portable generator on 30ft sailboat ? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 06-07-2006

some RV generators like Onan are even quieter. Approved by state parks and such, but I don't know if they make them small enough to be portable.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 06-08-2006

Honda 1000/2000/3000 EU series

The super quiet EU series is great. It is not designed for salt but handles it well if you don't dip it in salt and expect it to do with zero care/maint. The RV crowd loves tham and you can parallel two for double output. I have two 2000EU and one 1000EU. I run the two 2000's togeather to power a small welder for work on our steel boat. The 1000 is the boat's house generator because almost anyone can carry it up/down the companionway. At 48lbs the 2000 is VERY portable but is not lightweight. Most guys could walk down the dock with a 2000EU in each hand. That's 4000watts!!

Need to check the starting current on AC to see if any given generator will start it. Often a gen will run something but not be able to start it.

Mayberry is consistently the best place to buy or at least the price you quote to your dealer to keep him honest.

http://www.mayberrys.com/

Yamaha has started up a line of competing super quiet's and they have some nice features like an easy drain on the carb bowl that I wish the honda had.

Good Luck...!
post #13 of 29 Old 06-08-2006
Captain

I'd like to add my opinion that running a generator on deck in an achorage will bring you scorn and contempt from most of your fellow cruisers. If your noise is annoying me you will get a visit from me and I will politely ask you to cease and desist. I love to anchor out because of the silence and serenity. If you feel you have to have A/C, please stay in a marina or stay at home.

Paul
post #14 of 29 Old 06-08-2006
moderate?

I don't believe the Honda will handle the start up loads of your AC. Why not borrow or rent one and try it out before investing in one.
Two other points:
1. The Hondas are wonderful little on deck generators and can really help keep up your batteries and handle minor chores in the DAYYIME! They are quiet for what they are but that is still NOISY both on board and to others.
2. Try a couple of HELLA fans and make sure you have screens and you'll be fine once the sun goes down. A bimini with side shades or a deck cover makes things more tolerable during the day....or you could go to the Mall!
post #15 of 29 Old 06-08-2006

RV forum for answers on AC and generators.

I am not a fan of generators in a anchorage and trying to run all the comforts of home, but if you must, ...... the Honda EU series is super quiet and you are being considerate of your neighbors to use one. The Honda 2000EU may very very well run/start one of the very very small household window units, but I am not so sure about the standard hatch mounted AC's. It would be easy to call tech support at the AC manufacter and then talk to Honda or Maryberry about the anticipated load. Also, putting the question out on an RV forum would probably get you an answer very quickly. It is what they do every day !!!!!
post #16 of 29 Old 06-13-2006 Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thank you all for your opinions!

I have tried it out with a friend's generator: The Honda 2000EU indeed handles the run AND startup of my AC.
I am well aware of the noise pollution and promise to be very considerate on the rare occasions I will use the on-deck generator. Many powerboaters here in Florida are using them and not always they try to be careful to minimize their impact ....
I think, trying to stay downwind and seperated from the crowd ( if any ) could be a compromise. To all sailors from other areas: The unique situation we have here in the Gulf of Mexico is to have very high water temperatures as well. Of course it could be hot and steamy in other parts of the nation but if you add almost 90 degree of water temperature you feel like in a nice baking oven with upper and lower heat on ...

Again, thanks to everyone and fair winds and always some water under your keels.

Volkhard
post #17 of 29 Old 07-03-2006

I've used the Honda 2KW for 3 years (48 lbs) and they're great for powering my 5200 btu AC unit while on anchorage. Here in Florida we have not only mosquitos but these pesty, tiny no-see-ems that'll make your night absolutely miserable (so much for the windsock and netting approach). You should see what the intial amp draw is on the 10K btu unit. It may be more than double the running load. The Honda 2KW is also good for charging all batteries at the same time saving engine hours. Set the Honda 2KW on ECO THROTTLE and they're super fuel efficient - a good 8 hrs plus on one gallon! Noise wise they're very quiet. That's what got me interested in them initially. You can carry on a normal conversation with the unit running between the two people. I've never had anyone complain of the noise at night. But I've heard other gen sets that are much loader. Just be cautious of the ventilation and may wanna consider installing a CO2 detector to be safe. Let me know how it works with your 10kw unit.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-03-2006
Telstar 28

I believe surfnrg means a CO detector...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-24-2010

I have lived on a sailboat since 1999, and the Honda 2000 watt generator is awesome! It's quiet, 17 hours on one gal of gas, and small and portable.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-31-2010

I've never used a generator on boat...internal or external. I'm about to charter a 42 footer with a generator. We don't run the AC at night and historically we've had to run the engines for a couple hours per day or just to get to our destination without having to tack all over the place. I assume that charges the batteries. What's the purpose of the generator and how/when would I use it?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.