Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2006

SHANEANDMICKIE is on a distinguished road
Dingy Repairs

Hello All.... We Are New To Sail Net And Currently Docked In Punta Gorda, Fl. We Are In Need Of Some Dingy Repairs And Not Sure Where To Go. We Checked The Florida Boater's Directory And The Nearest Place We Found Is In Sarasota. We Were Hoping Someone May Know Of A Closer Facility To Drop Off For Repairs. We Would Appriciate Any Help And Advice From Anyone.
Thanks,
Shaneandmickie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
might help if you said what make/model of dinghy it is...
Old 05-09-2006

Sialia is on a distinguished road
What types of repairs?

What types of repairs do you need to make. You can probably do them yourself and save money. Before you purchase any supplies, make sure you know from what material the dinghy is constructed.

A couple of years ago I had to repair a 5 inch rip in our achilles dinghy. When I learned how to do it correctly, the repair held.
Old 05-10-2006

Sialia is on a distinguished road
I understand that you have a 1 inch tear or separation at the seam on your Achilles dinghy and that previous attempts to repair this with the manufacturer supplied repair kit were unsuccessful.

Through my experience with tears, large and small, and pinholes in my Achilles dinghy, events that occurred more frequently than I had hoped, I spoke with a lot of people about the best way to make these repairs. Like everything else, the answers were diverse, however, there were some common components.

First, the one-part glue supplied with your kit is ok for pinholes but will not hold up to your one-inch hole. You need to buy a two-part glue made especially for hypalon dinghies – I am assuming that your Achilles, like mine, is made of hypalon - and mix carefully according to directions. The glue for PVC will not work for hypalon dinghies. This stuff is caustic so wear a mask if you can and make sure you have proper ventilation. Read and follow the directions for skin and eye protection.

Both surfaces need to thoroughly cleaned. I remember using acetone to clean the surfaces but there is probably a better solvent for this purpose – that’s what I had. The new patch is probably pretty clean but the area in question on the dinghy is probably in bad shape. Take the time to remove the old glue and any dirt or residue in the entire area. You can use the sandpaper supplied with the repair kit to rough up both surfaces.

If your tear is located at the bumper, you must peel this back and place the patch under the bumper. If the tear is at a seam, you must peel the seam back and get the patch under the top seam and over the tear. I would apply glue to the top side of the patch that will meet the top seam. The patch should be 2 inches larger than the tear. When this patch is dried, you have more work to do. Apply a second patch, much larger that the initial one, at least two inches beyond the ends of the initial patch.

As I mentioned in my first response, I had a 5 inch tear, at the bumper, which ultimately required an inside patch, through the hole – that was fun – an outside patch and a top patch that was quite large. It took more than one experiment to get it right, but, with a little perseverance, this leak was successfully patched. I don’t know if you can get an inside patch through a 1 inch hole. I think you’ll be ok without one, however, if you’re not successful with the methods I suggested, you may have to try using an inside patch.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Sialia; 05-10-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2006

Smile

Thanks So Much For Taking The Time To Help. We Greatly Appriciate It. We Will Try To Do The Repairs Ourselves With Your Advice And See How It Turns Out. Again Thanks Very Much.
Old 05-10-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
Shane-
Assuming the seams are all glued on that dinghy, once one lets go, it may be time to start looking for a new dinghy instead of waiting for more failures. I think Bostich makes one of the hypalon repair kits, special glue and patch material, a friend of mine went that route. (Eventually...too many seam failures, he got rid of the boat.) But it is very much something you can do yourself, just make sure to follow the instructions and be generous about the patch diameter.

If you have ever used ArmorAll or a similar product on the boat, there are persistant rumors that it can actually cause glued seams to release after several years. I never used to believe that, but I've seen the paint release from painted plastic materials after ArmorAll, so there seems to be something to that, too.
Old 05-11-2006

hamiam is on a distinguished road
never, ever, ever use armorall on a dinghy. 303 aerospace protectant is a vastly superior product.
Old 05-11-2006

Thanks For All You Guys Help And Info. We Will Try To Do The Repairs Ourselves And Hope That All Turns Out Ok. The Tear Is Not Right At The Seam But In The Area Right Around It. And It's A Brand New Dingy, Purchased Last Year In April, So Hopefully We Can Salvage It!!!!! It Was Just One Of Those Crazy Mishaps That Caused The Damage. Hopefully We Can Repair It And Go On!!!!! Again Thanks For All Your Info, We Greatly Appreciate It!!!!