Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Transplanted Yankee

shisaisama is on a distinguished road
Paint for Cabin

What sort of paint should I use inside the hull, down below in the main cabin on an old wooden boat that has been prepped with Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Paint for Cabin

Probably any good paint would stick well over that, but you might want to check with Smith's and the paint company before using any particular product, in case either of them has had issues.

I would expect any good white enamel paint to do, followed in price and durability by bilge paint, urethane paint, and epoxy paint. For non-commercial use, plain white enamel paint probably will do. And since it is a boat, you might add a packet of mildew preventive into it as well. (Again, check with both makers for compatibility issues.)
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Probably any good paint would stick well over that, but you might want to check with Smith's and the paint company before using any particular product, in case either of them has had issues.

I would expect any good white enamel paint to do, followed in price and durability by bilge paint, urethane paint, and epoxy paint. For non-commercial use, plain white enamel paint probably will do. And since it is a boat, you might add a packet of mildew preventive into it as well. (Again, check with both makers for compatibility issues.)

I'd go further and say any interior semigloss, though I would opt for a better brand (Bejamin Moore for ex.).

I did a cabin on one boat, and the lockers in another. There's not much point in going with a topsides paint unless you do the glass finish surface prep that goes with it.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

tommays will become famous soon enough

Valspar exterior at lowes

It just passed the four year test
shisaisama and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
The Following User Says Thank You to tommays For This Useful Post:
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Benjamin Moore has become such a coveted name, that they've reported problems with painters re-using empty cans, filling them with other products, and claiming they are using Benj.M. paint on jobs when they aren't. Go figure, paint is so expensive it is worth "counterfeiting" now.
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Transplanted Yankee

Thanks, guys for the good advice. I have called Smith's in California, the firm that makes the clear penetrating epoxy sealer. They say that the CPES itself is a primer, so there is no need to further prime the surface, nor is there a need to scuff it up for tooth. Any paint will work, but the best is probably a two-part epoxy paint. I think that I may go get some Benjamin Moore enamel at Home Depot. Any objections?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Plausible Deniability

Two part epoxy paints probably are the most durable, but for most of us in non-commercial applications, expensive overkill. Go to a paint store that carries bottom paint, that way everything else will look outright cheap.
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisaisama View Post
Thanks, guys for the good advice. I have called Smith's in California, the firm that makes the clear penetrating epoxy sealer. They say that the CPES itself is a primer, so there is no need to further prime the surface, nor is there a need to scuff it up for tooth. Any paint will work, but the best is probably a two-part epoxy paint. I think that I may go get some Benjamin Moore enamel at Home Depot. Any objections?
You may not need a primer, but you still need an undercoat.

HS is correct, but the other thing to keep in mind is that timber hulls expand and contract, so ideally you need a top-coat that's flexible and won't crack away at the seams.

If you want to do it right, I'd suggest a two-pack undercoat over your CPES in the interior colour you choose, followed by two coats of a one-pack flexible mildew-resistant topcoat (like the Valspar Exterior that Tommays suggested) for the final coats. You could use a regular undercoat on the CPES just fine for years (and many people do) but keep in mind it may not adhere as well in some places if the surface get damp for long periods.

An extra tip: For the bilge area (below floorboards) and anywhere else relatively inaccessible like around the engine bay that's likely to get grime-covered, at the suggestion of a boatbuilder for some years now I've been using International Primocon - it's an antifouling primer, but is incredibly flexible and everything-resistant and does not require topcoating inside.
shisaisama likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic30 For This Useful Post:
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Transplanted Yankee

Thanks, Classic30. You are probably right about an undercoat, for the reason of flexing timbers, that you give, and because the wood is now so dark that the white finish that I hope for will probably take two coats or white paint to achieve. Can you suggest a flexible two-pack undercoat? Manufacturer? Type of paint? Also, is Valspar the best enamel to use as a top coat? I have heard that Benjamin Moore makes some very good paint. Opinions?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisaisama View Post
Thanks, Classic30. You are probably right about an undercoat, for the reason of flexing timbers, that you give, and because the wood is now so dark that the white finish that I hope for will probably take two coats or white paint to achieve. Can you suggest a flexible two-pack undercoat? Manufacturer? Type of paint? Also, is Valspar the best enamel to use as a top coat? I have heard that Benjamin Moore makes some very good paint. Opinions?
Glad to help, shisaisama

Not being in your country I know nothing of Benjamin Moore but have heard good things about Valspar.

I doubt you'll find a flexible two-pack undercoat. You have two options:
1. Something like International Perfection Undercoat which is an ordinary two-pack epoxy that will adhere to your CPES. Smiths may also have an undercoat range you could use that is a close colour-match with your chosen topcoat.
2. If using Valspar Exterior (or similar latex or acrylic exterior enamel) use their recommended (one-pack) undercoat.

Which you choose comes down to money and time, really, with option 1 being the more durable of the two since there'll be a better bond between the CPES and the undercoat. Yes, you'll need at least one undercoat (maybe two if it's really dark), followed by two top-coats for the surface you describe.

Last edited by Classic30; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic30 For This Useful Post:
shisaisama (3 Weeks Ago)