Cape Horn windvane. Anyone installed one? - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-25-2014 Thread Starter
first sailed january 2008

Cape Horn windvane. Anyone installed one?

So I'm buying a boat and depending on how low I can get it for there is a Cape Horn windvane for sale that was installed but never used.

I've read good things about them, they look much easier than the aries/monitor style and lighter which is good for the 8-10000 lb. boat I'm going to get.

I've always wanted a windvane. I will also use a tiller pilot for motoring and light weather. What do you think the cost of installation would be or how much was it for those of you that did it? It's drilling the hole that I would have done. That and glassin the tube in place. Since nothing is below the waterline do you have to haulout? I assume so but what do I know, maybe it's easier than I picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-25-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Cape Horn windvane. Anyone installed one?

I know you are on a budget. I great thing to do is not ask how much it would cost to install, but what skills would I need to do the install myself. The skills you learn will prove invaluable to you at some later date when there is no yard around to do the work. Also you will save yourself a whack of money.

My only concern with buying the vane first is whether the boat you buy will take the Cape Horn. For example, on our boat we could not install a Cape Horn because of the configuration of everything inside the transom - we have no lazarette on the centreline and a bunch of things including a large structural knee and some very heavy duty plumbing hoses. Even installing a Monitor meant cutting a hole in the gas locker to get access to the inside of the transom on the starboard side.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #3 of 17 Old 08-25-2014
Banned

Still in biz . So what are you getting ?
A few Superlatives
post #4 of 17 Old 08-25-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

exactly what KS says...get the boat first man

there is also an aries, a sayes rig and a couple of monitors currently for sale in california...

windvane installation depends mostly on

transom design
rig design(think mizzen boom, or a boomkin etc)
RUDDER DESIGN

boat first then windvane

Islander 36 now FOR SALE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 08-25-2014

A buddy did on his Southern Cross 35. He did it himself. but you MUST have the boat first to be sure that it can be installed. He really likes his. It will even steer down wind in light air, something that is a real challenge for most wind vanes.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-25-2014 Thread Starter

Oh boat first I know. I was just thinking. There are so many things that influence my decision on what boat to buy, like if it takes a windvane nicely that would be more reason to buy one. I just don't know how they are installed. What skills would I need? That is a better question. I've done some projects and the have for the most part went well, however I did have that one episode where I hired people to do something and it did not go well so I guess I will install myself. Good point.

post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

well most will require a drill, the need or not to make brackets, the need or not to bend or cut off tubing and then the need to rig lines if it uses them or not

for example some of the simplest to install are the sayes rig and a trim tab off the outboard ruddder

there was a thread not too long ago showing a capehorn being used on a boat not really best suited to a capehorn needlessly complicating a simple design

for example if you buy a boat with an outboard rudder you can install and or make a moitessier type trim tab vane or a murray vane or others...and save yourself thousands

if you have a lot of crap out back some vanes wont work as well...

if you have a very small boat an aries isnt the ideal vane as its big and bulky, the monitor although lighter has the reputation of looking like an oil rig on most transoms

etc

other windvanes to look at

norvane
sailomat
plastik
bouvann kit
mr vane
atlantic vanes made in argentina

etc

Islander 36 now FOR SALE!

post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2014

The Cape Horn are built semi-custom to fit the characteristic of the boat its intended for. It would not be easy to retro-fit one made for a different boat. They rarely come on the second-hand market exactly for that reason.
christian.hess likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-26-2014 Thread Starter

Oh, I thought they were pretty much standard. Two tubes and some blocks and lines. I thought the monitor and aries style were more custom because you had to fabricate the mount. I will check out those others. I would be willing to pay 3-3500 for a windvane installed. Too bad there aren't any boats with them already on.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-26-2014

As posted vane choice has to be matched to the boat, both size and transom configuration. I think a Monitor is ill suited to a lighter boat as it adds too much weight in the wrong location - that is why I sold the one I had when I bought a 27' boat.

In my opinion, after a lot of research and owner feedback, the Norvane is an excellent choice for a boat under 30' as it weighs about half that of a Monitor. It gets very good reviews.
James Baldwin (Atom Voyages - James and Mei) has installed a few on boats under 30' and thinks highly of it.

NORVANE Self-Steering Wind Vane. Stainless steel, servo-pendulum. Powerful, sturdy and reliable for sailboats 20’ to 60’

It is also one of the least expensive quality wind vanes available.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.