Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2014

mbianka is on a distinguished road
Ace Hardware Antifreeze deal

For those who will be putting their boats on the hard over the winter. Ace Hardware here in the states has a good deal on -50 degree Antifreeze for water systems for the next few days. $1.99 per gallon. Limit of two. At least the stores in my area have the special.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 10-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2014

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Ace Hardware Antifreeze deal

Thank you! Hope not to be using for a while but sadly eventually will...
Old 10-04-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

If it is Camco Artic Ban, that is an ethanol/PG blend and is a price-point product. Corrosion protection is unimpressive.

Probably false economy for most. Camco Freeze Ban is a better product (all PG, better corrosion protection) more suited to the marine market.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2014

capt jgwinks is on a distinguished road

For your plumbing it should be fine if your temps don't go below -30 or so. Use the good stuff in the engine.
mbianka likes this.
Old 10-04-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

So if I put that -50 antifreeze in my engine, won't that make the engine too cold to run? What kind of oil do I need if the antifreeze makes my engine that cold?

Old 10-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Nothing other than -100 is used to flush the raw water cooling system on our motors. That's the burst point, the actual freeze point is much, much warmer.

The freeze point for -50 deg antifreeze is around +15 degs (that's plus 15!) No thanks.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Nothing other than -100 is used to flush the raw water cooling system on our motors. That's the burst point, the actual freeze point is much, much warmer.

The freeze point for -50 deg antifreeze is around +15 degs (that's plus 15!) No thanks.
That may be the freeze point but it still won't expand until a lower temp. Of course, if it's diluted, then the freeze point will be even higher. I just ran 10.5 bottles of -50 through my engine (2GM). Some left over from last year so just wanted to use it. I think my engine will be good this year now my boat is back on the trailer.

Some good points about dilution of anti-freeze: Engine - Winter Freeze Protection Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Here's a video, thanks to Maine Sail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3d2DGIPEAQ

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 10-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
That may be the freeze point but it still won't expand until a lower temp. Of course, if it's diluted, then the freeze point will be even higher. ......
Dillution is another reason I do not use -50 in the motor. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies in the exchanger that may not displace, but rather mix with the antifreeze. -50 degrades exponentially.

As for freeze or burst, I don't like the odds in between. Expansion that hasn't yet reached the theoretical size/pressure to burst something?? Again, no thanks.

Antifreeze, should prevent freezing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-05-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Trying to wrap my head around the freeze point being so much less that the rated freeze point listed with a 52% glycol freeze point listed as -40 deg f here's the chart I found FREEZING POINTS FOR SOLUTIONS OF ETHYLENE GLYCOL

GLYCOL
% BY VOLUME
°F
°C
12.5 25 -4
17 20 -7
25 10 -12
32.5 0 -18
38.5 -10 -23
44 -20 -29
49 -30 -34
52.5 -40 -40. Freezing Points of Ethylene Glycol Mixtures

Old 10-05-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Trying to wrap my head around the freeze point being so much less that the rated freeze point listed with a 52% glycol freeze point listed as -40 deg f here's the chart I found FREEZING POINTS FOR SOLUTIONS OF ETHYLENE GLYCOL

GLYCOL
% BY VOLUME
°F
°C
12.5 25 -4
17 20 -7
25 10 -12
32.5 0 -18
38.5 -10 -23
44 -20 -29
49 -30 -34
52.5 -40 -40. Freezing Points of Ethylene Glycol Mixtures

#1 OP is talking about an "RV" antifreeze. A good-50 product will not be a 50% blend but rather much less, usually between 26% and 31% PG. West Marine Pure Oceans -50 and Star Brite Antigel -50 are two of the best -50F products you can buy (Practical Sailor Sept 2014) and they both have good corrosion inhibition packages too.

#2 We are not discussing EG but rather a PG product. Course the one on sale is not at all likely to be propylene glycol but rather a cheap alcohol blend..

#3 Regardless of what you use for a PG you need to ensure it has not been diluted. The best way to know this is by physically testing what comes out the exhaust or faucets with a refractometer.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-05-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.