I hate boats... - SailNet Community
 411Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 701 Old 10-04-2014 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Angry I hate boats...

Yesterday was supposed to be a happy day. After three months in the yard repairing $14,000 worth of damage caused by the Florida riggers Mack Sails who decommissioned my new boat for transport, we finally were launched into the water. Finally, nearly 4 months after buying the boat, and after insurance battles and months in the yard, we could finally put our first mile under the keel.

Then, the email from the yard. The engine won't start. No big deal, probably a dead battery right? Then, the next email, the engine is seized.

---> ---> ---> --->

How is that possible? The engine surveyed well, the engine ran in Florida, and 3 months ago when I went in the water from the truck, the engine ran just fine. The yard did no work in, or around the engine. Surely it's not really seized.... I go down to the boat, and indeed, the sound of the starter trying to engage, the good voltage at the batteries etc indicate it sure sounds like it's seized. Then I pull the dipstick.

---> ---> ---> --->

The dipstick reads grossly over full. Probably 3-5 times full. The color is greyish, brownish, not fully transparent and smells like kerosene. It's not cooking oil color, and it's not black. Worst part? The last 1.5 inches of the dipstick are blatantly rusty. I then pulled a sample of oil from the bottom of the engine.

That's not a frappuccino kids. That's what came out of the engine oil pan. Clearly it separated quickly and it doesn't look like coolant at the bottom. Since it separated so quickly, it's not likely to be diesel. I'm thinking based on it's color, the fact that it separated and the rust on the bottom of the dipstick that it's likely seawater. Peering into the top of the engine I can see the valves look rusty and when I run my finger over the valves at the top, I get a gritty rusty oily stuff on my fingers.

The yard suggested that water that was in the engine exhaust could have migrated up through the exhaust circuit and gotten in the engine during the bumps along the road in the 5,000mile road trip. I don't see how that could be possible because I ran the engine for 5 minutes at the slip the day after I was unloaded from the truck. If water from the exhaust got into the cylinders it wouldn't have started or ran, correct?

Another thought is a survey finding from the pre-purchase survey. I was told the oil coolers were bad (one for the engine, one for the tranny) and were due for replacement. Could the engine oil cooler have failed while sitting in the yard? Seems unlikely....

I'm not sure where else to look, or what to think. The engine surveyed well except for the above mentioned oil coolers finding and the finding that all the hoses were soft, squishy and due for replacement. The engine is a Ford Lehman 90HP 1985 naturally aspirated 4 cyl diesel with 1450 hours, and the boat is a 1985 Nauticat 40. Again, the yard did no engine work (though they did replace a cutlass bearing) and I can't imagine how this could be the yard's fault, though on the other hand, I gave them a boat with a working engine and I got back an engine that is seized.

I will know more on monday when the mechanics look at it. I really want to pull the injectors and valve cover right now and change the oil 10 times, but I am going to wait for the yard to look at it.

Thoughts? Maybe by next summer I'll actually have a functioning boat again...

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-03-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 701 Old 10-04-2014
SV Skalliwag #141

Re: I hate boats...

So sorry bro! Was the boat at a slip?
post #3 of 701 Old 10-04-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

Sorry to hear. Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems.

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
post #4 of 701 Old 10-04-2014

Oh man...that sucks rocks big time...sorry!
post #5 of 701 Old 10-04-2014
Master Mariner

That is terrible, I am so sorry. I've been following your adventure and was hoping for a better launch day.
It's probably way too late, but if you empty what's in the pan and fill the cylinders, dowse the upper end and fill the oil pan with diesel, it might ease dismantling it. Even if you got it to turn over now, you still are going to need bearings and rings at the least. If you want to sail her down here, I'll help you with the rebuild.
Sorry again.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #6 of 701 Old 10-04-2014 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Thanks for the offer capta. You're a long way from Anacortes though. I bought the boat in Florida and trucked her over here.

The boat hadn't been at a slip but had been in the yard which makes this really strange.

Also if the oil cooler went, the engine shouldn't be hydro locked right? Can you hydro lock an engine by grossly over filling a crankcase?

Damage wise i know saltwater in the oil and perhaps in the cylenders is.... um.... not good. What am i likely looking at for damage? Rings and bearings? What would have happened to them?

The damn engine was barely broken in.....

Medsailor

post #7 of 701 Old 10-04-2014

Was the engine winterized? Did anyone run it on the hard connected to a garden hose? Was an in/out bucket located above the siphon break at any point?

If the oil cooler leaked it could have allowed sea water into the oil and over filled it
midnightsailor likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-04-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #8 of 701 Old 10-04-2014

Dock

These small problems often look insurmountable at first.

Its impossible to determine whats gone wrong and what neds to be done. So just relax and plan things for monday. One of the most important things is not to believe a damn word any mechanic says, especially when they shake their head and start counting prices on both hands. It can take several opinions before the truth be known. So don't just jump with what the first guy says. Get his ideas and then check them with us (or the people here that know somit about the thing under the stairs). Don't go sign your life away on Monday!

Now let me speculate the oil cooler can corrode galvonicaly and some even have zincs in them. Thas an easy way to get water into your oil. Also its an easy fix. Those oil coorers can be opened, cleaned, renewed, resoldered etc for about $100. Its not expensive. Its done by a car radiator shop

As for the seizing... Well, I wouldnt know. But a good mechanics kick in the right place may unseize it... Then you do the oil change ingy a few times and sail off into the night. I.e. You may not need to pull it down.

So just be wary of the guy who looks sorrowfully at it and asks for a few thousand dollars... Get a second opinion, and maybe a third.

Good luck!

Mark
zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #9 of 701 Old 10-04-2014
Just another Moderator

So sorry to hear this, Med.. and of the earlier issues too, must have missed that part over the summer.

Hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 701 Old 10-04-2014 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Faster, you didn't miss anything. I optdd for radio silence while i figured out what to do. I thought there was a fair chance that i would sue Mack Sails over the incident. As it turned out my insurance was willing to pay and they are now suing them so i don't need to be quite as tight lipped. Suffice to say they messed up tge boat pretty bad and its taken 3 months to get her back to the condition i bought her in.

Now let me give everyone the sequence of events for troubleshooting purposes:

1.The boat sat in florida for sale for about 4 years with very light use.

2. In june we took the boat for a trial sail and survey. Everything went well. Ok at WOT. Oil sample came back good excepr high copper (from sitting idle) and the engine surveyed wrll except fot all the hoses being old and the iol coolers needed to be changed. Our surveyors btw were flown out by us and have owned a diesel repair business for 40 years.

3. The boat was trucked from florida to Washington and arrived july 3. Nothing was done to the engine in prep for transportation. The ride was smooth and even lamps that were left standing were still upright on arrival.

4. Boat was yaken from tbe truck to the water. I started the engine and ran it for 5-10min.

5. Realized the boat was way too fubared by the riggers and the boat was pilled and put on the hard. Total time in the water in Washington; 5 days.

6. Yard fixed the steering pedistal, electronics, and masts were stepoed. No engine work was done. The cutlads bearing was replaced and the bottom painted.

7. They launched the boat. Checked the bilge pymps were
Working and attempted to start the engine and it wouldnt crank. They put a wrench to the flywheel and determined it was seized at 4:50pm on Friday.

8. I went to the boat and tried to start it. I didn't try and turn the flywheel. I pulled the oil sample.

That's the story to date.

Medsailor

Ps. Apologies for the typos. wrote this post from a mobile gadget.

Last edited by MedSailor; 10-04-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.