Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2006
tanuki

enadler is on a distinguished road
leaking water tank

we have a 40' Jeanneau DS, and recently found that the forward water tank, stored under the V-berth has an internal crack causing the 50 gal tank to leak. The tank is molded to fit against the starboard hull and the crack is on one of the two internal "pyramids" which divide the tank into compartments. A previous repair attempted to mold fiberglass sheets into the exterior V at the bottom of the tank, but this seems tom have given way due to pressure changes in the tank along with normal hull vibrations.

I am looking for suggestions (short of full replacement) as to how to effect a repair of the crack. The crack is visible through the viewing port and I am hoping there is some sort of resin/patch that can be applied within the tank to seal the crack. The crack itself is only 3-4 inches in length.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you can reach in through the port and reach the area in question, you might want to try laminating the area with kevlar rather than fiberglass, as the kevlar is quite a bit stronger in terms of shear resistance....you will need to re-coat the interior of the tank once the repair has been made with a coating that is safe for potable water tanks.
Old 05-09-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
If the tank is bone dry and absolutely clean, you probably can seal the crack with MarineTex, a high quality epoxy material. I'd overlap the crack by applying plastic (or copper, if you can still find it) window screen material for about 2" on either side, and then press the marine-tex through that, forming a mesh reinforced patch with plenty of surface area.

I'm not sure if MarineTex is recommended or approved for use in drinking water tanks, but if not, you should be able to find an epoxy that is.

If you can't fully access the crack, the other conventional alternative is to put a blivet (Nauta expandable bladder, etc.) inside the tank as a liner. It will fill the entire space once the baffles are removed, and if you place another material in between the blivet and the tank (like rubber matting) to prevent chafe, be very reliable.
Old 05-09-2006
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Leaking Water Tanks

We're dealing with the same problem on our 38' Kadey-Krogen cutter and one of it's stainless steel water tanks that has a just discovered prior repair using some type of putty. In the past we've had success using a combination of JB Weld followed by several coats of Microseal (a liquid sealant that can be used for almost any type of tank leakage). Both repair materials are non-toxic and good for water tanks per their manufacturer. We'll be doing both tomorrow and if for some reason if doesn't work we'd probably go with a recommended Plastimo soft bladder tank. Good Luck !
Old 05-21-2006
tanuki

thanks for the input, we tried the JB Weld; didnt take, imagine that. Tride the fiber glass again, no go. Talking with a welder regarding trhe possibility of welding plastic, will update. Thanks agwain
Old 05-21-2006
tanuki

no go, plastic tank, couldnt get anything to take, looking to welder, and then a replacement tank of aluminum, thanks for input
Old 05-21-2006
tanuki

thanks for input, with plastic have not found any repairs, talking with a welder, but also looking at a replacement of aluminim, thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 05-22-2006
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Question Leaking fiberglass water tanks

As I mentioned in an earlier response we're dealing with the same issue only with a stainless steel tank. The welder can't get to it but he has recommended a very high-end product called belzona. I managed to acquire some (Miami, Florida company) from a local yacht owner who has used it before and sings its praises. Check out their website to see if it might be a less expensive alternative to new tanks... http://www.belzona.com/
Old 05-25-2006

plovering is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to plovering
I have the same boat with the same issue.I have not found the crack yet but I will look at the top of the pyramids. Talked with a welder today but you must know the exact type of plastic Jeanneau used so they can find the correct welding rod.