Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-24-2006

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Waterproofing Bimini

My Sunbrella Bimini is 4 years old now and is leaking in water when there's rain. I treat it with High Tech 303 but still it leaks when rain. I've also tried 3M Scotch Gard Fabric/Carpet Protector but its useless as well. Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2006

RichH will become famous soon enough
Wash it in mild SOAP to remove all the accumulated dirt, air pollution, etc. then reapply Apseal 303 water repellent .... not to be confused with Apseal 303 fabric protectant.
Most of these 'water repellents' are being rapidly removed from the market place due to apparent 'grave' environmental concerns .... 3M supposedly removed Scotchguard (in its original formulation) about 3-4 years ago ... so if you are using Scotchguard, etc. it may not be as effective in any 'new' formulation.
Old 05-24-2006

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Hi guys
I bought a can of Scotchguard aerosol waterfproofing (sorry can't remember the exact name and the can is on my boat) but I got it from a camping shop where they recommended it for tents. Used it on my awnings and it worked a treat.
Just one thing though, it doesn't take well to rubbing. I removed some bird droppings a month or two later and the awning leaked right there.
If this thread is still running on Sunday I'll get the exact description of the product for you.
Old 05-25-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako
Hi guys
I bought a can of Scotchguard aerosol waterfproofing (sorry can't remember the exact name and the can is on my boat) but I got it from a camping shop where they recommended it for tents. Used it on my awnings and it worked a treat.
Just one thing though, it doesn't take well to rubbing. I removed some bird droppings a month or two later and the awning leaked right there.
If this thread is still running on Sunday I'll get the exact description of the product for you.
Ok, thanks. I'll wait for your return from your boat.
Old 05-25-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH
Wash it in mild SOAP to remove all the accumulated dirt, air pollution, etc. then reapply Apseal 303 water repellent .... not to be confused with Apseal 303 fabric protectant.
Most of these 'water repellents' are being rapidly removed from the market place due to apparent 'grave' environmental concerns .... 3M supposedly removed Scotchguard (in its original formulation) about 3-4 years ago ... so if you are using Scotchguard, etc. it may not be as effective in any 'new' formulation.
Oh my! think I'm in trouble here. I believe I've been using the protectant all along and have been cursing it for being costly and useless.
Old 05-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... I bet the labels are very similar too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH
RichH, if its not too much a trouble, could you take a picture of the "Apseal 303 Water Repellent" for me? I'll have to shop for this stuff. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006

Radicalcy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Radicalcy
Water repellant is not water "proofing"

Keep in mind that water repellants from a can are only that. Repellants. Not water proofing. Repellants only slow down the flow. They don't stop it.
Sunbrella is a synthetic material that is treated with a synthetic glaze in the manufacturing process.That glaze fills the voids in the weave, preventing water from seeping through. Once that glaze is gone, it's gone. No amount of repellant is going to replace it.
The bimini is after all, a sun shade, not an umbrella. It may be time to buy a new bimini, or maybe just invest in a good set of foulies. And after all, it's only water.
Old 05-30-2006

RichH will become famous soon enough
303 Protectant:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

303 Repellent:
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=429

The protectant is for UV, etc. protection
The repellent .... well, 'nuff said.

Sunbrella (Glen Raven Mills) used to recommend that the water repelliency of standard Sunbrella be 'reconditioned' with 303 Repellent .... so as not to void the warranty when restoring repellency. This direction for restoration of repellency used to be on their website.
Sunbrella "Supreme" has an acrylic coating on the reverse side to aid in water repellency ... and this stuff is new. But as I stated before most of the phosphofluorine water repellents are being withdrawn from the marketplace ... so I 'imagine' that Sunbrella Supreme will probably / eventually be the 'substitute' for the standard Sunbrella. Standard sunbrella for years has had the phosphofluorine chemicals added (not a 'coating') but one must expect such fabrics to fade into oblivion with the withdrawl of the 'traditional' repellent chemicals.
Old 05-30-2006

RichH, thanks for the info! I've seen that new Sunbrella material before (with acrylic coating on underside) but didn't realise its new stuff. Thought it was a fake Sunbrella since mine that comes with the boat looks different LOL! Now I know better.