Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014

Bfranchini is on a distinguished road
Mistral 16 pocket cruiser

Hello to all
I just purchased a new Mistral 16 Cabin and I am in the process of restoring it while I wait for the next season.
First, if there are any owners of the Cabin version I would appreciate some explanation or even a picture of the forward bulkhead and shelf. The former owner clearly wanted to access the forward compartment to secure the trailer U Bolt, which he remounted without any washers whatsoever... So it pulled out again... Fixed but now I still have an ugly hole that was cut with a jigsaw... I will install a 9x11 hatch.
However around the upper part of the bulkhead where it meets the hull there is approximately a 1/2" open space space that, I assume, must have been filled by some sort of gasket... I intend to fill it with marine silicone? Am I doing this right? Or is the bulkhead supposed to be detached from the hull? Seems strange...

Second question
Why is there a 2 or 3Kg cast metal rudder head ? Seems to me that with this contraption plus the 4HP outboard, things are staring to get a little heavy in the back. is it necessary? I could make a perfectly good wood rudder head out of some hardwood. what would it do to the sailing qualities of the boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Mistral 16 pocket cruiser

Quote:
Second question
Why is there a 2 or 3Kg cast metal rudder head ?
Just happened to see another thread that said the rudder can lift at speed. Maybe the weight is to keep is down. However, if you turtle, it will send it to the bottom of the lake.

Do you have any pictures of the hole in the bulkhead?
Old 09-20-2014

Thank for your reply

Concerning the weight, your suggestion makes sense, I will make a plain hardwood rudder and see how she behaves. I don't like removing the rudder every time I trailer the boat but that bulk makes me nervous. Concerning the loss of rudder when turning turtle, there is a hold down rope that is attached to a V cleat on the tiller that holds the rudder assembly and the tiller together. The tiller is kept from falling out by the traveller mounted on the transom, or so one hopes...

Concerning the hole, I have included a picture. As you can see there is a shelf in front of the bulkhead, this is screwed to the hull with two small screws. When you remove the shelf, the bulkhead has exactly the same hole. Whoever did this was not aware of the double layer and cut through shelf and bulkhead together.

Now.. If you look at the rim of the shelf/bulkhead you will notice that there is a gap and that there is no paint in that area, so I must assume that there must have been a rubber gasket or silicone there, in fact the space behind the bulkhead seems to lead straight to the bilge and it would make sense if it were water tight... But then, who knows...
Attached Thumbnails
Mistral 16 pocket cruiser-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bfranchini; 09-20-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

Q. What is a "pocket cruiser"?

A. A boat that is really not big enough.

Just another foolish, overused, yachty term
Old 09-21-2014

It's big enough for me, however, I did not realize that I would,offend people if I used the term Pocket Cruiser which is the term used to describe it on some specs I found. If I have offended anyone by the use of this term, I sincerely apologize and will endeavor to buy a bigger boat as soon as I can scrape up the funds to do so.

Presently I am having a great time restoring the boat and customizing its interior cabin and the reason for my post was to get more details on the design from people with more knowledge and experience, not to discuss the merits of some terminology.
Old 09-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranchini View Post
It's big enough for me, however, I did not realize that I would,offend people if I used the term Pocket Cruiser which is the term used to describe it on some specs I found. If I have offended anyone by the use of this term, I sincerely apologize and will endeavor to buy a bigger boat as soon as I can scrape up the funds to do so.

Presently I am having a great time restoring the boat and customizing its interior cabin and the reason for my post was to get more details on the design from people with more knowledge and experience, not to discuss the merits of some terminology.
Just expressing my opinion on the term.

I didn't say your boat is too small. Just sayin' the term always implies "this boat is nice but not really big enough" and it's been overused for many years. Sailing writers must think it's real salty to use it.
Old 09-21-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Here's the definition of pocket cruiser.

Pocket cruiser

A pocket cruiser, microcruiser, trailer sailer or pocket yacht is a small lightweight sailboat with a cabin, designed for recreational cruising. Pocket cruisers can be readily loaded on a trailer and towed by most passenger automobiles.
Pocket cruiser Meaning/Definition of
WGEwald likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2014

Some are not trailerable?

Sail Far Live Free - Sailboats, Sailing News, and Gear: Go Small and Go Now! 5 Pocket Cruisers to Take you Anywhere
Old 09-21-2014

Part of the definition.

Old 09-21-2014

Exactly my thoughts, my definition is: if you can lie down, sit, eat and drink but you can't pee, wash nor cook, and the whole thing has a cabin and is trailerable then it must be a pocket cruiser. My Mistral is just that! :-)
Anymore suggestions on my bulkhead and my tiller issues ?
WGEwald likes this.

Tags
cabin , hull , mistral 16 , rudder hardware

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.