SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Schaefer Snapfurl (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/1656-schaefer-snapfurl.html)

Dave D 07-06-2001 08:37 AM

Schaefer Snapfurl

I am considering the Schaefer Snapfurl for my 24 ft S2 7.3. Has anyone else installed one? How well did it work. How difficult to install?

The other possibility is a CDI flexible furler. However, the review I read in Practical Sailer rated the Schaefer above the CDI and I like the idea of using a regular halyard, rather than an internal one.

Thanks,
Dave Downs

Balmybarry 07-15-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Schaefer Snapfurl

I would advise caution when thinking of buying Schaefer's Snapfurl. I have a 24' C&C Shark and ordered a new headsail this Spring. It was delayed in delivery, so, embarrassed, my sail maker volunteered to install the Snapfurl I had bought at the Boat Show for me. Thank goodness he did. He is a strong young man, I'm not!
Firstly the extruded plastic comes rolled up in a box, so it has to be straightened out. On the cover of the Instructions manual is a warning not to attempt to install in cold weather. "Cold" is a relative term. What's cold where Snapfurl is manufactured would probably be considered mild in Canada. Eventually, in June, with the help of a heat gun and after a considerable struggle we (mainly he) finally snapped the two halves of the furling gear on to the forestay, but we had to do this on land after taking down the mast. It should have been possible to install the gear on the forestay on the boat, but that proved to be impossible.

In theory Snapfurl looks ideal for a small boat; in practice its installation was beyond me!

T37Chef 07-15-2013 12:27 PM

I don't know much about either the Snap Furl or the CDI, other than they are considered "economy" units. That said...there are a few things I wouldn't go cheap on with a boat, sail handling/furling is one of them for sure.

You should at least price Harken, Pro Furl, Furlex, etc and think what it would be like, just when you need that furler to do its thing with a approaching storm and then it jams! ;)

overbored 07-15-2013 12:35 PM

in the instruction it does not say cold , it says nothing lower than 60 degrees F /15c. I did one for a friend and in 75F it was not that hard to install. snapped together as we push it up the forestay. the foil does not seem that it can be un-snapped so if you have any time on the forestay you might want to replace first.

Pegu club 07-15-2013 02:25 PM

I have a Snap furl on my Bristol corsair 24, it was on the boat when I purchased it this past spring. Thus far it has worked just fine, unfurls and furls smoothly without any large effort.

I will state that this is my first boat so there you have it. Good luck on your choice.

PaulinVictoria 07-15-2013 11:06 PM

Have a look at the Alado furlers. If you are into time travel anyway. Not that they are bad, but I just noticed the OP was from 2001 so likely has purchased something by now :D