Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014

Acameronp is on a distinguished road
Painting My GOB

I bought a '79 Columbia 29 this spring, and at first the paint looked great, but because we have a dog on board, I wash the boat about once a week. Here it is the middle of August and I have paint peeling all over the place. I am starting to wonder if the previous owner didnt us e a hardner or maybe just slapped cheap house paint on it. Any suggestions on repainting it, cost, and how long it should last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Painting My GOB

Old 08-20-2014

appick is on a distinguished road

We painted our 1961 Columbia 29 MkI decks 3 years ago. I think that is that part of the boat you are talking about here. I used Interlux's epoxy primer, and at a few peoples recommendation Brightsides on the deck. It looked great to start with, but 3 years on it looks kinda shabby in the high traffic spots. If I was starting from scratch again there is no doubt I would used the Perfection epoxy style paint. We used Perfection on the topsides and it is extremely hard and scratch resistant. It's taken 3 years of wood dinghy abuse rubbing the sides in stride.

The only plus about Brightsides are it's price and it's easy to touch up. The downside is it needs touching up.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting My GOB-shear-stripe-done.jpg   Painting My GOB-2014-port-sheldon-muskegon-beam-.jpg   Painting My GOB-mcs-yard.jpg   Painting My GOB-fordeck-fresh-paint.jpg   Painting My GOB-cockpit-fresh-paint.jpg  

GMFL likes this.
Old 08-20-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Painting a boat correctly is either a lot of work, or really expensive. Doing it yourself involves removing deck hardware (sometimes trivial, or really difficult), and tons of sanding. However, if you do the work yourself, the supplies only cost something like $500. If you are using Interlux products, I would use Brightsides on the topsides, and Perfection on the deck. Perfection is sensitive to wind, temperature, and humidity. You need to pick your days.
Old 08-20-2014

appick is on a distinguished road

Barquito,
Nice looking boat first off! What's your reasoning with brightsides use on the Topsides? Just for touch up reasons? I've found Brightsides to be completely intolerant of water contact. Meaning where my decks run off to the scupper holes in the toe rail, there is a small area where water will collect after a rain. After two years this started to peel and come up. :/ Also where I left my mainsail battens on deck for the winter water collected under them even with the cover on and peeled it the first year... The perfection however seems to almost be impervious, after 2 years with a small section near the waterline under the water all year towards the bow it shows no signs of coming off. Next boat repaint is an epoxy style/ LPU paint all the way!

Yea I found Perfection to be touchy to wind and especially sunlight. When they say to apply it in shade they mean "APPLY IT IN SHADE OR ELSE" luckily I learned that on the first coat!

Yea deck work involved pulling all hardware and fittings save the mast which was up, and the windows which the previous owner had just installed. I don't think it came out too bad. If I'd have used a nonskid paint on the top sides over the brightsides it probably would've worked out tons better.
Old 08-21-2014

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

I used Interlux Interdeck non-skid on my boat - after three years the deck is still looking great. I did the cockpit when I first got the boat also with Interdeck and after 10 years or so it was still looking good. I redid the cockpit when I had to replace some of the core because of water into the Balsa Core - when I redid the whole boat I mixed gray and white to get a lighter color than the base gray that tended to get hot when the sun was out, even here in Seattle.

see below for the article I wrote on the "adventure" of painting

I added sprinkled on a larger grit to more grip.

The New Non-Skid | Boating Safety Tips, Tricks & Thoughts from Captnmike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2014

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
I am surprised how many choose a less expensive and less durable paint, like Brightsides, over Perfection. The expense in a paint job is labor, whether paid out of pocket or one's own hours sanding and prepping. Why invest all that only to cover your work with less than the best, which today is a two-part polyurethane? We are probably talking less than $200 difference here for a 30 footer.
Old 08-21-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nice looking boat first off! What's your reasoning with brightsides use on the Topsides?
I used Perfection on the deck and topsides. I guess what I was trying to say, is that if you were going to use Brightsides anywhere is should be the topsides, rather than the deck. I used Brightsides on my dinghy b/c I plan on sanding and repainting every few years, anyway. I told myself that if I ever paint a boat again, it will be indoors (or at least under a DIY cover).
Old 08-21-2014

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Painting a boat correctly is either a lot of work, or really expensive.
It is work, plan on doing a lot of sanding. When it's all said & done I'll be into it for a boat buck + for materials. Primer-$150, Paint=$540, Kiwi Grip, $200-300. Toss in sand paper, rollers, thinner, etc.

Glad it's only 28', couldn't imagine doing this to a 40'
Old 08-21-2014
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Damn.

It took me a few days but I finally figured out GOB. Am I the only clueless one out here?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.