SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

fife (pin) rail

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sailandoar 
#1 ·
I am thinking about attaching a fife rail with belay pins to my lower shrouds. I am collecting a few more loose haylards, signal, and I need more places to belay them to.

Casdade 36 "Skookumlady"

#2 ·
Toggles!

Assuming stainless rigging:

The rail with pins is a great idea. I have galvanized wire with deadeyes and lanyards and find it best to insert the bar 'inside' the lanyards and lash in place and it can stand pulling either up or down. Inside the bulwark below the bar I have cleats and can loop the line on the cleat and then lead it up to the bar and secure it and the cleat takes most of the strain, other wise it is hard to keep the bar from wanting to twist in the lashings.

With stainless you need to be sure that the lower terminations are well toggled so as not to cause stress cracks from any repeated flexing of the wire in the swage socket or the fork of a turnbuckle on a chainplate, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.