Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-03-2014

seafarer30 is on a distinguished road
sta loks untwisting with blue loc tite?

Hi. I had written a nice long ranting post, but it got lost somewhere on the internet. I'll spare you guys the details this time.

I rebuilt my rig with sta loks. I followed the websites instructions. I also used life caulk and blue loc tite on the fittings.

Went sailing a couple times. I was fidding with my backstay adjuster which is one of the mechanical turnbuckle like ones. and plop the upper part of the backstay falls on deck. It had untwisted after two sails and a couple of days of life caulk and blue loc tite curing.

I had my yard/riggers go up and reinstall it and make sure the other fittings were tight. a couple needed a turn or so. They recommended red loc tite.

I am probalby going to take apart the side stays myself. Have them do fore and back as I don't like climbing mast with a halyard holding it up. Eventually replace fore and back stay with swaged on fitting. I just can't trust it as it is.

Anyone else have such an experience? Any have a rig stay up forever with red ? untwist with red? blue? none? screw it and swage them all sta lok for emergencies.

Things I learned re rigging

1. Measure a lot . cut once. too long in this instance is ok ish. too short very bad.

2. Consider swaging on those stays that have a twisting force applied. Fore stay and back stay. use red loc tite.

3. Don't overtighten the rig. Easier than you think to do when really trying to get that straight mast at the dock . (I didn't do this but was getting closer to it rather than farther away)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2014

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: sta loks untwisting with blue loc tite?

Never had a problem but I do not use loctite or anything on the fittings. The instructions do not mention using anything. where did you put life caulk on a sta lok, that would be like putting a lubricant on the fitting. A big no no in my book. Only time I have seen one unscrew is on a forstay with a furler foil that was below the fitting. Harken now say to not do that.
http://www.stalok.com/t-stalokterminalinstructions.aspx

Last edited by overbored; 10-03-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I re-did all of my rigging this past winter with Norseman and Hi-Mod fittings.

RED Locktite is the order of the day. Accept no substitute.

I've sailed in plenty of snotty chop this year, out in the Atlantic and back. Sent folks aloft with cameras and everything is as solid as the day I made them.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-04-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Never had a problem with the blue loctite on my staylock fittings. Think you need to use a longer wrench and really torgue down those fittings. Recheck the fittings with a wrench after you've put a few miles on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 10-04-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

A well calibrated elbow is no substitute for a torque wrench

blue holds against minor vibrations red done right needs heat to open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-04-2014

In response to overbored I followed these instructions. http://sailmahalo.com/picture_collec...allingStaloks/

I cranked pretty good on the sta loks. Company instructions explicitly warn about overtightening. Next time I'd use a bigger wrench though.

The pros at my yard are really pushing life caulk and red loc tite. My short experience agrees with them. I had to redo a couple fittings so next time I tackle a rig I would get a decent dry fit and then red loc tite and life caulk on final assembly. Anyways hopefully the post gives a couple of tips.
Old 10-04-2014

Huge yes on rechecking after a few sails. Also,going to have the yard go up with a lift and reassmeble fore ans back with the red stuff.
Old 10-04-2014

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road

Do let the lifeseal & locktite cure a bit longer. Make sure your putting the on them the sealant in the bottom of the fitting and locktite on the threads that have no sealant. The sealant will squeeze out after the locktite makes contact. Always always undo and check your wire lay after initial assembly. Then clean threads with solvent before applying locktite.On larger fitting I use a never seize product for initial assembly then must clean threads before final assembly. this eliminates the galling that may occur.
All that said most likely what happened is you let the stay turn when adjusting your back stay therefore actually undoing the fitting your self . Make certain you do not let the stay turn when adjusting any turn buckles swagged or mechanical fittings.

May you weather all storms
Old 10-04-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Loctite is funny stuff. Most people are unaware that it has about a two-year shelf life, and at that point it will never cure properly and should be thrown out. And even new and fresh, it won't work properly unless the parts are BOTH very clean, which can mean clean rags and alcohol or other prep to get any machining lubricant, grease, etc. off them.

If you have the prep wrong or the goo is too old, even red Loctite can be spun off with no effort, by hand. If you do all the prep right, the red stuff will have a much better grip. The stuff DOES work, but only if you follow the directions. (Don't ask me how long it took before I did that.(G)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.