

Neicy is on a distinguished road
Lightening Ground Fuse

Trying to find a fuse for a 30 yr old Dufour. Boat survey indicated "lightening ground fuse needed replacing" on system. Have had no luck finding a fit. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
I'm no electrician but I WOULD CHECK WITH ONE. If a "Lightening Ground fuse" blows you are no longer grounded and have no protection. You'll get fried in a strike.

That sounds like a rookie game to me. "find me 100' of shoreline" "Need a board stretcher", "Find me a smoke bender" etc.
Old 05-08-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
Neicy, are you translating this? Because if that is not a translation error, and a surveyor in the US actually wrote that, I would suggest he needs to be keelhauled.

Lightning grounds never are fused. They never need fusing. The nature of lightning is that you want the entire strike to always go to ground, and the ground bus itself will literally blow away (like a fuse) if the strike is excessive. There are no fuses on the consumer market that are designed to take megavolt megawatt service, which is what your lightning ground is designed for.

If, as it suggests, someone actually CHARGED you for replacing such a fuse? Then they should be keelhauled twice, and turned over to the local authorities for fraud.

Just remember, at least here in the US, you need an EPA permit before you can conduct a keelhauling.
Old 05-08-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
No Way!!! So me the fuse holder

I have to back up Jared on this. The lightning protection should go directly to a ground plate of sufficent size.
If there is a fuse in it I would like you to take a picture of the fuse holder.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 05-08-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It'd have to be a pretty big fuse, if it is rated for a lightning ground. ROFL, sounds like you're looking for a left-handed monkey wrench to me.
Old 05-08-2006

Neicy is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, maybe I did not make proper reference. I quoted from the survey under "Remarks that apply to Maintenance".
#12) Lightning ground fuse is missing. Replace. My surveyor was CMS,AMS .
In addition my Dufour boat manuel says as follows: "The entire rigging is grounded by a metal strap connectin the forestay chain plate to the keel. Under normal conditions this circuit is cut by a lightening conductor fixed on the strap situated on the hull behind the main bulkhead. The lightening conductor bulb may be reached from the fore sole of the main cabin. The circuilts is only reestablished if there is an electric discharge of high intensity. This allows use of the rigging as antenna. The antenna connection to the backstay is made inside the inner lining." The piece in question is a black plastic electrical grounding terminal about 5-6" in length that is located under the sole floorboard in the bilge area. The fuse I am referring to is in this terminal and about 3" long. I have not been able to find it at any of the marine stores in my area. I have had the boat since last June and have been trying to bring everything up to snuff.
Does this change your opinion?
I have trouble finding anything to replace anything on this 30yr boat. I am also looking for a water filter replacement, and a manuel bilge handle replacement.
Old 05-08-2006

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Static discharge cylinder

The "fuse" to which you refer must be a spark gap discharge unit intended to dissipate any direct or indirect hit but not be conductive at typical DC voltages. These are common on large towers and most ham radio antennas and, from your description, sounds like you are looking at the same thing but were mislead by someone's inappropriate name. Any surveyor in the business for more than 10 minutes should know this!
Don
Old 05-09-2006

DeepFrz is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you talked to Dufour? They should be able to help.