Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Marcaiche is on a distinguished road
Re: Why do people still use depth sounders?

Christian,

Never thought of using a wax ring before! Heckuva slick and simple idea that! Gonna definitely give it a try at the next opportunity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 2 Weeks Ago

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
Barefootnavigator does win the award for most-replies-per-new-thread-started. Well done sir!
he has a gift thats for sure
Tenoch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcaiche View Post
Christian,

Never thought of using a wax ring before! Heckuva slick and simple idea that! Gonna definitely give it a try at the next opportunity.
I feel bad I cant remember who exactly it was but it was on another depthsounder thread, Im truly greatfull for the tip...(I was contemplating making the pvc mineral oil cup, but this beats that for simplicity and quickness)

I beleive the shoot thru hull thread

its really works and no part is hard now to remove...I can simply take it onto my next boat or kayak or whatever

plus I get cool features you dont get with a depthsounder, temp, voltage and bottom countour

and FISH! jajaj

I got the garmin echo 150...budget but good rep.
Marcaiche likes this.

Last edited by christian.hess; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:57 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I haven't ran aground in 27 years, the last time I did I had a depth sounder. Since then I have been using a lead line although I really don't use it that often. Sure there are forward facing sonars but I doubt many of us have those. So with all the excellent charts and charting devices we have these days is there really any reason to cut another hole in your hull? It seems like a depth sounder is really only good for telling you what you just hit but my guess is by that point you don't need an electrical device to inform you that you are hard aground or sinking.
Gee, ever hear of the one hundred fathom curve in your 27 years of not running aground? As every chartplotter, cruising guide and even some charts out there have this little note on them that warns that they are handy dandy reference materials, but should not be used as one's sole method of navigation, why wouldn't one have a depth finder aboard?
Your lead line is not going to tell you when you've just crossed the 10 fathom curve (the water might shoal precipitously from there), when you are too busy to use it, as a singlehander (if I remember right you are a singlehander, aren't you?).
I could give a hundred reasons why a depth finder might be useful, but not one single reason not to have one aboard a boat today.
bljones likes this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'll give you one reason: dirty hipsters.
Minnesail likes this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The number of times that the depth sounder on my boat, which draws 5.7', showed 3.5 and caused me to wonder WTF? made it virtually useless.
Was it calibrated? Was it showing depth below keel, depth below transducer, depth of water, or some random, uncalibrated number? RTFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
After I had the bottom painted, and the yard-monkey slapped paint on the transducer it stopped working entirely.
Then the yard owes you a haul and cleaning.

By the way all the spiffy stuff that the fishfinder does happens in software. The transducers are the same.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I went even simpler...somebody on here reccomended toilet wax to install the transducer and it works like a charm! best trick yet

I just sanded smooth the glass and made a nice bucket shape and pressed firm.

Christian has the wax been holding its shape well in your tropical locale?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Christian has the wax been holding its shape well in your tropical locale?
because of the heat the wax is a lot softer to mold, basically you just squish it in your hands and set it once and forget it...I do notice though since I have very shallow bilges that the wax leeches some, Im assuming the wax is a parraffin type wax.

I noticed that if my water in the bilges touches the wax it will leech off. nothing horrendous but something to consider

i.e trick you into thinking you have a fuel leak...might not apply to paranoid owners per se! jaja

the wax itself has held with the heat(the bilges are around 88f) and the transducer hasnt moved...but its only been on less than a month...

time will tell

I could install it under the v berth or something too but I simply installed it next to the old transducer which should work, I just need a compatible signet display to hook it up to again but thats will take patience scanning ebay and craigslist for a replacement since the display only new costs something like $300!

peace
fryewe likes this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

My depth finder shows me fish, too. Let a chartplotter tell you that.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Mine is most relevant during anchoring. I'll glance at it from time to time while sailing, but almost never sail in areas where I don't know the local hazards or haven't checked the charts.

Having said that, I've seen plenty of charts that were either outdated or simply incorrect. With variables such as tides, water level fluctuation (a recent concern in the Great Lakes), shifting shoals, etc. I find that I'm more confident when using both charts and a sounder, even if they may sometimes be redundant.