Hi Seas 100-C diesel heater manual and wick? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-29-2014 Thread Starter

Hi Seas 100-C diesel heater manual and wick?

Greetings all,

Trying to resurrect my old Hi-Seas diesel bulkhead-mount heater. It's in reasonably good condition and I don't want to give up on it quite yet. Found a thread on the subject but it was several years old.

It's a 100-C model. Worked mighty well on my Cheoy Lee way back when. Never did have a manual for it, so if someone has an electronic copy I'd be forever in your debt if you could pass it along.

Also, has anyone come up with an "ideal" available replacement wick, or the easiest one to modify? Must be something out there but if someone has already solved the problem with success I'd surely like to hear about it.

Thanks much
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-30-2014
islander bahama 24

Re: Hi Seas 100-C diesel heater manual and wick?

I have no experience with the hi seas stove but some experience with house type oil heaters here's an idea that should work or at least some contact info KINDLER WICKING KINDLER WICK FOR OIL BURNING "WICKLESS" STOVES & RANGES

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to newhaul For This Useful Post:
Marcaiche (08-31-2014)
post #3 of 15 Old 08-30-2014
islander bahama 24

Check with Denise030 she may have some ideas as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-30-2014
One of None

I've not been much help on this. but thanks Newhaul for the recommendation

Here's a discussion I was in on. Hi Seas Diesel Heater I guess the guy got it working ok. I has pics
I think you will have make a wick out of a kero heater wick. the valve and fuel supply are always a problem in such gadgets. and "low" is never a good setting.

The wick shop looks like a good source!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-30-2014 at 07:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
Marcaiche (08-31-2014)
post #5 of 15 Old 08-30-2014
islander bahama 24

You worked HVAC on the east coast I'm west coast there is mostly fuel oil here is mostly natural gas I was also thinking on wick for kero heater as well.

post #6 of 15 Old 08-30-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks Newhaul and Denise for your help....much appreciated.

Bud at Westsail Parts was kind enough to send a scan of the Hi-Seas manual...absolutely essential, so if someone else needs the info please feel free to contact me and I will pass it along electronically :-).

As far as the wick goes, mine is intact but not in great shape. Conferred with Miles at The Wick Shop about it. I'm going to disassemble the Hi-Seas again, get some pics of the wick and accurate measurements, and send them along to him. He uses the very best materials and it sounds like he can make an excellent, robust replacement vaporizing wick for the 100-C heater...and at a very reasonable cost IMHO. I'll test one to confirm performance and then he'll add them to his inventory list. EXCELLENT NEWS for other Hi-Seas owners!

As far as the metering valve goes, if someone else has one of these heaters and can't get it to work, just about any generic valve can be mounted. As long as the burner isn't completely corroded there's no reason not to return a Hi-Seas heater to service...since it looks like (hopefully) a replacement wick will be available in the near future.

If a person takes the short time to learn how to properly set-up and operate a wick heater they will likely find them preferable to the "pot-burners" currently on the market....simple, safe, and very good performers. Probably lots of these out there in storage because no parts, ie: wicks, were available. I see them go real cheap on craigslist now and then in the pacific northwest.

I need to fabricate a damper for mine and find a charlie noble and associated pipe and caps for the installation but am looking forward to the overnight warmth during winter sailing.

I will post on the new wick and how it performs after installation. As I mentioned, if anyone else has a Hi-Seas give me a shout and I'll be happy to pass along any info I have acquired.

Newhaul: I used to keep my Cheoy Lee at Everett. Split my time on either side of the Cascades now. My little Electra MORC sloop is on the hard in a barn near Sultan at the moment. She'll be back on the water soon. Actually was considering getting on the list for Kingston Marina...seemed like real nice folks the last time I was there as a transient and I liked the idea of stepping off the ferry and right into the marina.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-30-2014
One of None

Trouble is all new wicks are made from Fiberglass.. they turn into.. yeah.. glass. the old asbestos was perfect but carcinogenic.

Why not post the manual here so we can all have it? It comes up allot in other forums.

Suggestion.. be ready to use Kerosene it's just cleaner then diesel

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-31-2014
islander bahama 24

Actually I my boat is in the bremerton marina with no wait list my lil morc boat what cheoy did you have?

post #9 of 15 Old 08-31-2014 Thread Starter

Denise,

Absolutely correct! Actually, I think Miles produces "historically accurate" wicks for antique collectors made out of asbestos, with the obligatory proviso vis-a-vie the legal-eagles concerning health issues. I will ask him about it, although I know the original hi-seas wicks were fiberglass. Asbestos could be the better route of course.

I always use "Jet-A" in my kerosene heaters and lamps whenever possible (I fly). It's highly-refined kerosene with better quality-control...wicks hold up better, less soot and smoke too.
Also...if you live near an aerofield that pumps jet fuel, they are required to "sump" their trucks to check for water, etc. on a daily basis. Often they have a 55 gallon drum somewhere that those sump samples go into that they have to pay to dispose of, and they're more than happy to have an enterprising soul remove it for free... ;-)

I will post the Hi-Seas manual when I get somewhere with a decent web connection. Is there a particular place on Sailnet where it should be posted?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-31-2014 Thread Starter

...oops....one more addendum to the previous post:

Jet-A often can be found with or without "prist" or some other anti-biological additive. Little buggers like to grow in kero-fuel during storage periods, and the additives prevent it. I've never had a problem with wick heaters when using fuel with an anti-biological, but your mileage may vary.

If you can find an FBO at an aerofield willing to give you their sump jet fuel, it will likely be a mix of fuel with and without the anti-biological, and the diluted amount will be too negligible to give a thought to.

'nuff said ;-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.